Value of: Mike Hoffman to Calgary

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Hoffman would most certainly play with Gaudreau and Monahan.

Did we trade Ferland in your proposal?

We finally seem to have solved who plays on Monahan and Gaudreau's right side and you want to try and solve it again?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Did we trade Ferland in your proposal?

We finally seem to have solved who plays on Monahan and Gaudreau's right side and you want to try and solve it again?

Ferland is a passenger on that line. He doesn't contribute anything other than being a warm body. Yes he scores some goals but only if Monahan or Gaudreau can create the play and set him up.

It would be nice to have someone on that line that is actually skilled and can contribute something rather than just benefiting from the other two.

That said a left handed Hoffman that will likely cost too much is not the guy.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Ferland is a passenger on that line. He doesn't contribute anything other than being a warm body. Yes he scores some goals but only if Monahan or Gaudreau can create the play and set him up.

It would be nice to have someone on that line that is actually skilled and can contribute something rather than just benefiting from the other two.

That said a left handed Hoffman that will likely cost too much is not the guy.

Ferland is certainly the weakest on the line, but he's not even close to being a passenger. Last year the top line struggled until Ferland was put on the line. Ferland has shown great ability to finish plays which is what Gaudreau (a great passer) needs. The guy has 12 goals this year. He's on pace to get 30 goals. Gaudreau and Monahan are both having career years and you think that it's because they have a linemate (who's on pace for 30 goals) bringing them down? Saying he isn't skilled is just flat out ignorant.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Would much rather go after Mark Stone than Hoffman to fill our RHS need.
As all Sens fans would say, we highly doubt Stone is available and if he was it would be a price around what we gave up for Duchene.
With Hoffman you're getting a 55 point 25 goal scorer that can hit 30 and is on a team friendly cap hit.
I'd assume Ottawa would want a roster player, a top prospect and a first round pick.
Maybe one of Bennett or Ferland, Parsons and a 1st.

GuyBoucherEvilGenius

Nov 23, 2017
Stone makes more sense for Calgary IMO.

But Ottawa probably only trades him if they're blowing it up for a full blown rebuild (trading Karlsson, tanking the rest of the season, etc.) or receiving a massive overpayment that addresses multiple needs (young top 6 forward or top 4 D with big upside, young goalie with starting potential). Most people see him as future captain if Karlsson leaves.

I'd be more willing to explore trading Stone than most others.
Interested in pieces like Monahan, Tkachuk, Hamilton, Brodie, Bennett, Gillies, Jankowski.
Willing to move Stone, Ceci, Brassard, Smith, Nick Paul, Anderson, Condon.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
As all Sens fans would say, we highly doubt Stone is available and if he was it would be a price around what we gave up for Duchene.
With Hoffman you're getting a 55 point 25 goal scorer that can hit 30 and is on a team friendly cap hit.
I'd assume Ottawa would want a roster player, a top prospect and a first round pick.
Maybe one of Bennett or Ferland, Parsons and a 1st.

Bennett, Parsons and a 1st for Hoffman?

I wouldn't trade 1 of those for him let alone all 3.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Ferland is certainly the weakest on the line, but he's not even close to being a passenger. Last year the top line struggled until Ferland was put on the line. Ferland has shown great ability to finish plays which is what Gaudreau (a great passer) needs. The guy has 12 goals this year. He's on pace to get 30 goals. Gaudreau and Monahan are both having career years and you think that it's because they have a linemate (who's on pace for 30 goals) bringing them down? Saying he isn't skilled is just flat out ignorant.

I know this is a go to for Ferland fans but it really isn't true. He came in and was hot for the first few games but then was garbage for the last 15-20 and the play-offs. I guess maybe he was creating stuff without getting any points but watching the games this wasn't true at all either.

When that top line was really going well it was with Hudler in his one fluke year and the 3 guys all had good numbers. With Ferland his goal totals are decent but his assists are pathetic because he relies on leeching off the other two rather than being able to contribute. I am not saying he needs to match Monahan and Gaudreau but he should at least be in the ball park and he isn't remotely close.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017

I should have clarifyed my statement rather than give examples.
I'd say the value of Hoffman is a roster player, top prospect and a 1st round pick.
Where am I getting this value from? Many credible sources say the value to rent Evander Kane is a top prospect, a first and a roster player, I'm just looking at the comparables here.
Hoffman isn't a rental, he's under contract for this season, plus two more after at a 5.17 cap hit.
I'd have to say Hoffman would garner more value than Kane right now since he's still under contract at a great cap hit, offers what Kane can bring (If not more) and does it without that off ice personality of Kane.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I should have clarifyed my statement rather than give examples.
I'd say the value of Hoffman is a roster player, top prospect and a 1st round pick.
Where am I getting this value from? Many credible sources say the value to rent Evander Kane is a top prospect, a first and a roster player, I'm just looking at the comparables here.
Hoffman isn't a rental, he's under contract for this season, plus two more after at a 5.17 cap hit.
I'd have to say Hoffman would garner more value than Kane right now since he's still under contract at a great cap hit, offers what Kane can bring (If not more) and does it without that off ice personality of Kane.

I don't see anyway that it makes sense for the Flames to trade for Hoffman so if that is the value (fair enough) but I don't see it making any sense for the Flames to trade that much for him whether it is a "fair trade" at all or not.

I was commenting from a Flames perspective in not dealing any of those more than a straight "that is a terrible value" for Hoffman perspective. The value may be there but the Flames can't afford it.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Sens would want Matthew Tkachuk probably.

I get the impression through listening to Dorion and reading what people like Garrioch have written about the situation (writing informed by his "sources"...) that the Senators don't want to force a trade, and if they do make a trade where they move a key player, they want a good young player back.

Good young player translates to player who might not be as good right now, but is a sure thing NHLer, and costs less because of ELC+non-arb RFA years. That's at least my interpretation.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
Sens would want Matthew Tkachuk probably.

I get the impression through listening to Dorion and reading what people like Garrioch have written about the situation (writing informed by his "sources"...) that the Senators don't want to force a trade, and if they do make a trade where they move a key player, they want a good young player back.

Good young player translates to player who might not be as good right now, but is a sure thing NHLer, and costs less because of ELC+non-arb RFA years. That's at least my interpretation.

For Hoffman or Stone?

No way you get Tkachuk for Hoffman, Stone likely with Calgary adding a bit

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

You're a total homer! Parsons? really? he's a dime a dozen prospect... I'm a habs fan and I can say Hoffman is a first line LW or really good second line LW. Probably their biggest treat on the PP with Karlsson. Think of a prime Mike Cammallari but faster and less injury prone. (maybe not as clutch as of now)

Might not be worth 3 good piece, but Pa 1st + good prospects definetly. I think his value is similar to Pacioretty when you take contracts into account. Slight edge to Pacioretty because of better goal scoring, espacially 5vs5 and with lesser C. Because everyone's a bit of a homer too :p

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Stone is worth more than tkachuk atm, really doubt ottawa moves him hes their best player other than healthy ek and as a shooter hoffman would be fine on his offside

Last edited:
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
You're a total homer! Parsons? really? he's a dime a dozen prospect... I'm a habs fan and I can say Hoffman is a first line LW or really good second line LW. Probably their biggest treat on the PP with Karlsson. Think of a prime Mike Cammallari but faster and less injury prone. (maybe not as clutch as of now)

Might not be worth 3 good piece, but Pa 1st + good prospects definetly. I think his value is similar to Pacioretty when you take contracts into account. Slight edge to Pacioretty because of better goal scoring, espacially 5vs5 and with lesser C. Because everyone's a bit of a homer too :p

Parsons is far from a dime a dozen prospect but as I already said I am looking at it from a Flames perspective and they have no need for a LHS LW as they already have two better LHS LW on the roster and have a big hole on the right side. So it makes no sense for them to give up assets for something they don't need. Especially since they have no goalies they need to keep as many guys as they can and hope that one turns out.

It isn't being a homer it is acutally understanding a teams needs and looking at the deal from that perspective rather than just rushing in with no knowledge calling people homers.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad