Mike Richards next Goal of the Year Contest

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Let's go 2 better. 14: Kopitar, Carter, Williams, Brown, King, Stoll,
Doughty, Voynov, Regehr, Mitchell, Greene, Martinez, Quick, Scrivens.

Toffoli, Nolan and Muzzin have been arguably better as well, but there's 14.And Phil HATES spending money on things of poor value. He bought some things at my exhibit at his hotel, The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs in April, 2012. He asked me about the products at my exhibit and bought 2 items.
He wanted to buy 1 item with a defect (it was less money) and I made sure I gave him the item from my store warehouse. Shipped it to his son Christian, who was present...Christian paid for it with his VISA. This was the day after the first loss (game 4) of Rd 1 vs Vancouver. We talked hockey for a few minutes. Cap only matters to the...'cap' and 7.6 million does matter to the people overpaying
for a pitiful effort and performance. If the guy is playing with a concussion and separated shoulder, then maybe that's all he can do.
But I don't think that's the case.

That list is weak.

How is Stoll better than Mike Richards? Or Ben 'mostly backup' Scrivens? Greene has been decent but hardly great when he's not injured, Martinez has done well but again, limited viewing. Regehr? You guys were calling for his head and him to be waived at the start of the season. I'm surprised you didn't toss Lewis on there as well.

And wtf does Phil buying from your exhibit have to do with him spending on his hockey team? The guy owns a bunch of sports frnachises and spends heavily on all of them (IIRC). Did you actually ask Phil what he thinks of spending over the cap? I doubt it but even if you did, it's not like he's going to tell you anything.

And you are overpaying for a pitiful performance? If Richards was making $4 million and still in a slump you guys would be in here *****ing just as loudly. Matt Frattin costs the Kings less than the NHL minimum salary and has far less expectations than Richards and you guys rag him to no end. Their salary has zilch to do with your *****ing and moaning.

Damn and you guys think I hate Richards.

I wouldn't say there are that many players better than MR, but calling him a core player is a very big reach at this point. MR has had an extremely poor year thus far, no one can really debate that.

well yes, people have debated that, and quite well actually.

But besides that, what is your core for the Kings? What do you consider the Kings 'core.'

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
well yes, people have debated that, and quite well actually.

But besides that, what is your core for the Kings? What do you consider the Kings 'core.'

People have defended it with arguments like "he is very physical" or "he does things that don't show up on the scoresheet" or "he is an exceptional defender"

The reality is, this season he has been the Kings worst defensive forward and is on pace for by far his worst offensive season since he was 21, and no he hasn't been physical. I just don't see with all this evidence in front of you how you can argue that he hasn't had a poor year, what grade would you give MR this season overall? What grade offensively? What grade defensively?

As for the Kings core, I would say Quick, Doughty, Kopitar, Carter, Brown and Voynov. Brown's offense has fallen off but atleast the rest of his all around game is still strong. And he is showing signs of turning it around. I just don't see how an organization that is so adamant about defensive play can consider a center who is such a liability in his own zone to be a core player at this point.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
People have defended it with arguments like "he is very physical" or "he does things that don't show up on the scoresheet" or "he is an exceptional defender"

Actually, what I was referring to was them defending the fact that Richards isn't having "an extremely poor year thus far." Even you agreed it was a quarter of the year where the offense was lacking. I mean the guy is still 2nd on the team in scoring. How is that an extremely poor year?

The reality is, this season he has been the Kings worst defensive forward and is on pace for by far his worst offensive season since he was 21, and no he hasn't been physical. I just don't see with all this evidence in front of you how you can argue that he hasn't had a poor year, what grade would you give MR this season overall? What grade offensively? What grade defensively?

Actually, Richards is on pace for 52 points, which would be better than the 2011-2012 season. As well in 2012-2013 he was on pace for 55 points, so really he's just scoring at the same pace he always has as an LA King. I'll leave it up to the Flyers fans around here to debate how much his point drop off from Philly to LA has to do with the system Philly and LA play.

As for the Kings core, I would say Quick, Doughty, Kopitar, Carter, Brown and Voynov. Brown's offense has fallen off but atleast the rest of his all around game is still strong. And he is showing signs of turning it around. I just don't see how an organization that is so adamant about defensive play can consider a center who is such a liability in his own zone to be a core player at this point.

To me, a core is about 12 players (top two lines, top four D, starting netminder and then that one other 'guy' like a Mike Ricci, someone who can play a bit of everything). The remaining 8-12 are interchangeable. But whatever, agree to disagree.

I still debate Richards is a liability in his own zone. Judging by the numbers from the links provided earlier, the real villian seems to be King.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
I'll leave it up to the Flyers fans around here to debate how much his point drop off from Philly to LA has to do with the system Philly and LA play.

System definitely plays into it, but also in Richards top few point producing years, he played the point on the 1st unit PP as well, which was one of the best in the league at the time

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
System definitely plays into it, but also in Richards top few point producing years, he played the point on the 1st unit PP as well, which was one of the best in the league at the time

Makes sense. I love when he's back there. His slap shot is oddly dangerous and he seems to see the ice incredibly well. Problem is our PP sucks and we just keep changing the look of it in an effort to get things going!

I think he'll show up tonight.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
I like Richards, but more and more I find myself being relieved when he just makes a pass that actually connects or when he has the puck and doesn't fumble it.

dogyekcoh*

Richards looks worst and worst every game. He looks slow and lost out there.
The poor guy is only 28 years old. I wonder what he would like 5 years from now?
How long is he signed for?

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Damn and you guys think I hate Richards.

I wouldn't say there are that many players better than MR, but calling him a core player is a very big reach at this point. MR has had an extremely poor year thus far, no one can really debate that.

I don't hate him...I was asked to name 12 better players on the Kings.
I named 14. (it was hard to not make Muzzin 15 on my list. Muzzin plays harder)
Tonight against the Blues, he was the 20th best.
Does Mike have hockey smarts, good vision, skills, and a great history of being a winner? Yes. Has he had concussions, shoulder surgery, and some serious injuries? Yes. Do I hate him? No. Would we have won the Cup without him? Probably not. I am commenting on his play this season; specifically in the last 2 months. He's absolutley BRUTAL. He is coasting out there...playing the perimeter...not making plays...not shooting much...not helping his linemates at all...poor defensively. Doesn't hit anyone. No physical presence. Cannot comment on his mental presence, because I cannot know what that is. No fire! He has blown dead apes.

When he came here, he used a 5th gear once or twice a game. How refreshing it was, to see the Kings add some speed up the middle.
After his concussion, I never saw that again. He coasts more than any player I have seen in years. Watch his feet. They move as little as possible on every shift. I saw him skate hard ONCE tonight. Showed he has a 4th gear. 1 TIME tonight.

Watch this yourself. Count how many times he skates hard - I mean busts it. Watch his feet. Compare to all other 9 players on the ice (not counting the goalies) when he's out there. It's pathetic.
Period.

Last edited:

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
Flyers fan here. The point pace Richards was on during his last year with us, was also the same year we got a new coach and new system.

It's the same point pace he's on now, and during his prime years, he was the goto guy with Carter, as Briere was oft injured, and Giroux hadn't come yet. He is now number 2 C, behind Kopitar.

These 2 things made him appear as a near point per game offensive player. In reality, he's a 60-70 point guy, with the "intangibles", hate to bring that word into the discussion, but it's valid, I'm sorry.

Also, I think people may underestimate the value of getting multiple concussions, and how it may make you play timid for longer than you may think.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Richards looks worst and worst every game. He looks slow and lost out there.
The poor guy is only 28 years old. I wonder what he would like 5 years from now?
How long is he signed for?
Luckily not that long anymore. I believe 2020. :D

He seriously needs to play hockey again.

He played great last playoffs. That's just a couple of months ago.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Yes I agree. He hesitates a lot and doesn't go to the dirty areas anymore.

Agreed. He's gotten into that Doughty head fake thing where every time the puck touches his stick there is a pause or a fake and by the time he decides to pass or shoot the lane is closed and the puck is blocked. He seems to lost some confidence or some of the swagger to his game if you will. He just needs a big hit or a big goal to get that back.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Flyers fan here and I come in peace. Mike is too good of a player and will snap out of his so called funk. Mike never was a workout warrior here in Philly but you could not complain about his effort on the ice. I was a bigger Carter fan than Richards but thought the world of them both. I was and still am a huge supporter of the trades back in 2011. You guys have a ring so there was a price to pay for his talent. Simmer is a true Flyer. And it looks like Brayden, now that he is back at center, is really finding his game. The kid is becoming a big part of the team and will be for another 10 years or so. This deal worked for both clubs so hang in there. Mike will get his act together, I am sure of that.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Flyers fan here and I come in peace. Mike is too good of a player and will snap out of his so called funk. Mike never was a workout warrior here in Philly but you could not complain about his effort on the ice. I was a bigger Carter fan than Richards but thought the world of them both. I was and still am a huge supporter of the trades back in 2011. You guys have a ring so there was a price to pay for his talent. Simmer is a true Flyer. And it looks like Brayden, now that he is back at center, is really finding his game. The kid is becoming a big part of the team and will be for another 10 years or so. This deal worked for both clubs so hang in there.Mike will get his act together, I am sure of that.
I thought I would never read stuff like that from a Flyers fan.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Flyers fan here and I come in peace. Mike is too good of a player and will snap out of his so called funk. Mike never was a workout warrior here in Philly but you could not complain about his effort on the ice. I was a bigger Carter fan than Richards but thought the world of them both. I was and still am a huge supporter of the trades back in 2011. You guys have a ring so there was a price to pay for his talent. Simmer is a true Flyer. And it looks like Brayden, now that he is back at center, is really finding his game. The kid is becoming a big part of the team and will be for another 10 years or so. This deal worked for both clubs so hang in there. Mike will get his act together, I am sure of that.

He's also quickly creeping up on that age where your body says "yeah, no" if you don't take care of it--I'm hoping he realizes that and pumps up his routine no matter what it is!

With his smarts he should be capable of playing near 40 even if not as physical, so long as his mind isn't writing checks his body can't cash. Think of late-career Rod Brind'Amour.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I thought I would never read stuff like that from a Flyers fan.

I know but it's true. I followed Jeff big time. when he was on SSM. Guys like that who are big can skate and score are not a dime a dozen. He was a whipping boy here to some extent but not from me. I am just glad that Mike and Jeff are together again. For some reason they belong together and with their names on the cup it will be forever. But I am telling you, Brayden is starting to kick it in another gear and Simmer...wow.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
He's also quickly creeping up on that age where your body says "yeah, no" if you don't take care of it--I'm hoping he realizes that and pumps up his routine no matter what it is!

With his smarts he should be capable of playing near 40 even if not as physical, so long as his mind isn't writing checks his body can't cash. Think of late-career Rod Brind'Amour.

Rod "IS" the work out warrior. Mike got his nuts busted here on local TV back in the day about the lack of conditioning of his body. Something along the lines of a four year old and that is no BS. Conditioning is so critical for anyone and for a pro hockey player who wants to have a long and healthy career it is even more so. Ask Allen Iverson now about taking care of one's body.

KingKopitar11*

I think Williams is more of a core player than Richards to be honest. Williams is loved in the lockerooms and he's always busting his ass, and also leading in example. I think when people say core players they add half the team, the reality is Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Carter, Brown, and Williams. Is the core.

Maybe Richards and Voynov but I don't think they are there.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

Good post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad