Not open for further replies.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
any other player and MT would have nailed his a** to the bench for the 3rd

this experience is now over...does not belong
needs another yr of jr and atleast one in ahl

Here is the thing,

Sergahev can't play in the AHL for 2 more years....

So it's either Montreal this year or JR

Next year same thing...Montreal or JR

He has to play 2 more years of JR if he can't make the Habs roster.

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Here is this thing,

Sergahev can't play in the AHL for 2 more years....

So it's either Montreal this year or JR

Next year same thing...Montreal or JR

That's the dilemma...He has to play 2 more years of JR if he can't make Habs.

1. I just don't see that he is consistently solid enough defensively to stay up.
2. Big worry on rushing him and messing up his development.
3. I really think he would benefit with one more year in junior, but think it likely it will just be one more year.
4. Play him now and its another D that needs protecting and then we can't protect Beaulieu.
5. We won't get as much bang for our buck burning a year of his ELC now as we will next year when I think he probably will be ready.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
1. I just don't see that he is consistently solid enough defensively to stay up.
3. I really think he would benefit with one more year in junior, but think it likely it will just be one more year.
4. Play him now and its another D that needs protecting and then we can't protect Beaulieu.
5. We won't get as much bang for our buck burning a year of his ELC now as we will next year when I think he probably will be ready.

My worry is , IF he is sent back this year and sent back next year...he goes back to Russia.

I feel he pretty strongly that he doesn't want to play 2 more years of JR hockey.

So what do ya do? Keep him up this year and teach him ...or send him back

Next year if he still isn't ready or gets out played at camp ...Do you send him back to JR?

If that is the case, i could see him going home (KHL)

I seen every game he has played in ,and he has got better each one...Seems to me he is learning.
Any Habs rookie i seen under Therrien all of them start out 9 to 12 minutes a game....
Example: Alex Galchenyuk in his first season, he played little over 11 minutes avg per game.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Every time i brought this up i'd just get called a Sergachev hater (even tho I've been following him since early 2015), do you guys see what I was talking about now?

It's so hard to give an honest opinion on these boards sometimes (especially in regards to prospects), you always either have to be on the bandwagon or not say anything negative AT ALL.

I've certainly noticed it...I know it was a knock against him at the draft, so its really stood out to me.

On the positive side, it's literally the only thing I've seen that's lacking in his game. He just needs to keep his head on a swivel a bit more, not get caught puck watching, he needs to be more active away from the puck.

It's not like he has trouble skating, or isn't big enough...his flaw is easily correctible, which explains why the team seems so intent on giving him more NHL time.

Sending him back to juniors, IMO, might make this flaw (his nonchalance) even worse.

Talent Analyst

Dec 24, 2005
100th years
IMO, he has a lot more to learn in the NHL than the junior. He is really raw but as it seems, he learn fast.

We might not see the results today, but the way the management deal with him is the best for this kid. We might not see him as a regular in the line up until the half of season (unless injury) but he learn from the best. They take time with him and even he is not playing, there is someone with him to teach him tips all the little things he has to learn before to be a nhl regular. He is not rushed from what I've seen.. He has everything, but what he miss will be learned faster in the NHL than the OHL.

Talent Analyst

Dec 24, 2005
100th years

Doesn't he has to play two fulls years pro?

From NHL.com:

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Talent Analyst

Dec 24, 2005
100th years
My worry is , IF he is sent back this year and sent back next year...he goes back to Russia.

I feel he pretty strongly that he doesn't want to play 2 more years of JR hockey.

Next year if he still isn't ready or gets out played at camp ...Do you send him back to JR?

I seen every game he has played in ,and he has got better each one...Seems to me he is learning.

I agree, what he has to learn to be a full time NHL player will be learn faster in the NHL than the OHL.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Think the Russians likeliest to go back home are the fringe guys, borderline top 6 or top 4 who might keep getting shuffled to the minors.

Sergachev has serious talent and while he still needs to get there, he does not look like he will be a fringe player.

Reminds me of Scherbaks circumstances except he is more talented than Scherbak. Scherbak is not going anywhere and I don't see Sergachev bolting either, especially since I think one more year of junior is all he will likey need.t

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I think he keeps getting better and more confident. Obviously coaches and management feel he keeps getting better too or he would be back in junior.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Think the Russians likeliest to go back home are the fringe guys, borderline top 6 or top 4 who might keep getting shuffled to the minors.

Sergachev has serious talent and while he still needs to get there, he does not look like he will be a fringe player.

Reminds me of Scherbaks circumstances except he is more talented than Scherbak. Scherbak is not going anywhere and I don't see Sergachev bolting either, especially since I think one more year of junior is all he will likey need.t

He got home sick last year in JR, his parents had to come over for 10 days to stay with him at his billets house..

This is a kid here 18 years young....He got the Russians with him in Montreal as a real good support group...

Jr hockey can be a lonely place.

If he has to play 2 more yrs in jr , won't surprise me to see him go back home .

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

All players with 2 years or less of Pro experience (AHL and NHL) are exempt from being protected. That list includes McCarron, Sherbak, Lehkonen, Juulsen, and Sergachyov. At this stage for the Habs, it's about the 2 year window and win now mode. If Sergachyov makes the team better, then he stays with the team. If he doesn't, then he goes back to Junior. Simple as that!

The thing I like about Sergachev is he won't be intimidated or pushed around as he is 6'-2", 220lbs! The other thing people need to think about is he is 18 year old and his learning curve this season will be massive! If he stays with the team and absorbs and adapts to the NHL, he will be a stud come playoffs! As far as development goes.. This applies to players with raw skills but haven't put them all together yet and need time in the AHL or Junior where the games are less important and mistakes can be made at a more tollerable rate. This does not apply to Sergachev as he has all the tools now. He's just missing experience!

Burning a year of RFA status is not as big of an issue if he makes the Habs better this season and next! That is the balance Habs management need to consider. We got 5 more games to review but I personally don't see any issues with the 1st 4 games on his play. He's going to make mistakes but the ones he's making are not bad at all IMO. The more comfortable he gets with NHL play, the more dangerous he will be!

Last edited:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

From NHL.com:

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

AHL counts as pro years so Beaulieu needs to be protected.

Keeping him up past 9 games would be a bad move, he doesn't look like a NHL defenseman. This is the easiest and slowest part of the NHL season, speed and intensity picks up not go down. He showed flashes and may very well be ready for 15-18 main/game next season but right now hes not better than Pateryn.

The insistence of keeping him up past 9 games makes no sense to me, its as if people think all good defenseman came into NHL at 18. Subban, Weber, Doughty, PIetrangelo, Letang, Keith, etc all played 2+ years in junior. Sergachev doesn't look close to as good as Ekblad at 18...and even he played 3 years in junior.

Last edited:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
IMO, he has a lot more to learn in the NHL than the junior. He is really raw but as it seems, he learn fast.

We might not see the results today, but the way the management deal with him is the best for this kid. We might not see him as a regular in the line up until the half of season (unless injury) but he learn from the best. They take time with him and even he is not playing, there is someone with him to teach him tips all the little things he has to learn before to be a nhl regular. He is not rushed from what I've seen.. He has everything, but what he miss will be learned faster in the NHL than the OHL.

For anyone who never heard it Serge Savard was on TSN690 yesterday with Knuckles and he doesn't think Sergachev is ready and should be sent back to Junior.

Savard: Sergachev is not ready
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/savard-sergachev-is-not-ready-1.588956

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Still puzzled at all the insistence on sending him down right **** now.

Really it's puzzling. Hard to understand. It's like some people around here bet 100 000 he would be sent down before 9 games.

I mean guys they will give him 9 games (i'll be surprised otherwise). Not necessarily 9 straight games but 9 games. They will shelter him in those 9 games. The plan looks clear to me (imo). They want to give NHL experience this season as they probably plan to have him full time next season.

If he plays well enough (he is not right now) they'll keep him of course but i really don't see them sending him down before 9 games. That would be like a slap in the face and an unnecessary one. The kid will understand if he is sent down after 9 games. Sending him down after 3 games and he will feel like they are just messing with him.

The guy will play more than enough junior hockey later this year. Playing 7 more CHL games wont do *** for him. Yeah ... yeah ... i know ... but ... but ... lap ... he NEEDS to play now. He must play 30 minutes all the games if he misses that mark 9 games he is done forever. Big m***** f***** deal. Get real guys. 9 games never killed anybody specially if he is sheltered and it's well explained to him why he is sent down. It's gonna be easier to explain to him after 9 games than after 2 or 3 games.

Also guys Weber will survive.

When they decided to keep him the made a commitment for 9 games. That's the way i see it and i'm sure that's the way he sees it. Give him those 9 games. Give him a fair chance to stay and then after that he'll understand.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
By now, it's very clear (at least to me) that Sergachev isn't ready for NHL.... not yet. There are 2 questions:

1. Is it better for him to stay in NHL than going back to Jr ? This is very debatable. Being said that, I think playing in Jr will make him better.

2. Is it better for the team to play Sergachev instead of Pateryn/Redmond (injured) ? The answer is more obvious. No, team is slightly worse with Sergachev. At time being, I find Sergachev a liability. You see that Therrien is trying to shelter him. As of right now and very near future, Pateryn or Redmond are definitely better.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
We may underestimate the fact he's practicing with pros every day. And he learns from guys like Weber and Markov.

Even if he only plays once every 2 or 3 games, he may very well learn more than in junior. And next year, he would be closer to be a contributor, which is great since he still would have to be send to junior.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
By now, it's very clear (at least to me) that Sergachev isn't ready for NHL.... not yet. There are 2 questions:

1. Is it better for him to stay in NHL than going back to Jr ? This is very debatable. Being said that, I think playing in Jr will make him better.

2. Is it better for the team to play Sergachev instead of Pateryn/Redmond (injured) ? The answer is more obvious. No, team is slightly worse with Sergachev. At time being, I find Sergachev a liability. You see that Therrien is trying to shelter him. As of right now and very near future, Pateryn or Redmond are definitely better.

IMO, If Serge stays with the Habs, the story of who is better changes as the season goes along. I personally like him in the line-up and the size/skill he brings. He's only going to get better!

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
We may underestimate the fact he's practicing with pros every day. And he learns from guys like Weber and Markov.

Even if he only plays once every 2 or 3 games, he may very well learn more than in junior. And next year, he would be closer to be a contributor, which is great since he still would have to be send to junior.

I think he could learn a lot practicing with pros. People forget Joe Thornton played his first year on a 4th line and he was scratched many games. Average TOI for Thornton his first season was 8:05 and he played only 55 games. He did not look particularly good this first season. I remember some people saying he would bust and Boston was destroying his confidence.

Head Coach Pat Burns was measured in his deployment of Thornton, using him almost exclusively on the fourth line and making him a regular healthy scratch. Averaging eight minutes and five seconds of ice time per game over the course of the season, he registered three goals and seven points in 55 games as a rookie. In the 1998 Stanley Cup playoffs, Thornton went scoreless in six games.

Playing sheltered minutes on a 3rd duo for 50-60 games would not hurt Sergachev. Could even help him a lot. What would hurt him is playing 25 minutes at the NHL level on a first duo with all the pressure coming with it.

This said i would send him down after 9 games because his team host the memorial cup. He'll also likely be selected for the u20. That's great experience. Also we don't really need him this season.

Next year will be different. I would try to give Sergachev one year with Markov on a 3rd duo before Markov retires. I think playing with Markov for one year on a 3rd duo as a 19 years old next year would help him lot more than playing a last season in the CHL.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
3-0 with him in lineup, 0-1 with him out of lineup... keep it rolling!!!!

13 goals for, 3 against in those 3 games with him

3 goals for, 4 against in the 1 game without him

hahah keep it going guys!!

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec

In regard to your first point:

I respectfully disagree: Sergachev, as a 17 years old, won the best D award in the OHL last season. Physically he is ready and he definitely is gifted enough to play in the NHL. He just needs to adapt his play to the pace and level of competition of the big league. I fail to see what he has to gain by playing again against teenagers.

The fact that he can’t play in the AHL really is infuriating! He should have done like Matthews and play against men in Europe for a year...

As for your 2nd point:

The guy is a fast learner. If they keep him in, at first, a sheltered role, and he keeps progressing, the team would definitely be better with him in the line-up.

It’s a tough call!

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Reminds me a lot of Malakhov. He looks lazy at times but it's not that, he's just having issues adjusting to the speed of the game and his stride is effortless.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

From NHL.com:

I stand corrected, thanks for that. Okay, one no reason gone.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Everyone seems focused on 9 games...BUT Habs could keep him for 39 games ,and still send him back to JR without effecting his UFA status....
At the end of his JR season we can call him back up.(If we're still playing)

If he stays for 40 games he can go UFA at 25.....

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Everyone seems focused on 9 games...BUT Habs could keep him for 39 games ,and still send him back to JR without effecting his UFA status....
At the end of his JR season we can call him back up.(If we're still playing)

If he stays for 40 games he can go UFA at 25.....

Pretty sure 10 games is the limit for 18/19 year old EL contract sliding, dude.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I see both sides of the argument. I catch myself saying he should stay one day then I say the opposite the next day.
Here is what I think will happen- he is here to stay. He will continue getting better and better. You watch he is here for more than 9 games.
Now Redmond is hurt....you send him back now you have all of a sudden have made this team very thin on the blue line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad