Player Discussion Milan Lucic - Renaissance Man

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I like Lucic in the offensive zone. Not so much in the defensive zone. As the matter of fact, I hate it.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I like Lucic in the offensive zone. Not so much in the defensive zone. As the matter of fact, I hate it.

Lucic is like TJ Brodie in the defensive zone. When he's doing the things he's good at, you don't notice him, and he's really helping your team because not many people are good at those exact things.

When he's screwing up, you really notice him and that colours your entire perception of the player because he's trying things that not many people are good at.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Lucic is like TJ Brodie in the defensive zone. When he's doing the things he's good at, you don't notice him, and he's really helping your team because not many people are good at those exact things.

When he's screwing up, you really notice him and that colours your entire perception of the player because he's trying things that not many people are good at.

all I can see is this slow guy that can’t catch up to clear the zone. Once he did there were plenty of bad passes.

Lucic is like Brodie, that’s a new one lol

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
His shot is fast and accurate. The new phrase these days is the Power Five move. Shoot for the five hole on the goalie. Like Looch says, it is a high percentage, low risk target. If he doesn't score chance are there will be a juicy rebound for someone.

Reactions: Fig

Khrox

May 31, 2018
His shot is fast and accurate. The new phrase these days is the Power Five move. Shoot for the five hole on the goalie. Like Looch says, it is a high percentage, low risk target. If he doesn't score chance are there will be a juicy rebound for someone.
I think what catches people is how fast that shot is for not leaving the ice. Watching them, it's in the 5-hold before both their pads are even on the ice yet.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I remember some salty fans saying (a few goals ago)... "Ha ha... can't even lift his shot!"

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
So I am at the Bruins game last night (sit in row 2 right next to the Bs backup net minder...on the tunnel where the Bruins come out) and this big guy sits on the glass right in front of us.

We start talking with him. (Some of the fans seem to know who he is. I hate football but his name is Rob Ninkovich and I guess he used to play on the Patriots).

Anyway he says Looch is a good friend of his. I told him how Looch was a favorite of mine and he calls him up. Looch asked to have the phone pointed at Keith Robinson and Matty Falconer (the Bs equipment guys) . I know the guys who work behind the bench like Looch a lot so they were happy to see him on the phone. We also waved to Looch.

I thought it was cool.

A couple of weeks ago the Bruins honored Keith Robinson for his 2000th game as equipment manager and Looch was on the video. Milan is still loved in Boston.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So I am at the Bruins game last night (sit in row 2 right next to the Bs backup net minder...on the tunnel where the Bruins come out) and this big guy sits on the glass right in front of us.

We start talking with him. (Some of the fans seem to know who he is. I hate football but his name is Rob Ninkovich and I guess he used to play on the Patriots).

Anyway he says Looch is a good friend of his. I told him how Looch was a favorite of mine and he calls him up. Looch asked to have the phone pointed at Keith Robinson and Matty Falconer (the Bs equipment guys) . I know the guys who work behind the bench like Looch a lot so they were happy to see him on the phone. We also waved to Looch.

I thought it was cool.

A couple of weeks ago the Bruins honored Keith Robinson for his 2000th game as equipment manager and Looch was on the video. Milan is still loved in Boston.

Thanks for sharing this. Milan I think is just a great person. I think he really struggled for 2-3 years in his personal life but he’s back to having fun on the ice again and it’s showing. His contract isn’t great, but I love what he brings to the team and I think everyone he meets he touches in a positive way.

I really hope he sticks around in Calgary in some capacity long after his playing days. I think could be an excellent coach.

Reactions: Nanuuk and Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Thanks for sharing this. Milan I think is just a great person. I think he really struggled for 2-3 years in his personal life but he’s back to having fun on the ice again and it’s showing. His contract isn’t great, but I love what he brings to the team and I think everyone he meets he touches in a positive way.

I really hope he sticks around in Calgary in some capacity long after his playing days. I think could be an excellent coach.
I know the loss of his father was really tough on him.

I doubt he would ever return to Boston as his family is out West but many would love it if he did.

I am an older lady and he made a point of always reaching over and high fiving me when he was on his way out to the ice. Maybe I look like his grandmother ! A girl who sits in our section told other fans that I was his aunt (not at all true).

Looch and I both hated matt cooke. After cooke ruined Marc Savard's career I held up a sign saying KILL COOKE. Looch went by me and nodded. He liked Savvy. He also gave me a nod after this incident:

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I know the loss of his father was really tough on him.
That probably had a big part to do with it. But apparently playing in Edmonton also really hurt him. About halfway through his first year in Calgary he actually did an interview where he talked about how his time in Edmonton (and his initial slow start in his first season in Calgary) demoralized him so much that he was considering quitting hockey altogether. Monahan, Backlund, and Giordano were the big part of talking him to focus on finding his game, and learning to enjoy what he does again, and that was a big part of his resurgence that year, and since. And now he's actually enjoying himself out there, and it shows in his play too.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
My favourite thing about this guy is how useful of a player he is, meanwhile sheep on this forum are like ‘worst contract/worst player in the league.’
You can really pick out the people who base their opinion around what's popular/spread around vs the people who have watched the Flames/Lucic with their opinions on Lucic. If they don't watch him he's somehow a slow-lumbering guy who only knows how to hit and is a waste of contract space, while if you watch him that couldn't be further from the truth. Absolutely love Milan

Reactions: Nanuuk and Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
That probably had a big part to do with it. But apparently playing in Edmonton also really hurt him. About halfway through his first year in Calgary he actually did an interview where he talked about how his time in Edmonton (and his initial slow start in his first season in Calgary) demoralized him so much that he was considering quitting hockey altogether. Monahan, Backlund, and Giordano were the big part of talking him to focus on finding his game, and learning to enjoy what he does again, and that was a big part of his resurgence that year, and since. And now he's actually enjoying himself out there, and it shows in his play too.
I remember reading how discouraged Looch was. I am happy he has found his love of the game. For such a big tough guy he is so nice off the ice. I always talk to the guys in Boston who work for the Bruins and Looch is a favorite of theirs too. I know Bergeron, Marchand and Pasta like him. Also Adam McQuaid who is now working with the younger players likes him. The Bruins need an enforcer. I am sick of players running Pasta and Bergy.

Here is another story (but true). It was Pasta's first year. He was pretty skinny and green but we all could see the skill he had. Looch was out on the ice with Pasta and Spooner. I forgot who we were playing but some big player lined Pasta up for a huge hit and Looch skated in front of him and said "not today". :laugh: After the game Pasta (whose English was not so good yet) said he felt like Looch was his big brother.

One good thing about my ST seats is we get to see and hear so much from the bench and ice. We cannot see the far corner because the Bs are in our way but I love sitting there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
You can really pick out the people who base their opinion around what's popular/spread around vs the people who have watched the Flames/Lucic with their opinions on Lucic. If they don't watch him he's somehow a slow-lumbering guy who only knows how to hit and is a waste of contract space, while if you watch him that couldn't be further from the truth. Absolutely love Milan
and I am quite sure Milan feels this from the fans. There were a few in Boston who said the same things but the majority loved him.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
My favourite thing about this guy is how useful of a player he is, meanwhile sheep on this forum are like ‘worst contract/worst player in the league.’
That's just it. He's a good player still, and he definitely has a role. His contract is definitely an overpayment, and by a decent amount. But it doesn't make him the worst player in the league. He's a good bottom 6 guy, with some PP use. His contract is about 50% to big, but I'd take him over a LOT of guys in the league any day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad