Confirmed with Link: Mike Condon (PIT) to the Senators for 5th round pick

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Let's be clear - the minute that Andy's wife starts getting chemo treatment in Florida (presuming that is the course they take) he is going to be out of the picture for a while. That is totally understandable, of course, and the club knew that this time is likely coming. You hope that he is only gone for a couple of short stints here and there, but we don't know that yet.

Of all the options out there, Condon was the best. He's on a cheap, expiring contract and has a full season of NHL experience where he didn't look woefully out of place despite being on a team that was a defensive train wreck in Montreal. I was drinking the Hammond Kool-Aid during that miracle run like everyone else, but given his weak play and injury history of late, it's hard to have a lot of confidence in him as a long term solution.

Finally, if you want to see the value of a 5th rounder, I would urge you to check out all the 5th rounds of the NHL draft over the last, say, 10 or 15 years, and see how many names you recognize. (Spoiler alert - it's going to be a very low number.)

Sounds like you're drinking the Condon Kool aid. Hammond has been a flat our much better NHL goalie. Montreal felt it necessary to get a new back up after a full season of watching Condon. What does that say exactly?....

I do think the sens needed to do something I am just worried about the asset management of this teams picks. In the last 5 months since Dorion took over he has traded a 2nd, 3rd and a 5th in situations where the value is just not justified. That 5th is more important to this team because they are already short on picks to begin with

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Sounds like you're drinking the Condon Kool aid. Hammond has been a flat our much better NHL goalie. Montreal felt it necessary to get a new back up after a full season of watching Condon. What does that say exactly?....

I do think the sens needed to do something I am just worried about the asset management of this teams picks. In the last 5 months since Dorion took over he has traded a 2nd, 3rd and a 5th in situations where the value is just not justified. That 5th is more important to this team because they are already short on picks to begin with

This is terrible rationale. We should also trade for David Clarkson because we're short on guys whose last name is Clarkson.

The 5th is not more important to this team, right now. It may not even turn out to be more important in the long term. Think about it – we know we're getting a serviceable backup goalie now, but that 5th rounder could be anything. It could even be a serviceable backup goalie!

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Trial by fire!

That's a tough intro with a hungry, frustrated Canucks team at the door.

Or the other way you could look at is, he faces a Canucks team that has lost 5 in a row and is on the 2nd half of a road back to back. They're also dead last in goals per game fwiw.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
It was either a 5th for a goalie that can play at a back up level, or trade something more for someone costing not only more dollars but would likely have more term too, handcuffing us for next year.

Comparing Condon to Hammond is a moot point considering he's injured so it's not like he was an option. And calling up both AHL goalies doesn't work because then we have no capable goalie for our development league team.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Are some still going on about that 5th rounder??Jesus give it a rest already ,we arent playing for draft picks this season .We are a that that wants to make the playoffs ,not some rebuilding club that is hoarding picks.Trying to build the nhl team plus its ahl club .We have enough prospects ,and we will draft more with our 1st rounders:nod:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Holy hell all the asset management talk makes me want to ram my head into the wall.

You and me both. IMO the cling to the 5th round pick is bordering on ridiculous. I get the need for draft picks but ... it should be pretty obvious we need goal tending help NOW. And that 5th rounder is replaceable . Its not like we did not get an NHL asset for the the 5th rounder

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
His .903 career save percentage in the NHL is why he was on waivers. It's why I think giving up a 5th for a player that just cleared is too much. Especially when Pittsburgh is forced to put him back on. Yes I acknowledge that someone else could have picked him up before Ottawa but it doesn't mean they have to overpay again.

Okay, so what would you have done? Start Driedger tonight with O'Connor backing up?'

We can't go after a big name goalie. We can't throw two AHLers out there for an extended period of time. Honestly, what exactly should they have done instead? Lay it out for me, because so far all you've come up with is "well they needed to do something" and complaining about asset management.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Okay, so what would you have done? Start Driedger tonight with O'Connor backing up?'

We can't go after a big name goalie. We can't throw two AHLers out there for an extended period of time. Honestly, what exactly should they have done instead? Lay it out for me, because so far all you've come up with is "well they needed to do something" and complaining about asset management.

or for the next month?

I think he's saying a 5th is too much , he'd have rather given a 7th... ok... I am sure everyone would but ...

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

We should just blow it all up ,and gain draft picks because there is no hope:dunno:

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Well the team is desperate to make the playoffs so yeah, trading for a goalie makes sense considering what's going on.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
You and me both. IMO the cling to the 5th round pick is bordering on ridiculous. I get the need for draft picks but ... it should be pretty obvious we need goal tending help NOW. And that 5th rounder is replaceable . Its not like we did not get an NHL asset for the the 5th rounder

I get the annoyance with trading away a lot of second round picks.

But when we're *****ing about 5th rounders and using "asset management" as the rationale, it's just ridiculous.

For every Mark Stone you show me, I can show you 10 Ryan Daniels'.

Who the hell is Ryan Daniels? That's exactly my point.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

:facepalm:
A 5th through 7th round pick are effectively the same value in terms of likelihood of a player making the league and making an impact.
We are not short on picks. We are missing our 2nds,and one 5th but have an extra 7th over the next two years. So we are 'short' a total of 2 2nd round picks which is roughly a 70% chance to get an NHL player... But we got a top 6 player in the process of losing those... So yeah, playing the percentages.

We had to make the trade to guarantee that we can get a goalie that fits in the budget. LA or Boston as pointed out would have claimed him if he was on waivers. Flowers and Pavelac are way out of budget and signed beyond this year.

There was literally no other options unless you seriously wanted to go forward on this season with two goalies that combine for less than four games in total minutes played at the NHL level.

Get your facts straight and stop being misleading and making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Whether we gave up a 5th or a 7th is a moot point because they're functionally equivalent and we had to make a trade to guarantee that we got a goalie.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

But when we're *****ing about 5th rounders and using "asset management" as the rationale, it's just ridiculous.

I know Jack but ,,, have very limited recollection of Ryan... Maybe Jack helped me forget.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Would you trade a 5th round pick in order to acquire a goalie that, considering the current circumstances around Anderson, might make the difference between making the playoffs and not making the playoffs?

The answer is yes. Absolutely.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Holy hell all the asset management talk makes me want to ram my head into the wall.

This.

So

much

THIS

Are people really upset over a 5th rounder???

The season is at risk of being derailed by awful circumstances, Dorion stabilizes things by bringing in a guy who played 55 games in net last year. What do people do? Talk about asset management. I can't tell if I should laugh or cry.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Dunno who Ryan Daniels is, but surely we missed out on the next Dustin Rose with the 5th gone, amirite?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I mean, ****, let alone the hockey ops side of things. I'd trade a 5th round pick for the sole purpose of making Craig and Nicholle comfortable with Craig taking time off the team. We saw how Hammond's injury added stress to their situation, to the point of Nicholle pushing Craig to return to the team. They don't need that added stress right now.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I mean, ****, let alone the hockey ops side of things. I'd trade a 5th round pick for the sole purpose of making Craig and Nicholle comfortable with Craig taking time off the team. We saw how Hammond's injury added stress to their situation, to the point of Nicholle pushing Craig to return to the team. They don't need that added stress right now.

Exactly.

Craig can't be with the team now. He needs to be with Nicholle.

If he were with the team, his head and heart would be elsewhere.

This gives us a safety net allowing Anderson to take care of what really matters, and with Hammond on the I.R allows us an NHL tested goalie for however long he's needed.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Would you trade a 5th round pick in order to acquire a goalie that, considering the current circumstances around Anderson, might make the difference between making the playoffs and not making the playoffs?

The answer is yes. Absolutely.

Why make the playoff when you can miss the playoff and have better pick :sarcasm:

Because it seems that all some think about.. is the future.. Maybe we should keep our present goal in mind while trying the best to have a future.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
LOL at people complaining about a 5th round pick. haha. Come on guys.

Take a look at the situation that created the need for Dorion to make this move, and then stand up straight, then spread your legs apart, then bend at the waist, then insert your head into your rectum, then take a deep deep sniff. That's what I think of your complaining about this trade.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

This trade has nothing to do with asset management. It's clearly a new situation/context that unfortunately was created with the cancer diagnosis of Andy's wife. Who cares if Pittsburgh got him for free? They got lucky, and Ottawa were not because of Cancer. Get real people :facepalm:

And dear God knows how much the Sens need goalies in the pipeline rather than forwards or defense prospects... I'm hopeful Condon becomes a better goalie that people think, would be a nice "thank you Montreal".

Heck, there won't be a lot of spots available for White, Brown, Perron, Paul, Chlapik, Dahlen, Gagne, etc and Englund, Jaros, Lajoie, Claesson, etc. Our pool is fine, picks are disposable assets. Hopefully, they eventually trade away some players not needed anymore for picks (Boro, Puempel?)

Can't we just pretend that the Sens used the 5th rounder to draft a NHL-ready backup goalie that stepped into a time machine that pushed him 8 years into the future?

With the news of Andy leaving the team again, this move makes total sense...

hahaha this, just this.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad