Confirmed with Link: Mike Richards 1 Year 1$M [mod note: posts 55 & 140]

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Welp, they strengthened the center depth with a two-time Cup winner. Hopefully the Caps locker room environment keeps him on the straight and narrow.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Welp, they strengthened the center depth with a two-time Cup winner. Hopefully the Caps locker room environment keeps him on the straight and narrow.

IMO, there's zero risk to the locker room. If he fouls up, he's gone. If/when he performs well, they'll embrace him. This is a team focused on the cup. Whatever it takes to get there. I stopped short of saying I love it - I love the possibilities he brings - but I don't know all the details. Like I said, if BT/BM (and probably Williams) are good with it, I'm good with it.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
IMO, there's zero risk to the locker room. If he fouls up, he's gone. If/when he performs well, they'll embrace him. This is a team focused on the cup. Whatever it takes to get there. I stopped short of saying I love it - I love the possibilities he brings - but I don't know all the details. Like I said, if BT/BM (and probably Williams) are good with it, I'm good with it.

There is zero doubt in my mind he will have a very short leash. Don't bite the hand that feeds comes to mind in this situation.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
yes they did and it was obvious they would from the moment news broke about his contract termination. That's the main reason kings wouldn't do it if they were without a proof of his wrongdoing.

Also not guilty in the eyes of the court doesn't mean we can't presume him guilty. Bill Cosby is not guilty yet too, for example (and i don't mean Richards is a *******, just an over the top example).

Actually, on HF it does mean exactly that. Otherwise it's libel and against site rules.

Unless someone has official confirmation, it can't be stated or even speculated that a player did something if it's possibly libelous. That means we can't call him a "drug addict" or even say he's guilty of any charges unless he's actually found guilty, and there's a confirmed statement from a valid media source.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Man this is pretty bold. I like it and hopefully he still has some left in the tank and can behave himself. Minimal downside here and hoping he can fit in the locker room. Having Williams can only help get him acclimated.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Wow! Just what we talked about.

Can anyone say if he's healthy by his newest photos?

@Laich. We should still trade him but retain about half his salary. Sweeten the deal with something minor and call it a day. This will let us have around 2M at deadline this year and 2+ additional millions next year. Plus it will save us valuable assets like Vrana and #1.

In turn, we can sign some UFA for 3-4M next year. Or just bank it right from the start of next season. Which will give us humongous amount of free cap in Feb 2017.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Dig the move. Lot of playoff/cup winner experience there. Will be curious to see how in shape he is. I hope someone asked Kelly Miller's permission using his number.:sarcasm:

sqw3r

Dec 22, 2015
Saint P
@Laich. We should still trade him but retain about half his salary. Sweeten the deal with something minor and call it a day. This will let us have around 2M at deadline this year and 2+ additional millions next year. Plus it will save us valuable assets like Vrana and #1.

I'm sure Laich can be dealt without losing any major prospects or first. Pack him with a 2nd and a 3rd and Toronto or some other rebuilding team with a lot of cap space would be happy to take him, i'm sure, it's not like his contract is till 2020.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I'm sure Laich can be dealt without losing any major prospects or first. Pack him with a 2nd and a 3rd and Toronto or some other rebuilding team with a lot of cap space would be happy to take him, i'm sure, it's not like his contract is till 2020.

They dont have a 3rd. STL got it for Oshie.

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
I am actually thinking positively here. He played with Williams so there's that history there. Trotz has created a really nurturing environment and I think that Richards could really use that after he was treated pretty damn crappily by the Kings. And, finally, I think that Richards is going to do his best to come out hard and try and prove himself. So, yeah, I'm optimistic.

Plus, it's a pretty darn good deal. So, yeah, I'm down for it.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I like it as it gives them time to make more moves if he's totally ineffective.

Sill-Richards-Wilson just for *****.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
I will officially be pulling for the Caps to come out of the east this season. Williams and Richards were loved in LA, hopefully MR comes around and finds his game again. Caps are lookin scary!!

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I'm pretty sure he got the, "this is your chance to save your career. Screw this up and this will be the last year you play in the NHL."

That can server to motivate a player or make him too tentative. We shall see.

I doubt anyone needed to tell him that. At 30 years old and with what went on this past year, he better know it all on his own.

I would think he'll be very motivated.

But as others have said, the beauty of the deal is, if it doesn't work out, he gone, no problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad