Prospect Info: Mikhail Sergachev Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I can not see a way that he stays up past nine games and burns a year on his entry level contract unless injuries hit the Habs backend really quick. He truthfully has too much to gain by going down to Windsor.

First off Windsor has a really good team and he will play 25+ minutes a night there. Then he will play in the World Juniors for Russia and be their top go to defencemen. Then should have a lengthy playoff run in Windsor. Then Windsor is hosting the Memorial Cup this year. He will have that tournament as well.

He will just have many high pressure games this season where he is a go to guy.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
I understand Sergy is something special, but if he plays only 8 min/game, he is hurting the team, not helping. If he was that good, he would get more minutes.

He now knows, or will soon know, how an NHL defensemen plays, what you can get away with, and what you can't. He still tries to take short-cuts sometimes. He can make his game more NHL ready in the O.

Boardish

Mar 3, 2004
Yeah , he looks like he's 25 already lol.

jakob-chychrun__45386_.jpg

He looks like Willem Dafoe's brother.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Played just over 10 minutes. In a game where the Habs had a 2 goal (or more) lead for two periods.

Which leads to Weber playing over 26 minutes again (29 last game). Which is unsustainable over 82 games for a 31 year old defenceman. Also leaves Markov almost two minutes over the 20:00 the Habs staff said they think is ideal for him now.

Unless the staff trusts him, he should go down.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Played just over 10 minutes. In a game where the Habs had a 2 goal (or more) lead for two periods.

Which leads to Weber playing over 26 minutes again (29 last game). Which is unsustainable over 82 games for a 31 year old defenceman. Also leaves Markov almost two minutes over the 20:00 the Habs staff said they think is ideal for him now.

I just fail to see how Shea Weber playing 25.28 tonight is any type of crisis situation over the next 79 games?
It's in the range of his normal ice time ...Weber is goona play 24 to 30 minutes most nights ...that is normal

Serg played 11 minutes tonight(10.59) , better tonight than he was in his last game ....

He has got better every game...

Last edited:

Boardish

Mar 3, 2004

Weber usually plays around 26 minutes per night. It's pretty much his average time on ice.

I agree we should probably lower is TOI so he can be a 100% in the playoffs though, but he's not a 22 minutes defenseman. He eats a lot of minutes.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Bottom line for me is the 11 minutes he played in the NHL tonight facing real NHL situations , is much better for him than if he was in jr tonight playing 25 minutes...

He dangled at times ,got a few shots on net ,threw a few hits busted up a 2 on 1 ....Yes the crease clear and trying to play goalie ended up in the net, didn't work out , but you learn....

Same way i watched Nathan Beaulieu cut out front our net,gets hit loses the puck and it ends up in our net for the 2nd goal...

Young players are goona make young player mistakes.....You gotta live with it

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
Bottom line for me is the 11 minutes he played in the NHL tonight facing real NHL situations , is much better for him than if he was in jr tonight playing 25 minutes...

He dangled at times ,got a few shots on net ,threw a few hits busted up a 2 on 1 ....Yes the crease clear and trying to play goalie ended up in the net, didn't work out , but you learn....

Same way i watched Nathan Beaulieu cut out front our net,gets hit loses the puck and it ends up in our net for the 2nd goal...

Best thing is that, after his mistakes, he doesn't play scared or shaky. He goes right back in there. That's big.

BubbleGumPlant

Jul 2, 2012

I disagree. He needs to play top 2 minutes to properly develop. 11 mins/game = no PP, no PK, no playing the final minutes in a one-goal game, etc. Therien is also not the type to allow players to live through mistakes. It won't be long before Pateryn permanently becomes the #6D on the team.

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria
Sergachev is going to make defensive errors regardless of his age, 18 or 22. The hardest part in playing in the NHL is adjusting to its speed, Sergachev's issue is that he is reacting a second to slowly to the plays going on around him, that's not something he's going to learn playing in the CHL. He is going to improve on these mistakes over the course of the year, if he stays.

If Therrien's plan is to continue playing him 10-12 minutes a night, then obviously he should be sent down because he's never going to play enough to learn in the game. If Therrien thinks he can play 15 minutes a night than I do think its fair to keep him, either way Sergachev can clearly play in the NHL it just needs to be decided if its best for the team and his development to stay and get limited ice time.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I mean... on the bright side, he's getting confidence in his game, clearly. But on the other hand, he's very nonchalant, almost as if he still believes he's in junior where he's head-and-shoulders above the competition most of the time and can get away with his pure skill, and he's very, very inconsistent from shift-to-shift like Eric Engels talked about during the intermission earlier tonight.

He should finish his 9 games here but in no way should he be sticking, and I don't think he will either at this point. The defense is largely set with Weber, Beaulieu, Petry, Markov, Emelin, Pateryn and either Barberio or Redmond as the extra.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Weber usually plays around 26 minutes per night. It's pretty much his average time on ice.

I agree we should probably lower is TOI so he can be a 100% in the playoffs though, but he's not a 22 minutes defenseman. He eats a lot of minutes.

He's played 29, 28, and 26 in the last three games.

Last year he averaged just over 25 minutes a night during the regular season. (25:22)

When the team builds up a four goal lead... these are the kind of nights he should get a little less ice time, so in the close games, and in ones that go to OT (5 extra minutes), he is going to play more. Thats how the average is gonna work. Some nights (not close games) he should be closer to 23 or 24... in close games he can be up a bit more. and average out at 25. In the playoffs he'll be up closer to 30. But you can't have him going 26, 28, 29, every night.

Last edited:

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
any other player and MT would have nailed his a** to the bench for the 3rd

this experience is now over...does not belong
needs another yr of jr and atleast one in ahl

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I disagree. He needs to play top 2 minutes to properly develop. 11 mins/game = no PP, no PK, no playing the final minutes in a one-goal game, etc. Therien is also not the type to allow players to live through mistakes. It won't be long before Pateryn permanently becomes the #6D on the team.
He's could cut off one of his legs and still dominate the OHL he should be in the AHL but he cant.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Amazing to think how Sergachev didn't learn how to skate until he was 9 years old

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
As someone mentioned a few posts...the biggest drawback to his game right now, is he tends to get nonchalant in the defensive zone.

I remember it was one of the knocks against him at the draft, he needs to be more alert, realize that while he can coast in juniors, there's just no time in the NHL, players are on you quick.

But he seems to be getting more and more comfortable...I'm not quite sure how long this experiment is going to last though. How long can the coaching staff keep taxing it's other D in order to shelter Sergachev?

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
The fact that he can’t play in the AHL is somewhat infuriating. He won the best D award as a 17 years old last season and I fail to see what he has to gain by playing again against teenagers. Physically he is ready; he just needs to gain confidence and adapt to the pace of the NHL.

He is progressing nicely on a game to game basis (he made plays, one in particular, that require high confidence and skills last night)... will it be enough to force the hand of the organization? I don’t think so but (1) the weeks played here will benefit him a lot in his development and (2) well... Sergachev is the type of player I am reluctant to bet against: he is a quick learner.

Check this picture out of Sergachev

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLrbFcJhAHf/

To quote Chris Neil: "Emelin hits heavy"... damn that guy is massive! Side note: thus far, Emelin is rock solid out there.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
As someone mentioned a few posts...the biggest drawback to his game right now, is he tends to get nonchalant in the defensive zone.

I remember it was one of the knocks against him at the draft, he needs to be more alert, realize that while he can coast in juniors, there's just no time in the NHL, players are on you quick.

But he seems to be getting more and more comfortable...I'm not quite sure how long this experiment is going to last though. How long can the coaching staff keep taxing it's other D in order to shelter Sergachev?

Every time i brought this up i'd just get called a Sergachev hater (even tho I've been following him since early 2015), do you guys see what I was talking about now?

It's so hard to give an honest opinion on these boards sometimes (especially in regards to prospects), you always either have to be on the bandwagon or not say anything negative AT ALL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA