Value of: Mike Hoffman to Calgary

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Drai still has 8 more points in 5 fewer games. Bennett is playing well right now, maybe even currently better than Drai, but seasons have ups and downs so let's not get carried away making such bold declarations when Bennett hasn't caught Drai in production.
How many points do you think Sam Bennett would have if he started the year on McDavid's wing and with Drai's icetime? Pretty sure he would be well ahead of those 8 points in difference by a substantial amount.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
How many points do you think Sam Bennett would have if he started the year on McDavid's wing and with Drai's icetime? Pretty sure he would be well ahead of those 8 points in difference by a substantial amount.

I like Bennett more than most but I am not sure you could say that for sure and certainly not "by a substantial amount."

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
I like Bennett more than most but I am not sure you could say that for sure and certainly not "by a substantial amount."

you could put Troy Brouwer on McDavid's wing and he would be a 30+ goal scorer, look at Maroon. Pretty sure Bennett would look farther ahead than he is playing with McDavid by a lot.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Give Sammy a concussion too, then, in the interest of 'fairness'. Drai is pretty clearly still not 100% from the hit to the head he took from Trouba.

The biggest thing that is hurting Draisaitl right now is the Oilers mind-bogglingly terrible powerplay setup and personnel choices. He's still tied for 33rd in the league for even strength points (tied with Matthews, I hear he's pretty good)

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
Give Sammy a concussion too, then, in the interest of 'fairness'. Drai is pretty clearly still not 100% from the hit to the head he took from Trouba.

The biggest thing that is hurting Draisaitl right now is the Oilers mind-bogglingly terrible powerplay setup and personnel choices. He's still tied for 33rd in the league for even strength points (tied with Matthews, I hear he's pretty good)
I thought Nurse punched out Leon?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If the return you are expecting on Hoffman is a player of Tkachuk's promise and level you are going to be very disappointed.

It has nothing to do with the return I expect, and it's a very simple concept to handle.

Reports out of Ottawa state that they aren't in selling mode. They want to make a change, but if they do, they want to trade a core member for a younger player. The only person who fits that profile on CGY who'd be worth trading Hoffman for is Tkachuk.

Whether or not CGY would trade Tkachuk for Hoffman is irrelevant because the question isn't "What would it take for Ottawa to acquire Tkachuk", the question is "What would it take for CGY to acquire Mike Hoffman".

Reactions: Duncstar

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Parsons is far from a dime a dozen prospect but as I already said I am looking at it from a Flames perspective and they have no need for a LHS LW as they already have two better LHS LW on the roster and have a big hole on the right side. So it makes no sense for them to give up assets for something they don't need. Especially since they have no goalies they need to keep as many guys as they can and hope that one turns out.

It isn't being a homer it is acutally understanding a teams needs and looking at the deal from that perspective rather than just rushing in with no knowledge calling people homers.

Sorry saying you wouldnt trade one of those piece for a first line LW when one of the piece is a 3rd line LW (both LWS) is being an homer... I can understand you wouldnt trade Parsons since he is your best hope of a number 1 goalie. IMO he is not that special and half the league has an equivalent or better goalie prospects in their ranks... and with goalies you never know until they are tested in the show...

Anyway, I wasnt trying to attack you personnaly or specifically, just I thought Hoffman was undervalued a little... I see him a lot being a habs fan and I can see he is good despite my hate for the sens. I also thought he could help you guys with you PowerPlay...

Banner

Jan 12, 2012
Hoffman is severely underrated and would wreak havoc playing with Johnny and Monahan. He does play RW too, yes? However I doubt BT will part with Tkachuk if thats the starting price, flames are extremely high on him.

I think if Hoffman is attainable without giving up any members of the flames top 6, the deal should be made.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Sorry saying you wouldnt trade one of those piece for a first line LW when one of the piece is a 3rd line LW (both LWS) is being an homer... I can understand you wouldnt trade Parsons since he is your best hope of a number 1 goalie. IMO he is not that special and half the league has an equivalent or better goalie prospects in their ranks... and with goalies you never know until they are tested in the show...

Anyway, I wasnt trying to attack you personnaly or specifically, just I thought Hoffman was undervalued a little... I see him a lot being a habs fan and I can see he is good despite my hate for the sens. I also thought he could help you guys with you PowerPlay...

Again it isn't being a homer it is realizing that those pieces could be better used to get a need.

We have Gaudreau and Tkachuk already so no Hoffman would not be a 1st line LW he would be the 3rd line LW. Also that "3rd LW" that you are talking about is 21 year olds and on a cheap deal, likely to sign a much cheaper deal than Hoffman on his next deal.

It is a deal that makes no sense for the Flames so that is why I wouldn't make it. You can talk about how great Hoffman is and that is wonderful but he doesn't make sense for the Flames to add to their team as he is the position which is arguably their strongest spot.

Banner

Jan 12, 2012
Again it isn't being a homer it is realizing that those pieces could be better used to get a need.

We have Gaudreau and Tkachuk already so no Hoffman would not be a 1st line LW he would be the 3rd line LW. Also that "3rd LW" that you are talking about is 21 year olds and on a cheap deal, likely to sign a much cheaper deal than Hoffman on his next deal.

It is a deal that makes no sense for the Flames so that is why I wouldn't make it. You can talk about how great Hoffman is and that is wonderful but he doesn't make sense for the Flames to add to their team as he is the position which is arguably their strongest spot.

I love Tkachuk but I’d absolutely put Hoff on the 2nd line over him, despite his chemistry with Backs and Fro. At this point in time anyway.

And Hoff plays right side as well. In fact, he’s playing RW alongside Dzingel and Brassard in their game tonight.

RW is an incredibly scarce position in this league so I don’t think the flames have a right to be picky with their winger options i.e has to be a RHS. RWers with good offensive presence are rarely on the trade block. He would be incredible on the top line and PP, I think you’d be crazy as a flames fan to not want this guy on the team. To reiterate.. He plays RW as well.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I love Tkachuk but I’d absolutely put Hoff on the 2nd line over him, despite his chemistry with Backs and Fro. At this point in time anyway.

And Hoff plays right side as well. In fact, he’s playing RW alongside Dzingel and Brassard in their game tonight.

RW is an incredibly scarce position in this league so I don’t think the flames have a right to be picky with their winger options i.e has to be a RHS. RWers with good offensive presence are rarely on the trade block. He would be incredible on the top line and PP, I think you’d be crazy as a flames fan to not want this guy on the team. To reiterate.. He plays RW as well.

Hoffman is one of the best one-timer shooter from the RW as a LHS. Flames shoulnd't touch it if it's fort Tkachuk. Prospects + 1st or 2nd if the prospect is really good or if you add a roster player. He would help their PP a lot too I think, as he's probably Ottawa's biggest treat on the PP with Karlsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad