Kings News: Mike Futa staying with LA - Promoted to VP Hockey Operations

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Anything over a million and imo they need to let him walk. Their are cheaper options that provide more. Same goes for Lewis and Clifford.

There are cheaper prospects....No idea if they provide more (Yet).

Folks scoring 15 goals in the NHL today, is not an easy task. Tyler Toffoli the Kings pure scoring prospect only netted 12 in 62 games.

I agree with Clifford/Lewis though, they are not worth the cap hit, and the Kings pretty much know what they are getting from them.

21 Goals in the last 240 NHL games between Cliff/Lewis is just awful and not enough.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
There are cheaper prospects....No idea if they provide more (Yet).

Folks scoring 15 goals in the NHL today, is not an easy task. Tyler Toffoli the Kings pure scoring prospect only netted 12 in 62 games.

I agree with Clifford/Lewis though, they are not worth the cap hit, and the Kings pretty much know what they are getting from them.

21 Goals in the last 240 NHL games between Cliff/Lewis is just awful and not enough.

How many of these 15 goals he had was while playing on the top 2 lines?

I'm pretty sure he won't score 15 with gabs and pearson ahead of him now.

I'm not trying to knock king, but if we are talking about a 3rd or 4th player, I much rather let someone who provides more than just scoring.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
How many of these 15 goals he had was while playing on the top 2 lines?

I'm pretty sure he won't score 15 with gabs and pearson ahead of him now.

I'm not trying to knock king, but if we are talking about a 3rd or 4th player, I much rather let someone who provides more than just scoring.

It doesn't matter where he scored them, he scored them.

Scoring is a problem for the Kings, King has provided that.

The dead weight on the team is Clifford/Lewis maybe even Nolan to some extent.

Stoll as well,

Is anyone really going to complain if King pots 20 next year playing all over the lineup ?

No assurance Gabo resigns with the Kings. So I wouldn't count on him till he is under contract.

Not sure what Pearson is going to provide offense wise....He is still a prospect pretty much.

Pearson has 7 points in 25 NHL games so far, it's early in his career.

Last edited:

Winger23

May 3, 2007
It doesn't matter where he scored them, he scored them.

Scoring is a problem for the Kings, King has provided that.

The dead weight on the team is Clifford/Lewis maybe even Nolan to some extent.

Stoll as well,

Is anyone really going to complain if King pots 20 next year playing all over the lineup ?

No assurance Gabo resigns with the Kings. So I wouldn't count on him till he is under contract.

Not sure what Pearson is going to provide offense wise....He is still a prospect pretty much.

Pearson has 7 points in 25 NHL games so far, it's early in his career.

I beg to differ, as it does matter what line he scored them on. I give him all the credit in the world for stepping up and netting 15 goals, but he simply will not produce that playing on the bottom two lines, nor should he be expected to.

Pearson is still a rookie, yes. But he already looks more dangerous with the puck than king ever will. Not signing gabs at this point would be a huge mistake.

Bottom line to me is you need to look at it from a 3rd or 4th line point of view. He doesn't provide speed, doesn't hit, what exactly is he providing that others can't provide and more? King will not score 20 goals playing in the bottom 6 so again I would prefer to see a guy who provides more than just chewing up minutes.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I beg to differ, as it does matter what line he scored them on. I give him all the credit in the world for stepping up and netting 15 goals, but he simply will not produce that playing on the bottom two lines, nor should he be expected to.

Pearson is still a rookie, yes. But he already looks more dangerous with the puck than king ever will. Not signing gabs at this point would be a huge mistake.

Bottom line to me is you need to look at it from a 3rd or 4th line point of view. He doesn't provide speed, doesn't hit, what exactly is he providing that others can't provide and more? King will not score 20 goals playing in the bottom 6 so again I would prefer to see a guy who provides more than just chewing up minutes.

Well you can't know prospects will provide anything either...

They are prospects, for all we know Pearson can be a huge flop next season.

Look at Slava, Who is more talented than Pearson.

King will still be a cheap option, that has outproduced Clifford/Lewis.

Lombardi will most likely resign him. Even at 10 goals in the bottom six he will out produce Everyone down there.

The Kings are thin at LW even in Manchester, King will be brought back most likely cause he will be cheap.

King is not taking Pearson's spot anyway, they both can be in the lineup.

If anything the debate is Clifford or King ......I take King.

Nolan is a RW/C, Lewis is a RW/C. Andy is a Center.

Shore is a Center, Vey is a Center. Weal is a Center.

Manchester has no LW, that are ready to play NHL games.

Last edited:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Well you can't know prospects will provide anything either...

They are prospects, for all we know Pearson can be a huge flop next season.

Look at Slava, Who is more talented than Pearson.

King will still be a cheap option, that has outproduced Clifford/Lewis.

Lombardi will most likely resign him. Even at 10 goals in the bottom six he will out produce Everyone down there.

The Kings are thin at LW even in Manchester, King will be brought back most likely cause he will be cheap.

King is not taking Pearson's spot anyway, they both can be in the lineup.

If anything the debate is Clifford or King ......I take King.

Nolan is a RW/C, Lewis is a RW/C. Andy is a Center.

Shore is a Center, Vey is a Center. Weal is a Center.

Manchester has no LW, that are ready to play NHL games.

This disgusts me.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
This disgusts me.

Lombardi.....

Resigned Clifford/Lewis.....

Ughhh

Andy/Shore/Vey/Weal.

All Centers that could be ready sometime next season.

Shore is going to be a good one(I hope, can't really know for sure till NHL games).

I could rationlize the Clifford/King resigns, the Kings are just really weak Organization wide on LW.

The UFA route is just going to cost too much for a bottom six guy.

Last edited:

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

We said that after last season too and he still produced 15 goals. The guy has enough skill to fill in on a top 2 line and not embarrass himself and can be a regular 3rd liner who when the dust settles will pot 25-40 points a season. King isn't a stud, but he's done far better than we expected and this was his first full NHL season (non-lockout). He really should be only getting better going forward.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
Andreoff can play all 3 spots. Mostly plays LW in Manchester. Mersch is also a LW who I think will adapt to the pro game pretty quickly.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
We said that after last season too and he still produced 15 goals. The guy has enough skill to fill in on a top 2 line and not embarrass himself and can be a regular 3rd liner who when the dust settles will pot 25-40 points a season. King isn't a stud, but he's done far better than we expected and this was his first full NHL season (non-lockout). He really should be only getting better going forward.

Again I gave him credit for filling in, but people keep pointing to the 15 goals. He got most of, he not all of them playing with kopi or with carter. I'm all for keeping king for the bottom 6 but its the price tag of north of a million that im balking at.

There is also no way his point range is anywhere near 40 a season on this team. Unless he has significant time in the top 6 again I think realistically 25 points with 8 to 10 goals.

I hope people don't take these posts the wrong way, I just think the bottom 6 needs a major overhaul.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Again I gave him credit for filling in, but people keep pointing to the 15 goals. He got most of, he not all of them playing with kopi or with carter. I'm all for keeping king for the bottom 6 but its the price tag of north of a million that im balking at.

There is also no way his point range is anywhere near 40 a season on this team. Unless he has significant time in the top 6 again I think realistically 25 points with 8 to 10 goals.

I hope people don't take these posts the wrong way, I just think the bottom 6 needs a major overhaul.

No, I don't take them the wrong way. I get where you are coming from, I just think you overestimate the power of $1 million (or less).

Going through the rosters on capgeek for today, there are 111 players making $1 million or less who aren't on an entry level contract. Of those 111, the following players have numbers even remotely close to Kings:

(Numbers beside the players name are games, goals, assists, points and penalty minutes)

Paul Byron 47-7-14-21-27
Joe Colborne 80-10-18-28-34
Gabriel Bourque 74-9-17-26-12
Ryan Garbutt 75-17-15-32-106
Kyle Chipchura 80-5-15-20-45
Rob Klinkhammer 72-11-9-20-19
Nick Bonino 77-22-27-49-22
Patrick Maroon 62-11-18-29-101
Matt Calvert 56-9-15-24-53
Brian Gibbons 41-5-12-17-6
Ben Smith 75-14-12-26-2
Mason Raymond 82-19-26-45-22
Justin Fontaine 66-13-8-21
Patrick Dwyer 75-8-14-22-14
Andrei Loktionov 68-7-15-22-14
Ryan Reaves 63-2-6-8-126 4/1.125 million per
Riley Nash 73-10-14-24-29
Nathan Gerbe 81-16-15-31-36
Gustav Nyquist 57-28-20-48-10
Tommy Wingels 77-16-22-38-35
Matt Read 75-22-18-40-16
Brad Boyes 78-21-15-36-28

That's 22 players. Of those 22 players, only seven had more goals than King and eight had more points.

It should be noted Ryan Garbutt signed an extension of three years at $1.8 million per season, Nick Bonino signed for 2 years at $1.9 million per season, Matt Read got 4 years at $3.625 million per season and Brad Boyes had 2 years at $2.625 million per season.

I also listed Ryan Reaves to point out he got a two year extension at $1.125 million per season.

Basically there are a total of seven or eight players in the entire NHL who are producing better numbers at King's salary and four of them are starting a new contract next year paying WELL over $1 million. If you think we are going to get better production for $1 million or less you are basically looking for a rebound player like Boyes. And those are rare. Very rare. Not to mention I don't think I'd want Boyes more than King anyway.

Letting King walk for seeking over $1 million would be shooting ourselves in the foot.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad