Prospect Info: Mikhail Sergachev Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Interesting you bring up Vegas. It plays a big role in this years decision. Just my opinion but as a coach he may want him but as a GM its comes down to the numbers. Vegas may be one of the reasons he goes to Windsor to protect assets.

Sergachev does not need to be protected for the expansion draft (less than two years of professional hockey). This will not factor in the decision to send him back to Windsor.

ROEN

Writes for Habsworld
Feb 18, 2008
www.habsworld.net
I disagree with most here in thinking Sergachev should be sent back, his play on the ice right now is being affected by nerves. I've seen guys react like that to a higher level before, they are just lost on the ice, can't process the skill, speed, execution, I remember a few years back watching Dougie Hamilton's first steps in the NHL, Hamilton was older than Sergachev and his exposure to Chara was essential to his development. Spending time around Markov and Weber will settle his nerves, at his age, getting his development curve grinding up against NHL players won't harm him.

When the Flames sent back Sam Bennet a few years back, he responded with a good season last year. Keeping him around the team for a game didn't harm him, I'm sure that Sergachev won't be harmed by sticking around

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I disagree with most here in thinking Sergachev should be sent back, his play on the ice right now is being affected by nerves. I've seen guys react like that to a higher level before, they are just lost on the ice, can't process the skill, speed, execution, I remember a few years back watching Dougie Hamilton's first steps in the NHL, Hamilton was older than Sergachev and his exposure to Chara was essential to his development. Spending time around Markov and Weber will settle his nerves, at his age, getting his development curve grinding up against NHL players won't harm him.

When the Flames sent back Sam Bennet a few years back, he responded with a good season last year. Keeping him around the team for a game didn't harm him, I'm sure that Sergachev won't be harmed by sticking around

Sergachev is a kid and he needs to play. No one can convince me that playing every once in a while in a limited role is better for his development than being relied on in all situations in a winning team that'll challenge for the Memorial cup.

I wouldn't have an issue with keeping him if he were up to the task and proved to be indispensable to the team's success. But he clearly isn't. As it stands, I rather play whoever you'd consider our 6th defenseman over him.

Careers are ruined all the time bringing up prospects that are not ready to the NHL. Let's not risk it with Sergachev. He'll get his 9 games, have a taste of the NHL, and should be back in the OHL after that. No reason to keep him beyond that point.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Like Beaulieu , he will need to work on his defensive game cuz his offence is ok

Every second game or so would be fine

Let him play all season. Will learn more playing 50-55 games in NHL the going back to a league he already dominated at 17

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Having watched Jacques Laperriere, Serge Savard, Guy Lapointe, Larry Robinson, Rod Langway, Chris Chelios, and quite a few more defencemen join the Habs over the yrs. I see no good reason to halt Mikhail Sergachev's development. He needs as much icetime against the NHL pro's as possible, to prepare him for the speed and tenacity that players face in the playoffs. The Habs play already this season gives more than enough evidence, they will be ready for a long playoff drive. In which a player (Sergachev) with huge talent in creating great plays, that speed up the transition game, can not only help defensively but offensively. With the additions of great forechecking individuals like Radulov, Shaw, Carr, Lehkonen to the lineup, adding Weber & Sergachev to our already great Dmen we have, the Habs are definitely going to be an "Elite Contender" for the Stanley Cup Championship.(2016-2017 edition):handclap::handclap::handclap:

50-60 games for Sergachev, we will see a massive development in his game be March / April 2017, believe Dat!!!...:yo::yo::yo:

Newhabfan

Sep 3, 2008
Montreal
The only reason to send him down would be to protect him from injury. He was hit several times and I guess he is a target (being a rookie) for the opponent. He looked lost at times but this could be the normal anxiety.

I'd say give him several more games and decide after - you'll know a lot more about him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This kid is 18 years old and plays D! He's being tested right now and doing very well considering. These 9 games will show him what it takes to play in the NHL and what he has to work on for next season!

Sergachev is going to be very very good! Give him time. It's very hard to make it as a 18 year old Defenseman in today's NHL. He may stay but more than likely goes back to junior after 9 games. I'm fine with either though... I think he gets better by playing with the Habs but it's all about risk vs rewards.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
agree with this post! I think Sergachev has the potential to stick with the team all year. I'd like to see the Habs brass commit to putting a talented youngster in a difficult situation and just seeing how he adapts. of course this is not the appropriate course for every prospect, but with Sergachev... it just may be.

somewhat related thought: part of Serg's appeal is his physical stature. so I think it would do wonders for him if he just LAID OUT some poor chump in his next game, let him gain confidence, let him realize that yeah these are NHLers, but they still fall like dominoes if you hit them right :naughty: can't wait for that to happen

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Sergachev is a kid and he needs to play. No one can convince me that playing every once in a while in a limited role is better for his development than being relied on in all situations in a winning team that'll challenge for the Memorial cup.

I wouldn't have an issue with keeping him if he were up to the task and proved to be indispensable to the team's success. But he clearly isn't. As it stands, I rather play whoever you'd consider our 6th defenseman over him.

Careers are ruined all the time bringing up prospects that are not ready to the NHL. Let's not risk it with Sergachev. He'll get his 9 games, have a taste of the NHL, and should be back in the OHL after that. No reason to keep him beyond that point.

The one thing I'm not worried about with our management is rushing anyone. They've been very good so far with judging who can take the rigours of the NHL and who can't. It's all about the mental. If they feel that MS can play and can handle the bigs then I'll trust their judgment. They can see how he does in practice and if he's handling himself like a pro.

I really think either way he'll end up fine. I don't think 9 games in the NHL will ruin him in a limited capacity. The kid trains like a god damn animal. That's half the battle right there.

To my eye he doesn't look ready but things can change in a few more games when he gets more settled. He has all the tools and has some great mentors. He's also proven himself to be a quick study.

But like you said can he really make a difference right now? That's the question for me because do you want to burn a year of his contract?

I really think either route will be fine. Despite how shaky he's looked at times I still wouldn't be surprised if he sticks. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he starts to impress too. Dude's skills are effing crazy. We're going to be rock solid on the blue line for a while once he's ready. Just get us a real #2 C and we're laughing.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The one thing I'm not worried about with our management is rushing anyone. They've been very good so far with judging who can take the rigours of the NHL and who can't.

To me that very much remains be to seen. Tinordi, Beaulieu, DLR, Galchenyuk, who's to say how things would have gone if they didn't rush them to the NHL? Granted it's still early so things can go in any direction but to me it's still very much a question that we'll find out over the next several years.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

Way i look at this is ,

The day he was drafted SERG said he was goona play in the NHL this year...
He did crazy workouts in the offseason put in his time.

The Habs said he would be given a chance to make the team, and he is here trying to do that.
An 18 year old whom let's not forget got home sick last season(could have gone back to Russia),so the Habs got to play this right .

Keeping him up in the "Show" giving him a chance to make the team, is very wise, because after 9 games
if he can't handle the NHL game even he(SERG) will know that he needs to work on more stuff, and the demotion to junior he can accept....vs getting cut right out of camp after having a good camp ,and feeling he wasn't given a fair chance to prove himself after the hard work he put in this summer and good camp etc....

I can't judge a kid after 2 games...The next few games will give us a better idea .
He is surrounded by a real good support cast of Russians, limited NHL minutes are not hurting him IMHO...It's showing him first hand what he needs to work on .

Last edited:

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
I want him to play his 9 games. He is learning so much by traveling with the team, talking to coaches, practicing/working out with the team. This is gold for any 18 years old on any field. After the 9 game try-out send him back to the OHL, so he can play 30 minutes per game while working his defensive game.

He will be a man among kids and there's nothing wrong with that.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Way i look at this is ,

The day he was drafted SERG said he was goona play in the NHL this year...
He did crazy workouts in the offseason put in his time.

The Habs said he would be given a chance to make the team, and he is here trying to do that.
An 18 year old whom let's not forget got home sick last season(could have gone back to Russia),so the Habs got to play this right .

Keeping him up in the "Show" giving him a chance to make the team, is very wise, because after 9 games
if he can't handle the NHL game even he(SERG) will know that he needs to work on more stuff, and the demotion to junior he can accept....vs getting cut right out of camp after having a good camp ,and feeling he wasn't given a fair chance to prove himself after the hard work he put in this summer and good camp etc....

I can't judge a kid after 2 games...The next few games will give us a better idea .
He is surrounded by a real good support cast of Russians, limited NHL minutes are not hurting him IMHO...It's showing him first hand what he needs to work on .

Sergachev got home sick? What?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Sergachev got home sick? What?

I don't expect that to be a shock. A 17-year old in a new and strange country.

“Yes, it was two weeks ago and I was a little bit (homesick),” admitted Sergachev, the Windsor Spitfires’ rookie defenceman from Nizhnekamsk, Russia. “I was missing my home, my parents.

“I was thinking about it every day and I couldn’t play hockey. I don’t know why.”

http://windsorstar.com/sports/hockey/sergachev-at-home-with-spitfires

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
To me that very much remains be to seen. Tinordi, Beaulieu, DLR, Galchenyuk, who's to say how things would have gone if they didn't rush them to the NHL? Granted it's still early so things can go in any direction but to me it's still very much a question that we'll find out over the next several years.

Beaulieu played 250 games in the Q... 150 in the A... How is this being rushed? Or is this anothet way of showing your bias against him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad