Confirmed with Link: Mike Smith (25% retained) for Hickey, Johnson and conditional 3rd

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Will be interesting how he does. At first i didn't like it, but I don't think he'll be bad for us. Good stop gap. Still a chance to get another goalie, no?

Darren Haynes @DarrenWHaynes

Many say ES SV% is a better indicator of a goalie's ability. Of 52 goalies with >40 starts the last 2 seasons, Mike Smith ranks 11th (.927).

Vkonroy

Oct 29, 2014
Calgary
Yeah of the goalies we thought may move around he definitely wasn't at the top of my list to pickup.

Plus side we know hes only a stop gap, which means we are banking on a younger goalie to overtake him in the not so distant future. If it was someone who costs a lot more to get like a Schneider, we would be hitching our wagon to them longer term.

Aug 3, 2010
I don't want to be negative about this. I've just never liked Smith's attitude on the ice.

I also don't like the seemingly last-minute rush for a goalie that Calgary could pursue in the offseason and I have my trepidations about the price Treliving might pay.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I don't want to be negative about this. I've just never liked Smith's attitude on the ice.

I also don't like the seemingly last-minute rush for a goalie that Calgary could pursue in the offseason and I have my trepidations about the price Treliving might pay.

His attitude is just like Hiller. Just have to hope he will be a better goalie than Hiller here.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Do we really need another thread when it's already being discussed in two?
McKenzie and Haynes are both saying they are hearing it's done. So I would say it's time for it's own thread. I wouldn't have started it if they weren't saying it was finished.

Aug 3, 2010
It's a pretty specific rumour, I'll leave it for now.

Also sigh... I just hope we don't give up more than a 3rd

Does Calgary even have a third? I thought that conditional 2nd and 3rds were traded for this year. Coyotes fans are "expecting a fourth to come back" which means Calgary has a 1st, and then 5-7th. :help:

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Of all the goalies that are or were rumoured to be on the market, Smith was near the bottom of my list. Hell, I would have preferred Elliott and Johnson coming back again.

I'm really turned off by his drama queen antics, though I'm sure one might argue it's his competitiveness to win. Also, didn't he have a bit of an injury problem the last few seasons?

That said, if I'm proven wrong, I'll gladly post in the crow eating thread.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
This is exactly what I was talking about when I said just use our 1st to get a Quality young goaltender. So sick of the Flames just throwing a bloody band-aid on our goaltending problem. This makes me want to vomit.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Would be okay giving up Hickey as the principle piece in the deal (he didn't sign here he should be viewed as a fluid asset) if it's Hickey+ that is probably a bad deal though.
I think we'll either see 2-2.5 retained or Bouma going the other way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad