Player Discussion Mike Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sometimes...I don't know if it's the number or skating style.

But I find myself asking "WTF is Nathan Beaulieu doing there???"

Thankfully he looks a much better player

Reactions: Redux91

DCarriere

Mar 15, 2014
Winnipeg, MB

I've been super impressed with his skating this preseason. If he can stick with Petry on the top pair and move the puck effectively until Weber gets back, I'd be 100% in for giving him a shot with Weber.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
He has some vision and IQ to go with his skating. What a great pickup.

I particularly like his use of mobility once the zone is established, and that his speed isn't only used in breakouts/transition. He could be a perfect partner for Weber.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

But then you see him make a great pass or a shot on net and quickly remember that it couldn't possibly be Beaulieu them.

Reactions: 417

Jul 6, 2016
Yes your right I forgot Mete but Reilley and Mete where the best

The left side of the D is improving slowly but surely. Too bad Alzner is still around. Just imagine IF Sergachev was still with us.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He has some vision and IQ to go with his skating. What a great pickup.

I particularly like his use of mobility once the zone is established, and that his speed isn't only used in breakouts/transition. He could be a perfect partner for Weber.

This is true but he's got to lear to excel ant defensive coverage and positioning before he can truly be a top 4 dman. Playing with Weber who would shelter him and teach him would be ideal as he develops.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
With Reilly's assent, Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Mete, and Reilly is not a bad 5.

Add to that, Ouellet and Schlemko are good candidates for the #6 spot, and we have a serviceable dcore.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
He has looked good. At the same time we were really happy with Benn after he got here and he was being labelled a MB Special. Not so much now. Better to be playing well now than not , but will reserve judgement.

Reactions: Archijerej

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
With Reilly's assent, Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Mete, and Reilly is not a bad 5.

Add to that, Ouellet and Schlemko are good candidates for the #6 spot, and we have a serviceable dcore.

that still looks pretty bad unless Weber looks great, having him back will mean Petry can go back to where he belongs as he gets exposed playing on the top pairing where he just isn't supposed to be. That said we'll have to see what Reilly does, how much offense that blueline can produce. I think Ouellet is more of a 7th D.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Those of you who have looked at him closely, where would you peg his ceiling? I've heard a lot of good things from pundits, esp. how his skating is ideal for the current NHL. How is his decision-making?

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Those of you who have looked at him closely, where would you peg his ceiling? I've heard a lot of good things from pundits, esp. how his skating is ideal for the current NHL. How is his decision-making?

From what I've seen the specific strength of his skating is lateral quickness and start and stops (not just fast top speed like NB). He is ondeed very well suited to the league style at the moment.

His decision making has been assertive and simple. He has not hesitated to jump in the play or simply blast a shot on net. I read somewhere that he worked on gap control this summer and so far I haven't seen him look terrible in his own end.

We need more time to see what his ceiling is, but he looks promising.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
I'm optimistic that he breaks out this year as a real top-4 NHL D. I was burned too many times hoping for the same for BullDog tho. The one thing Reilly has going for him is that it often does take longer for NHL D-men to figure it out, and that he has barely played an NHL full season yet.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

it's hard to say imo. He has the skill as he was a bigtime player in the NCAA. But he was buried with the Wild so he hasn't had the chance to be a top pairing player before from what I understand as I didn't watch him on the Wild. Now here on such a terrible defense, he'll have every chance to be a top pairing D here I got to think unless CJ thinks playing the vets will equal more wins.

His decision making is not a strong point and one of his biggest problems. It's fine in the offensive zone but put him in the defensive zone and you've got problems. That's why I have been saying he would be an ideal partner for Weber, they could fit very well together as he needs someone that is strong in their own end while Weber needs a puck mover like Reilly.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

ceiling is first pair, just based on the tools he as. Realistically, I think we are looking at 3rd pair.

He seems to make the right plays with the puck from time to time, but when it comes to that final play which decides whether he is going to get a point, it just doesn't happen for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad