Player Discussion Milan Lucic - Renaissance Man

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Okay, let's be reality. None of us were exactly stoked when the Flames acquired him. We were happy that we were able to get rid of The Real Deal James NealTM but lamented the acquisition of a contract that for all intents and purposes, couldn't be bought out.

After a slow start, he's shown nothing but leadership and passion since he's arrived in Calgary, and from all accounts a really good team guy.

This season, he's on pace for 20 goals (on the 4th line!), and continues to show great leadership. What really put me over the top was last night with the empty net, let Lewis score the goal and prevent the Chicago defenseman from taking it away, where he could have easily tapped it in himself.

Like, you know, whadda guy!

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Okay, let's be reality. None of us were exactly stoked when the Flames acquired him. We were happy that we were able to get rid of The Real Deal James NealTM but lamented the acquisition of a contract that for all intents and purposes, couldn't be bought out.

I disagree with that statement. I was maybe a bit disappointed we didn't manage to find a RHS fwd for Neal, but I loved the acquisition because Lucic's underlying stats were very strong even during the ~1.5 season portion of his Oilers career where he was labelled "washed up". Essentially, the biggest thing for me was that he was a huge bounceback candidate on a team that could get more skill on the ice with him (as the Lucic-Bennett-Dube line showed). A lot of people really liked what the analytics said about Lucic!

After a slow start, he's shown nothing but leadership and passion since he's arrived in Calgary, and from all accounts a really good team guy.

This season, he's on pace for 20 goals (on the 4th line!), and continues to show great leadership. What really put me over the top was last night with the empty net, let Lewis score the goal and prevent the Chicago defenseman from taking it away, where he could have easily tapped it in himself.

I'm still a bit uncomfortable going into the playoffs with our current 4th line as they tend to spend too much time in their own zone, but that's not due to Lucic, I think it's moreso the footspeed of Lewis and Richardson though you can't actually root against the Middle Age Maniacs

What I will say, is that Lucic is not a 4th liner. His 5v5 P/60 the last couple of years has been at a top six level, and he's perfectly competent on PP2 as well. When he was promoted to the third line, the bigger issue was how bad the 4th line became. He is a beast.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
fyiv8xspoh181.jpg

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I turned the game on a split second before he scored that goal last night and I honestly thought that was Iggy the way he lasered that wrister in with authority, and his hump disappeared for a brief moment too

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I disagree with that statement. I was maybe a bit disappointed we didn't manage to find a RHS fwd for Neal, but I loved the acquisition because Lucic's underlying stats were very strong even during the ~1.5 season portion of his Oilers career where he was labelled "washed up". Essentially, the biggest thing for me was that he was a huge bounceback candidate on a team that could get more skill on the ice with him (as the Lucic-Bennett-Dube line showed). A lot of people really liked what the analytics said about Lucic!
Yeah which is why it was a qualified statement of "not exactly stoked" but yes, there were intangibles and underlying metrics that he had that were unfortunately overshadowed by the lousy contract Edmonton had to give him to convince him to play there.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
All I know is that Neal had to go and that I cringed a bit when Looch came back, because on the surface, he was in fairly rapid decline.

Once he got here I was nothing but impressed. I'm not one to jump on the "he's overpaid" bandwagon. At least not if the player is giving it is all when playing. And that's what we got with Looch. Especially after our coaching carousel ended.

It almost as if Looch is thinking "Finally! A pro for a coach!" He is having fun. He is mentoring the younger guys and showing them the way to be a pro. He enjoys living in Calgary and his family does too. All in all a positive experience for him and especially now that they are enjoying a good season (so far).

When you're having fun it is not work. When it's not work, you work harder because it's fun.

So yes, Looch is a Renaissance man. I hope he stays for the duration of his contract and beyond (albeit at a cheaper rate :rolleyes:).

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Lucic has been producing like a good second liner since Sutter got here, it’s wild. Hopefully it’s not just a hot streak and he can keep being angry while scoring.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Okay, let's be reality. None of us were exactly stoked when the Flames acquired him.

That's where you're wrong. I was thrilled to get the guy, even though it was pretty clear his best years were behind him. Getting rid of Real Squeal and Oilers retaining was just an added bonus for me. He's never going to the scorer he once was, but he brings a lot of other qualities to the locker room and ice. Plus he genuinely comes off as a really good guy. Loved him in Boston and it broke my heart when he signed with the Oil.

I still need to get his name on my jersey.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Good dude. Stand up man in real life too. I’ve always liked my interactions with him.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'll choke down my portion of crow on this one. Thought Looch was completely done watching his last while with the Oilers. While I was happy to be rid of pouty Neal I still thought he could rebound. Silly of me to forget the getting out of Edmonton effect.

The offensive contributions are gravy but his value goes way beyond that. I noticed especially on that last road trip whenever the Flames were fading a bit and had a couple nothing shifts that 4th line went over the boards and it was Lucic leading the charge moving his feet to get the forecheck going. That line had the Bruins, Sens, and Isles top players chasing them around in their zone on more than one occasion.

Milan himself deserves a lot kudos. Looks to be in great shape and relishing being a leader for this young team. Also haven't seen many opponents taking runs at our star players either. Would still like to see him cross Kassian off his players who need a beating list but very pleased with how he's played in a Flames jersey.

Last edited:

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Purely from a fan perspective it's hard not to root for Lucic. It'd hurt if he was a cap casualty before we could start signing him for like, 1 mil contracts every year. He's just such a likeable, team oriented guy that's super well-spoken, and him actually being able to score is gravy

Reactions: Ladyfan

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I think the big thing with Looch is that hes got a coach that works with him and hes embraced his role. Both have allowed him to relax and just play his game. Hes no longer trying to do too much or force things to happen.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He's one of those guys that plays really well when there's something on the line

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I hope he stays for the duration of his contract and beyond (albeit at a cheaper rate :rolleyes:).
That right there.
If looch was 2-3 mil, I doubt anyone would complain about that contract. And for what it's worth, I 100% take Lucic over Neal, even if you can't buy out Looch. I was kind of hyped for him from the get go

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I REALLY didn't like getting him, but he's been decent and has grown on me. Obviously the contracts a little high, but he does his job and Sutter knows how to coach him. All 3 ex-Kings have been playing good under Sutter. Lucic, Richardson, and Lewis have been effective for the most part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad