Confirmed with Link: Mike Smith (25% retained) for Hickey, Johnson and conditional 3rd

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Losing Johnson's rights is a bit of a non-factor for me. Don't think they intended on bringing him back and would rather keep that backup slot open.

Didn't mind Ocho in the backup role.
I'm wondering if they'll run Smith/Gillies in the NHL next year, and then that opens a spot up for Parsons in the AHL.

Aug 3, 2010
I don't get why people are being upset about Hickey being part of this. He's a middling prospect at best right now who wasn't indicating that he was going to commit to Calgary. Pretty much the equivalent of a throw-in.

From my perspective, as Johnson is a UFA and Hickey is chump change, the value becomes conditional 3rd for Mike Smith. Guessing the condition is either # of playoff games played, or something like reaching the second round in 2018. With 25% salary retained, this is absolutely not the worst I was imagining for a potential (aging) #1 goalie, although I'm still miffed Calgary went with Smith as a personality, but not as a talent.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
So here's how this trade worked out - They gave up the 3rd they would've ended up giving up if they resigned Elliott, and also added Hickey into the trade and even after salary retention, are paying Smith about $1.25mill more than what they probably resigned Elliott for. To me this seems like a lateral move and giving up more in the process. Not a big fan of this trade.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
A fair trade. Smith with the retention for a ufa, a most likely average at best prospect who wasn't looking like he was gonna sign here, and a 3rd(which we would've had to give up to sign Brian Elliott).

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
Well ****. The 3rd becomes a second if the flames make the playoffs.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
A fair trade. A ufa, a most likely average prospect who wasn't looking like he was gonna sign here, and a 3rd(which we would've had to give up to sign Brian Elliott).
Might be 2019 picks, I don't think we can trade the 2018 3rd until Elliott signs elsewhere

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Jesus Christ not happy giving up so many high picks. Especially for a player Smiths Age.

If he doesn't play any better than Elliot I'm gonna be pretty ornery.

Aug 3, 2010
I rescind my previous post about the conditonal 3rd being OK.

But at least the 16th wasn't given up somehow.

Is this confirmation that Elliott will not be re-signed?

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
A fair trade. Smith with the retention for a ufa, a most likely average at best prospect who wasn't looking like he was gonna sign here, and a 3rd(which we would've had to give up to sign Brian Elliott).

Yeah, while I'm not particularly thrilled with Smith, this is kind of how I see it too. If it's broken down like that, the worst we gave up was the the pick, which we wouldn't have if we re-signed Elliot.

This IS better than giving up our 1st as some had speculated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad