Kings News: Mike Futa staying with LA - Promoted to VP Hockey Operations

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Here is a rumor that might be complete B.S. but also has been tossed around today that I found interesting. With the draft coming up (I know it is weird with the playoffs going on but for an entire segment of hockey society including NHL workers the draft is like the finals and takes precedence as much as possible. weird but true) there is a bunch of work going on and still some big openings around the NHL.

So one of the things going around is that Futa was going to be offered an asst GM position or head of scouting job with Hextall in Philly. Lots of talk going on about the potential of MF being considered a very strong possibility of working with "Hexy" if he wanted to go there.

There are rumors that Morris will end up working for his old pal in Philly and it makes a sort of sense that MF would get a jumbo jump there too. Of course MF isn't going to happen now so there isn't any point in posting the rumor but I found it interesting. The timing of this announcement as well as Morris' is what I found interesting.

Not that there are any set rules of when to make these sort of decisions but in the heat of a cup battle against your cross town rival is what I found to be somewhat interesting.

There isn't a person who has worked for DL over the past couple of years that has a bad thing to say about him and no way that RH or MF would leave without his blessing so there isn't any hint of double dealing going on or at least none that I have ever heard.

If I were Luc or even PA I would want to let the world know that I had just come to an agreement with MF as well so no biggie. Just another example of how things work in an org that is run at the pinnacle of professionalism where loyalty and hard work are rewarded with gratitude and advancement.

How it is supposed to be.

KingKopitar11*

Here is a rumor that might be complete B.S. but also has been tossed around today that I found interesting. With the draft coming up (I know it is weird with the playoffs going on but for an entire segment of hockey society including NHL workers the draft is like the finals and takes precedence as much as possible. weird but true) there is a bunch of work going on and still some big openings around the NHL.

So one of the things going around is that Futa was going to be offered an asst GM position or head of scouting job with Hextall in Philly. Lots of talk going on about the potential of MF being considered a very strong possibility of working with "Hexy" if he wanted to go there.

There are rumors that Morris will end up working for his old pal in Philly and it makes a sort of sense that MF would get a jumbo jump there too. Of course MF isn't going to happen now so there isn't any point in posting the rumor but I found it interesting. The timing of this announcement as well as Morris' is what I found interesting.

Not that there are any set rules of when to make these sort of decisions but in the heat of a cup battle against your cross town rival is what I found to be somewhat interesting.

There isn't a person who has worked for DL over the past couple of years that has a bad thing to say about him and no way that RH or MF would leave without his blessing so there isn't any hint of double dealing going on or at least none that I have ever heard.

If I were Luc or even PA I would want to let the world know that I had just come to an agreement with MF as well so no biggie. Just another example of how things work in an org that is run at the pinnacle of professionalism where loyalty and hard work are rewarded with gratitude and advancement.

How it is supposed to be.

That makes a lot of sense actually. Interesting rumor. Cool to read. Thank you.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 7m
Michael Futa promoted to Vice President of Hockey Operations and Director of Player Personnel with the #LAKings.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Martinez and Muzzin needs to be extended as soon as possible or we are going to face very difficult situation in a year.

I agree both need to be extended however its not prioirty number one. I think resigning gaborik is first followed by a decession on mitchell and greene then find replacements for them if not resigned. The we deal with king. After that we can talk to muzzin and martinez.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider 7m
Michael Futa promoted to Vice President of Hockey Operations and Director of Player Personnel with the #LAKings.

Who held these roles currently/previously?? Drawing a blank.

But yay for Futa!!!

KingKopitar11*

King Lewis Clifford.

Three players.

A triangle has three points.

Lewis King Clifford are the Bermuda triangle. All offense disappears.

Coincidence? I think not.

Last edited by a moderator:

T2M

Jan 28, 2004
Like I have said over and over again and as recently as yesterday in other threads Futa will go nowhere and has been rumored for a couple of different jobs with the org.

He is absolutely a legend in the world of scouting and there was simply no way that DL would let him walk without going as far out of his way as possible to keep him happy/locked up for as long as possible.

This is just as big of a deal for our continued success as anything else in the world of hockey.

Simply said MFuta is the best in the game today at what he does.

He is also a great teacher and one hell of a human.

Would it be fair to say that Dean wants to have a relationship with Futa that resembles Lamorello and Conte's?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I think you got to pay him He was tied for 5th in team goals with Brown. I'm not his biggest fan but seems fair to me. More then lewis and less then Regher

Using UFA eligible signed contracts won't work. King doesn't have the leverage those two had.

I'd put King ahead of Lewis still though, but not by much. He won't go above $1.5 million per season, which is double his current salary. I'd say roughly $1.4 million annually.

And great news on Futa, however does the title change remove him from the amatuer scouting?

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Using UFA eligible signed contracts won't work. King doesn't have the leverage those two had.

I'd put King ahead of Lewis still though, but not by much. He won't go above $1.5 million per season, which is double his current salary. I'd say roughly $1.4 million annually.

And great news on Futa, however does the title change remove him from the amatuer scouting?

Anything over a million and imo they need to let him walk. Their are cheaper options that provide more. Same goes for Lewis and Clifford.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad