Player Discussion Milan Lucic V.2.0

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I think the Oilers' bias and Eriksson's decline cloud your judgement. He was widely regarded as one of the best 2 way wingers in the game a few years ago (was in conversation for the Selke while putting up 70 points). This is not a knock on Lucic, who was once the premier power forward (with suspect defense).

Lucic is a unique player. There's been way more Loui Erikssons in history than Milan Lucic.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
Still wait and see in my opinion. Liked the signing, didn't overly hate the term (I don't think he's going to fall off as hard as some here). He's done pretty much what I expected of him this season.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I like to compare the Lucic signing to the Marian Hossa signing for the Blackhawks...like one poster mentioned earlier it was a must to help propel this team forward..later on they will regret it (like the Blackhawks will/are) but we can deal with it when that time comes...right now believe it or not Lucic means a lot more to the team then what his points total suggest.

On a side note - he's a lot more knowledgable then I thought of him before. Hes dropping stats right after games that even most of us fans didn't even pick up on.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Wait and see..

Production is fine but defensively he is not better than a pylon on many occasions.
Need at least one playoffs run before making a true judgement on him.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Not sure why a lot of people thinks its complete overpay. The market determined that he was worth more than what we signed him for and he chose to take a discount to play here (assuming that the reports of Montreal offering more are true).

I liked the signing when it happened and still like it. This guy obviously brought more than his production to the team. I honestly don't think he will "break down" as early as people say he will either. He has missed very little time and he isn't some wrecking ball/loose cannon on the ice.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Really liked his play/leadership since late January. Since then I've noticed Lucic starting to play more into a give & go style with Nuge & Ebs. I don't know if he played that way with krejci but he seems to be thriving on it. I don't know if there was conscious effort by the line/coaching staff to play that way but Lucic ability to play that was only adds to his versatility.

His poor hands and foot speed that lead to multiple turnovers in the neutral zone have all but disappeared. His board play and ability to find Nuge or Ebs as they have a step on their man are getting stronger and more precise.

Going forward I would expect the coaching staff ask him to loose some pounds focus on acceleration for next season (ala. Maroon, Kassian). If that is acheived I don't see his contract being a problem down the road and see the similarities other poster have suggested with Hossa (although they are different players).

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I think the Oilers' bias and Eriksson's decline cloud your judgement. He was widely regarded as one of the best 2 way wingers in the game a few years ago (was in conversation for the Selke while putting up 70 points). This is not a knock on Lucic, who was once the premier power forward (with suspect defense).

It's not my Oilers bias clouding my judgement. I live in Boston and was here for the cup run. Prime Lucic (whom we've not seen here in Edmonton) is a much rarer bird than an Eriksson.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I was almost satisfied with his play before the break but recently I've liked a lot of his outings.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Went with "still too damn long" I never loved the contract but I did love the player and although he's struggled to find consistency this season, I'm glad he's an Oiler.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Lucic just played his best game of the season so far. Very smart defensive game tonight.
Looks like he is ramping things up for the playoffs.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the impact that lucic will have long term on the younger players right now out weighs the weight he might be on the end of his deal. sometimes you have to pay for intangibles that a unique player like him bring to the team. you can argue about if there was better options but at the end of the day lucic is an oiler and has be satisfactory up to this point. im excited that he is waking up right around the time the playoffs are coming.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
When Lucic begins to decline, he will have three things in his favour.
1) He is a very big body like Jagr. You can't lose that with age.
2) He has never been fast. This problem will compound, but it means that his current style of play won't be severely affected by slowing down.
3) He is smart. He should be able to compensate for his speed with positioning and anticipation.

He'll be "done" when he's 38, not 34.

For the Oilers, there are two big boons having him off the ice:
1) Leadership. He has a great attitude.
2) Mentorship. If you're a smart player, you can mentor. If you live a healthy lifestyle, you can mentor.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Lucic just played his best game of the season so far. Very smart defensive game tonight.
Looks like he is ramping things up for the playoffs.

+1

Loving his game recently.

Sit Hendricks and play Slepy and JJ and we are a pain to play against.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Comes out in a big game in SJ, throws a massive hit, beats up pure outdated enforcer Haley then proceeds to score 2 huge goals in front of the net like a total beast.

Best game of the year for the Looch, the man is gearing up.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Comes out in a big game in SJ, throws a massive hit, beats up pure outdated enforcer Haley then proceeds to score 2 huge goals in front of the net like a total beast.

Best game of the year for the Looch, the man is gearing up.
Scored the tying goal in the ducks game too. Bringing that cup caliber game in time for the real season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad