Mike Richards next Goal of the Year Contest

KingKopitar11*

Do you actually believe that or are you just blowing off steam? I think many that are around the team and around the league would disagree with you.

You know what it could be possible because since that run this team hasn't played anything like that.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
This looks like it will be the 2nd year in a row in which Richards will have the worst +/- of any regular skater on the team.

What is a regular skater to you? Trevoe Lewis and Matt Frattin are worse this season.

He came here half season gone.
We won the cup because we didnt play his style.
We were playing agressive 2 way hockey.
These days we play his system

Yeah, that's right, Sutter would totally tollerate a guy not playing the system. I mean guys just ignore Sutter and play how they like. This random collection of players playing how they felt magically resulted in a cup too. :shakehead

So is Penner, Byfuglien, Wellwood. Just because you're an NHL athlete doesn't mean you're in great shape. Let's actually be realistic.:shakehead

Exceptions to the norm and you know it. Because 1% of athletes are out of shape does not mean Richards, or any other given player is.

kingsfan,

The goals against stats are posted in this thread.

A link to where you got them from however is not.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
You know what it could be possible because since that run this team hasn't played anything like that.

Since that 'run' we are a combined 54-30-10 (a .628 winning percentage) and made the third round of the playoffs. If you expected us to win at a 16-4 pace all last season and again this season, your standards are beyond ridiculous.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

NHL.com lists full game summaries including who was on the ice when goals were scored.

You honestly think I am BSing the stats? Come on.

But hey I guess saying the stats are fake is better than some who say they don't matter.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
NHL.com lists full game summaries including who was on the ice when goals were scored.

You honestly think I am BSing the stats? Come on.

But hey I guess saying the stats are fake is better than some who say they don't matter.

No, I'm not thinking you BS'd them, nor did I say or imply that. But thanks for jumping to needless and pointless conclusions.

I have been to NHL.com but I'm apparently not using the same search options you are as I'm not getting that piece of information about whose on the ice for/against goals and I'd like to see a link to those stats so I can interpret them for myself.

KingKopitar11*

What is a regular skater to you? Trevoe Lewis and Matt Frattin are worse this season.

Yeah, that's right, Sutter would totally tollerate a guy not playing the system. I mean guys just ignore Sutter and play how they like. This random collection of players playing how they felt magically resulted in a cup too. :shakehead

Exceptions to the norm and you know it. Because 1% of athletes are out of shape does not mean Richards, or any other given player is.

Haha. Then don't imply that all nhl athletes are in top shape. Richards isn't an exception either. It's not the norm but it's not impossible. He can be in average shape, so people should stop pretending everyone I'm the NHL does the p90x

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Being in shape isn't everything, you can have an average or even below average build and be decent.

Mario Lemieux, Ziggy Palffy, Phil Kessel, Byfuglien.

It doesn't matter if Mike Richards eats twinkies for breakfast or if he is Mr. Universe, I just want himto be more than a 3rd line center.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Haha. Then don't imply that all nhl athletes are in top shape. Richards isn't an exception either. It's not the norm but it's not impossible. He can be in average shape, so people should stop pretending everyone I'm the NHL does the p90x

The nhl routine is working out every day. Core strength and leg conditioning are mandatory and you couldn't survive an NHL shift without it. Even if you see a little extra body fat on some of these guys it doesn't mean that they don't have strength where it matters most. Some guys spend a little more of their personal time to various workouts but not all.

In the NFL, many of those guys look like fat slobs but assure you they are working out nearly every day. For a long time too. The way your body looks has more to do with how you eat than how much you are working out.

Last edited:

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

Firstly, I didn't imply anything, someone else stated it. Secondly, how do you know Ricards is or isn't an exception? You don't. You know nothing about his physical well being. Outside of guys like Penner, who have been publicly called out, we don't know anythig about these guys. Richards could be sporting a spare tire or have abs of steel. Neither of us know, so stop implying crap you know nothing about.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I'm going to stop you right there so the thread doesn't get derailed.

I do think it's okay and fair (whether I agree or not) to wonder aloud whether Richards could do better with more conditioning or whatever even if we don't really have evidence one way or another. It's not okay to make completely outlandish claims about the fitness of professional athletes. Even completely out of shape is relative to a norm here, so no, maybe everyone in the NHL doesn't do p90x, but even the sloppiest dudes in the league are following team-mandated fitness activities, which I can assure you are every bit as grueling.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
wellthatescalatedquickly.jpg

The entire 'conditioning' schtick is such ********. I hate speculating about something I have ZERO knowledge off. Just because he doesn't necessarilly look fast doesn't mean it's poor conditioning.

KingKopitar11*

Well you guys can believe whatever you guys want to believe. I'm not trying to sway anyone's opinion with mine, it seems that's some people shockingly got upset over a fitness comment about Richards, so I'll stop there before anyone else gets hurt. Sorry fellas.

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2013020688

go to the basic boxscore and then click game summary.

But trust me, my numbers are 100% correct (well maybe 98%) could have tallied one or two wrong.

Mike Richards is on the ice for more goals than any other Kings forward, by a pretty significant margin, and it was the same thing last season too.

Two way player is a M-Y-T-H

You have much easier way to check this stats:

Just go www.nhl.com > stats > individuals > choose Los Angeles Kings > plus/minus

Last four colums are Team GF, Team PPGF, Team GA and Team PPGA for every player. You just deduct Team PPGA from TEAM GA and you have ES GA for every player.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?gameType=2&position=S&season=20132014&sort=plusMinus&status=A&team=LAK&viewName=plusMinus

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
You have much easier way to check this stats:

Just go www.nhl.com > stats > individuals > choose Los Angeles Kings > plus/minus

Last four colums are Team GF, Team PPGF, Team GA and Team PPGA for every player. You just deduct Team PPGA from TEAM GA and you have ES GA for every player.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?gameType=2&position=S&season=20132014&sort=plusMinus&status=A&team=LAK&viewName=plusMinus

Interesting that he's tied with Carter for 2nd amongst all forwards in goals for (actually ahead of Carter if you factor in PPG) but that doesn't get mentioned in this thread.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm going to stop you right there so the thread doesn't get derailed.

I do think it's okay and fair (whether I agree or not) to wonder aloud whether Richards could do better with more conditioning or whatever even if we don't really have evidence one way or another. It's not okay to make completely outlandish claims about the fitness of professional athletes. Even completely out of shape is relative to a norm here, so no, maybe everyone in the NHL doesn't do p90x, but even the sloppiest dudes in the league are following team-mandated fitness activities, which I can assure you are every bit as grueling.

5idum.gif

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Interesting that he's tied with Carter for 2nd amongst all forwards in goals for (actually ahead of Carter if you factor in PPG) but that doesn't get mentioned in this thread.

Well I'll go ahead and throw down the "its all because of Carter" card before anyone else can. :laugh:

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
He has 6 goals total - tied with Stoll. Jordan Nolan has 5 goals. He needs to pick his **** together. As should some others on this Kings squad...

Btw.
Here is the quick way to get the goals against for forwards.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
He has 6 goals total - tied with Stoll. Jordan Nolan has 5 goals. He needs to pick his **** together. As should some others on this Kings squad...

Btw.
Here is the quick way to get the goals against for forwards.

Which has almost zilch to do with the post of mine you quoted, but whatever.

I have said already in this thread he needs to score more, six goals I agree is not enough. But let's not act like his barely contributing here. He's still helping to put goals on the board.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
He's been Brutal defensively this year, he's been terrible on the back check and he gets out muscled on the stick easily this year. I don't know what it is, I'm not saying he's a bum, and stop pointing the finger at the bottom 6, Mike's gets paid big bucks, so if a bottom 6 player or a rookie is playing bad, that's understandable, but a vet making over 7 million this year leads the team on goals against, that's a pretty big problem.

I've said it before, from what I see of Mike on the ice, he looks really unfit. I wonder how he looks with out all the gear, and have someone do a strength and conditioning test on him.

First off i am a huge richards fan. That being said he was never a workout warrior and that was one of the complaints about him. He was always lazy off the ice but his play on the ice was so good how could you criticize. Now that he is older and his body is wearing down he is really looking run down because he is not dedicated in the off season like jeff carter or jarrett stoll.

I really believe this is one of the reasons why he has dropped off so much. But what is most concerning for me is that he looks so uninterested out their on the ice. He does not mix is up as much as he use to, his shifts are so unspectacular it is alarming.

They way he has dropped off the past 4 years I wonder if he is an amnesty candidate. I really feel LA has so many of the pieces in place Great first line center great goalie, great defense with a true number 1 but right now their top 6 is underperforming and they have a chance to amnesty their 2nd highest paid forward and use that money to go after a guy like Stastny who would bring a lot more offense to the 2nd line and they drop stoll a great shutdown center to the 3rd line. I know that this is unlikely but imagine 6 more years of his play at that cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad