Mike Matheson is a good top 4 defenseman?

Mike Matheson is a good top 4 defenseman?

• Yes

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • No

Votes: 109 65.3%

• Total voters

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Too early to say for sure but if last year was a sign of things to come then he for sure is.

Bleeker

Mar 6, 2011
Middle Earth
He'll be way more exposed in Montreal so i'm not expecting anything exceptionnal but i think he'll be fine as a 2nd pairing guy with Barron or Savard.
Either way, I believe he will be a versatile asset to have in a rebuild with all the young guys knocking at the door.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Anyone who voted no hasn’t watched him in the past 2-3 seasons. He’s closer to a top pairing defenseman than bottom pair

He just had 11 goals and 31 points this season

6 points in 7 playoff games

There isn’t 120 better defensemen than him let alone 60

Defensively he’s improved, he’s excellent in transition, and he can throw some huge hits

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Anyone who voted no hasn’t watched him in the past 2-3 seasons. He’s closer to a top pairing defenseman than bottom pair

He just had 11 goals and 31 points this season

6 points in 7 playoff games

There isn’t 120 better defensemen than him let alone 60

Defensively he’s improved, he’s excellent in transition, and he can throw some huge hits

That's not how this works. There aren't 32 1st line centers in the league as example.

Matheson would probably be in the mix for top4 minutes on a lot of teams for sure, but on a lot of the better teams he really isn't a clear upgrade to push the other top4d down the depth chart. That's what I'd consider a 'good' top4d.

He's a decent option i guess, esp if you have someone really good to pair him with. let's seem him come clsoe to repeating last season, esp on a much worse team.

Reactions: The Nuge

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
That's not how this works. There aren't 32 1st line centers in the league as example.

Matheson would probably be in the mix for top4 minutes on a lot of teams for sure, but on a lot of the better teams he really isn't a clear upgrade to push the other top4d down the depth chart. That's what I'd consider a 'good' top4d.
Matheson would be a top 4 D on nearly every single team in the league. Again no one has seemingly watched him since he was a Panther. Reputation in the NHL is crazy. Players get a rep early on and it sticks forever. You can tell how much someone knows about hockey with how up to date they are on guys like Matheson

• Wow
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Was last season. If the Habs suddenly repented and would let us take him back and we made the cap work somehow else, I'd do it in a heartbeat. He's an adventure but the good really outweighed the bad.

However, that was the only season in the last five or so where that was true, so...

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Matheson looked pretty good for a rookie, he always had tools to be effective and his play has gotten better lately.

But what happened in Florida was he was relied upon quite a bit, probably too much and then he completely lost it.

So I suppose it's 50/50 now, is the confidence and maturity at a higher level to handle a bigger role, basically being the #1 defenseman on the Habs. Or is he going to revert to a turnover machine trying to do too much.

I voted yes, but see him more of a 2nd pairing guy. Although he did play good minutes 5 on 5, overall he didn't reach 19 minutes per game in a season with the Pens. That's going to change now, and the situation in Montreal is closer to what it was in Florida than Pittsburgh. Hopefully he's up to the challenge.

Last edited:

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I think he can be good as #4. I don't like him as a 1 or 2, which is what he looks to be in Montreal.
Most players won't be in their right role next year, because the team won't be competitive yet. So in that sense you are right, but longer term, he probably projects more as a 2nd pairing guy in Montreal as well. Unless he improves to fit the role I guess.

Reactions: Blueston

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I think he'll be good in Montreal. Not amazing or anything but a reliable 2nd pairing guy, despite the rebuild you still need guys like him in the lineup.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I think he's comfortably in the top (32 x 3) 96 defensemen

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Matheson looked pretty good for a rookie, he always had tools to be effective and his play has gotten better lately.

But what happened in Florida was he was relied upon quite a bit, probably too much and then he completely lost it.

So I suppose it's 50/50 now, is the confidence and maturity at a higher level to handle a bigger role, basically being the #1 defenseman on the Habs. Or is he going to revert to a turnover machine trying to do too much.

I voted yes, but see him more of a 2nd pairing guy. Although he did play good minutes 5 on 5, overall he didn't reach 19 minutes per game in a season with the Pens. That's going to change now, and the situation in Montreal is closer to what it was in Florida than Pittsburgh. Hopefully he's up to the challenge.

Any reason he didn't do much PP in Florida?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad