Mike Matheson is a good top 4 defenseman?

Mike Matheson is a good top 4 defenseman?

• Yes

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • No

Votes: 109 65.3%

• Total voters

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Good top-4 Dman indicates he's above average in that group. I'm pretty confident he's not a first pairing guy.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Matheson can be a very good top 4 D if he has an even better DFD as a partner. If he plays with someone similar to himself it can get very ugly.

Reactions: Fatass

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
A motivated Petry will make you forget about him.

And Poehling, when on his game, is capable of scoring 4 goals in a game
I'm a Petry fan. When Edmonton traded him to Montreal I told my brother that was a mistake.

Just a bigger Matheson fan. Hope Petey bounces back his Stats at the end of the year with MSL look good like everyone else's.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
They'll flip him for a pretty good asset at the the deadline and use the cap space that offseason to get another asset

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like "maybe" should be an answer here. Matheson is an absolute wildcard. If you use him right, he can give you terrific results. If you use him wrong, he will be a trainwreck.

He's a "good top-4 D" if you give him #4 usage, put him with a partner who is good defensively and make sure to not overwhelm him with matchups. But if you need to do so much to get good results out of him, is he actually good? I just don't know.

I loved Matheson in Pittsburgh and thought he was incredible last year, but I have problems saying such a flawed player that needs to be protected would be a "good top-4 defenseman".

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Any reason he didn't do much PP in Florida?

IMO, Matheson doesn't have the hockey IQ or passing skills to be a PPQB. It's why I think he's good in transition and when joining the rush because he can use his physical tools to his advantage, but the PP is more about smart decisions with the puck and a lot of stationary "chess".

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Anyone who voted no hasn’t watched him in the past 2-3 seasons. He’s closer to a top pairing defenseman than bottom pair

He just had 11 goals and 31 points this season

6 points in 7 playoff games

There isn’t 120 better defensemen than him let alone 60

Defensively he’s improved, he’s excellent in transition, and he can throw some huge hits
Not even close he didn't even look particularly good in the playoffs either. Some good some bad.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
I think he is definitely a top-4 D. He was great for the Pens last year, had a number of plays where he looked like Cale Makar in transition. He would then have a play that looks like a PeeWee B player in coverage. I actually liked him a lot, and if you can figure out a way to get him out and skating in transition he can be a good player. I just don't think I would put him as a "better than average" top 4 dman.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think he is definitely a top-4 D. He was great for the Pens last year, had a number of plays where he looked like Cale Makar in transition. He would then have a play that looks like a PeeWee B player in coverage. I actually liked him a lot, and if you can figure out a way to get him out and skating in transition he can be a good player. I just don't think I would put him as a "better than average" top 4 dman.

I think pairing him with a steady defensive guy is the key. IMO, he actually looked at his best when he was with Ruhwedel because even though Ruhwedel is nothing more than a #6/7 defenseman, he's as safe as they come and his entire game is built around being solid in his own zone (ie. zero risk taking type).

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Most players won't be in their right role next year, because the team won't be competitive yet. So in that sense you are right, but longer term, he probably projects more as a 2nd pairing guy in Montreal as well. Unless he improves to fit the role I guess.

I can't wait for all the threads about Matheson being the worst defenseman in the NHL because he can't single-handedly carry a top pairing :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad