Confirmed with Link: Mike Condon (PIT) to the Senators for 5th round pick

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The value of the pick, and the value of the player that results from the pick are completely different.

It's essentially a lottery ticket. I'd argue you could trade almost anyone of our prospects or players on the roster for a 5th RD pick.

The lottery ticket is the perfect analogy'

I bought 100 tickets for a dollar a piece. I won 90 dollars combined, one ticket got me $50, two $15 each, ten got me $1 each.

I bought another lottery ticket for buck, and somebody offered me 5 dollars for it; should I keep it because I once one $50, or take the $5.

Just because lottery tickets can return $50, doesn't make them worth $50, $5 dollars, or even $1. Those lottery tickets (assuming my sample is an exact reflection of the odds) is woth 90 cents

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I bought 100 tickets for a dollar a piece. I won 90 dollars combined, one ticket got me $50, two $15 each, ten got me $1 each.

I bought another lottery ticket for buck, and somebody offered me 5 dollars for it; should I keep it because I once one $50, or take the $5.

Just because lottery tickets can return $50, doesn't make them worth $50, $5 dollars, or even $1. Those lottery tickets (assuming my sample is an exact reflection of the odds) is woth 90 cents

5xpIe.gif

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
So Condon starts tonight. That is why he was worth a 5th. No matter what. I guess unless he is not NHL caliber.

This team wants to make the playoffs desperately, has maybe it's worse attendance crisis in it's history because fans are bleh at a mediocre team. And we are 6-3, both our NHL goalies are out and neither of our AHL goalies are currently NHL caliber.

We needed Condon. A lot. The team can not afford losing games because we have no NHL caliber goalie. Lose even 2-3-4-5 points you could have had now and that could be the difference between 9th or tenth in the East versus 8th, 7th or 6th or even higher.

This team absolutely needed a capable goalie now. Clearly none of the prospects are ready. Clearly this team has to try to win... competitively, for the players, the new coach and GM, for the fans, for attendance, for $$$.

This was such a no-brainer move that was a must make move.

The 5th is irrelevant. In a perfect world it is always nice to have a 5th. It does have some significant value. There are only 7 rounds these days. Every pick has real tangible value.

But also this is a salvage the season moment potentially. No NHL caliber goalie. Now we have one at league minimum right now. Sure he is low end NHL caliber. But if the team plays well they can win games. Versus Calgary the team played awesome and were blown out because we had no NHL goalie.

Just playing competently for 3/4/5 games could make Condon the difference of whether we make the playoffs in April or not.

It could be a potential millions of dollars in future ticket sales. It is a message to the players and fans that management is going to fill necessary holes in the lineup when they happen.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
What do you want to hear spader?

I said I was okay with the deal, I just don't like people downplaying this team trading draft picks, doesn't matter which round.

Only reason this team isn't the laughing stock of the league is because our scouts have done a great job adding NHL talent through the draft, especially in the later rounds. The more picks they have the better as far as I am concerned.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Condon is a good backup. My concern is how hard this team may rely on him.

It started out well for the Habs too, but because of the Price injury he played far too much and things quickly went downhill.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

It started out well for the Habs too, but because of the Price injury he played far too much and things quickly went downhill.

This is a valid concern, but the reality is Condon is the best option the Senators have right now. It is either Condon, or one of Driedger or O'Connor. I don't think looking at what goalies are apparently available that acquiring Condon was a choice, he just happened to be the only guy out there with NHL experience who would cost almost nothing to acquire, wasn't being paid 4M+, and wasn't signed for multiple years.

Tonights game to me felt more like Condon relying on the team in front of him than the other way around. The Sens seemed to play a safer game. They got caught in their zone at times, and Condon made some timely saves that he deserves credit for. But it didn't feel like the Edmonton game where Andy was bailing the Sens out.

If the Sens drop 5 straight or something with Condon behind them, that is the point where maybe they have to panic and consider calling up a team like Vancouver and seeing what Ryan Miller half retained would cost them. But before they have to give up a huge bundle of assets for a real starter, it makes sense to try and put a bandaid on things with a guy who they got for ONLY a fifth.

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan

This is a good point. Obviously we don't know, but it looks like the Sens may need to rely on him in a manner that he isn't ready for yet (or maybe ever ready for). Still, it's nice that he could come in and play well.

To be honest, I think he overcommitted a few times and got lucky on a couple, but he was solid. I think the real story is that the Sens managed to limit the shots again. That's been a real embarrassing stat line the last few years. Anytime they keep it under 30 shots, I'm happy. Shot suppression and limiting quality chances are going to be the keys to success for this team. If they can keep that up, they should be able to keep rolling.

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
This is a valid concern, but the reality is Condon is the best option the Senators have right now. It is either Condon, or one of Driedger or O'Connor. I don't think looking at what goalies are apparently available that acquiring Condon was a choice, he just happened to be the only guy out there with NHL experience who would cost almost nothing to acquire, wasn't being paid 4M+, and wasn't signed for multiple years.

Tonights game to me felt more like Condon relying on the team in front of him than the other way around. The Sens seemed to play a safer game. They got caught in their zone at times, and Condon made some timely saves that he deserves credit for. But it didn't feel like the Edmonton game where Andy was bailing the Sens out.

If the Sens drop 5 straight or something with Condon behind them, that is the point where maybe they have to panic and consider calling up a team like Vancouver and seeing what Ryan Miller half retained would cost them. But before they have to give up a huge bundle of assets for a real starter, it makes sense to try and put a bandaid on things with a guy who they got for ONLY a fifth.

That makes a lot of sense to me. Shore up the hole in the lineup right away with an inexpensive option and look at the more costly options if this doesn't work out.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
That makes a lot of sense to me. Shore up the hole in the lineup right away with an inexpensive option and look at the more costly options if this doesn't work out.

Exactly. What does VAN ask for if we call up and inquire about Ryan Miller? Especially with his hot start. Probably a 1st as a starting point. Maybe Lazar as part of the package if they want to get cute and bring him a Vancouver native.

Judging by what has been said by Boucher/Dorion about the Anderson situation, nothing is certain, and everything is on a day to day basis. Condon came as close to free as you can get a player in the NHL so it wouldn't have made sense to pass on him. When it comes to giving up big assets for a goalie who has proven he can actually be a starter in the NHL, it makes sense to take a wait and see approach with Anderson's situation and how well the team can rally defensively in front of (eventually) Hammond and Condon.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
That was pointed out in the thread already.

This takes the pressure off and if the Sens want to another goalie can be sought. If you didn't like the "have to make a deal" price of a 5th rounder, you reeeaaaalllly would not have liked the price of a desperation trade for someone closer to a bonafide #1.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Shot suppression and limiting quality chances are going to be the keys to success for this team. If they can keep that up, they should be able to keep rolling.

Reminds me of the game plan when Lehner and Andy went down and we played with Brodeur/Hammond and had the best D all season.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

take the 5 and I'll split it with you.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

But what if the going price for a Stanley Cup ring is $49?

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
So if everything goes right, do you guys think we can flip him for a Conacher eventually?

Ha! As soon as he's ready to dominate, we can make that swap. Here's the scenario: TBL chooses Vas to protect and trades or otherwise loses Bishop. Vas goes down with a career ending injury in game one next season. After re-upping Conacher for his league min contract, we literally make the Bishop trade all over again to the same team!

Match made in heaven. Condon goes on to get Vez looks next year. :yo:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If hypothetically Condon plays good for all the games he starts, what do we end up doing with him? He is a ufa after this season.

Just let him walk? Trade him at the deadline? Trade Hammond instead?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: