Mike Commodore using some logic....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
I think Pronger is St.Louis's Rep, I'm not sure but I'll check that topic about him again.

Also I <3 Commodore now more then ever.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The fact that the union is more worried about the top end points to the fact that agents are a major force in this opperation.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Sotnos said:
Wouldn't it be Linden, NHLPA President?
nah, I think they keep that seperate, the executive remains the same, but team reps change

anyways, from the Hockey News
Carolina - Kevyn Adams - 900k
New Jersey - Brian Rafalski - 3.1 million
Phoenix - Paul Mara - 1.5 million

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
triggrman said:
Every player in the NHL should be happy to be playing a kids game making at minumal 10x the average salary of most work class people.

How about when people pay 100s of dollars to your boss to watch you work, you use the "working class people" analogy. Contrary to popular belief, the work that they do is not "average" so they shouldn't be compared to jobs that you and I hold.

Also why should they just be "happy"? They have intensely trained all their lives and are the best of the best at what they do. They have worked harder to get to where they are than "most working class people" did to get where they are.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
shakes said:
How about when people pay 100s of dollars to your boss to watch you work, you use the "working class people" analogy. Contrary to popular belief, the work that they do is not "average" so they shouldn't be compared to jobs that you and I hold.
If that is the case, then why shouldn't the players take an assigned percentage of the revenues.

Also why should they just be "happy"? They have intensely trained all their lives and are the best of the best at what they do. They have worked harder to get to where they are than "most working class people" did to get where they are.
They also have the oportunnity to retire in their late-30s- early 40's and being an NHler does open doors to other careers.

MrMackey

Aug 7, 2003
cgy
Visit site
shakes said:
They have worked harder to get to where they are than "most working class people" did to get where they are.
If you're talking about getting an education, I'd dispute that. Book learnin' comes easy to some, but I'd say for the average person it takes a bit of work, and starting from a young age. Saying they deserve it because they've trained so hard doesn't wash with me.

The point about the paying audience is fair, I think (share the wealth). But if the boss is being paid $100s to see you work, does it make sense for your boss to pay you $1,000s? If you're going to demand a stake, expect something to be put in place to allow the boss (who's promoting you) to make a bit of $$ too.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
forbesy said:
I think the Canucks is Markus Naslund
for some reason I think the Ducks is Keith Carney, but I'm not sure

The recent issue of the Hockey News that detailed what each player was doing said a lot of the reps, I'll dig it out when I get home

Canucks rep is Brendan Morrison.

Looks more and more like the players will bend first, given the number of role players vs star players.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Sotnos said:
Seems like the lower-paid guys are figuring out that their union isn't looking out for their interests.

Does anyone know where you can find a list of ALL the NHLPA team reps? I know who the executive committee is and who the rep is for a few teams, but I can't find a list of all of them. Just curious.

My guess is, if you had added that you wanted to shoot them, you'd have the complete list by now :D

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
MrMackey said:
If you're talking about getting an education, I'd dispute that. Book learnin' comes easy to some, but I'd say for the average person it takes a bit of work, and starting from a young age. Saying they deserve it because they've trained so hard doesn't wash with me.

The point about the paying audience is fair, I think (share the wealth). But if the boss is being paid $100s to see you work, does it make sense for your boss to pay you $1,000s? If you're going to demand a stake, expect something to be put in place to allow the boss (who's promoting you) to make a bit of $$ too.

My beef isn't with revenue sharing, salary cap, luxury tax or whatever you want to call it, mine is with people who make absurd claims that "every player in the NHL should be happy to be playing a kids game making at minumal 10x the average salary of most work class people" and comments like this. This marginalizes the work and the effort that they do. To compare what it took for player to get to such an elite level to someone who works at GM, drives a cab or works in a big glass building in the city is quite frankly.. stupid. If it was so easy to "play a kids game" for a living then everyone would be doing it. This is why they make millions.

I blame both parties in this and quite frankly if they cancel this season they will have canceled my interest in this sport.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
shakes said:

They're paid entertainers, it's a sport, but people go to watch an exciting hockey game. On one hand, you have owners that make a ton of money, on the other, you have players that get paid a ton of money - to play a game. I understand they worked hard to get where they're at, but a little modesty and saying how privileged they are would go a long way too.

I understand they want their fair shake, they shouldn't have to feel like the owners' slaves, but the only guys that seem to keeping vocal with the hardline stance are the older, established vets that are already set for life. The younger guys and fringe players still want to play and entertain the fans.

rwilson99

Sotnos said:
Thanks John! It might be easier for us to piece it together than to find an actual list.

Tampa's is Tim Taylor. On his last contract, he voluntarily took a 50% paycut for two years and signed without talking to his agent, I'm sure the union LOVES that in their Reps. :)

It's also been nice to see Tails, Andreychuk and other players taking part in local charity function during the lockout.

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
Wait a minute...

Isn't Mike Commodore a bad guy for taking the food off the table of some poor, deserving Lowell Lock Monster? :joker:

I know you're kidding but just to clear this up, I believe he got assigned to the team and is thus just fulfilling the terms of his contract. If that makes him a *******, then Alexi Yashin must be a saint.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
jin said:
I know you're kidding but just to clear this up, I believe he got assigned to the team and is thus just fulfilling the terms of his contract. If that makes him a *******, then Alexi Yashin must be a saint.

Nope. He's on a one way NHL contract. The Lowell thing is just a time-occupier. A separate deal than the one with the Flames.

He's a Job Stealer! A JOB STEALER I tell you! LOL.

Last edited:

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
Nope. He's on a one way NHL contract. The Lowell thing is just a time-occupier. A separate deal than the one with the Flames.

He's a Job Stealer! A JOB STEALER I tell you! LOL.

Where do you go to find this stuff out? And doesn't a one-way contract simply mean that he recieves his full salary when playing in the AHL but the same rules apply to him as far as getting demoted or premoted as any player with a two-way contract? I'm very unfamilliar with how this works so if you could educate me that would be appreciated.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
yeah but the majority of nhl'ers are in Commodore's shoes .....So the chances are pretty good that more of them come out of the closet and speak up , therfore putting the heat on larry and his union reps .

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Sotnos said:
Seems like the lower-paid guys are figuring out that their union isn't looking out for their interests.

Does anyone know where you can find a list of ALL the NHLPA team reps? I know who the executive committee is and who the rep is for a few teams, but I can't find a list of all of them. Just curious.

I believe that McEachern is the Thrashers representative. Not 100% positive, but I think it's right.

If you're curious enough to get a solid answer, ask Holly G. She knows everything.

transplant99

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
Wait a minute...

Isn't Mike Commodore a bad guy for taking the food off the table of some poor, deserving Lowell Lock Monster? :joker:

Never mind he had no option other than reporting when his emplyoer optioned him there....I guess you MISSED this quote from him huh?

It's just not good for anybody. I'm down here in Lowell, and because I'm down here some other defenceman that would have been here, isn't going to be here."

Way to step in it once again Doh'boy lite.

Crossroads*

shakes said:
My beef isn't with revenue sharing, salary cap, luxury tax or whatever you want to call it, mine is with people who make absurd claims that "every player in the NHL should be happy to be playing a kids game making at minumal 10x the average salary of most work class people" and comments like this. This marginalizes the work and the effort that they do. To compare what it took for player to get to such an elite level to someone who works at GM, drives a cab or works in a big glass building in the city is quite frankly.. stupid. If it was so easy to "play a kids game" for a living then everyone would be doing it. This is why they make millions.

I blame both parties in this and quite frankly if they cancel this season they will have canceled my interest in this sport.

It is a GAME. It doesn't matter how hard it was for the players to get there. The bottom line is that it is a game and NO ONE should be payed millions to play a friggen game. My uncle busts his ass with his carpentry business (which he started when he was really young and it took quite a while for it to gain popularity for my uncle's outstanding work)- working from 9 AM to 8 PM on most days and just making over 100K a year. He works way harder than the average NHL player who makes 8 to 10 times more money than he does.

So don't say that someone who plays a GAME deserves 10 times more money than someone who works just as hard and who went through quite the struggle to get where he is now.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
CloudNine said:
It is a GAME. It doesn't matter how hard it was for the players to get there. The bottom line is that it is a game and NO ONE should be payed millions to play a friggen game. My uncle busts his ass with his carpentry business (which he started when he was really young and it took quite a while for it to gain popularity for my uncle's outstanding work)- working from 9 AM to 8 PM on most days and just making over 100K a year. He works way harder than the average NHL player who makes 8 to 10 times more money than he does.

So don't say that someone who plays a GAME deserves 10 times more money than someone who works just as hard and who went through quite the struggle to get where he is now.

Hey then maybe your uncle should have took a different path and become a professional athlete. After all, the kind of hard worker your uncle is he should be able to skate on the top line of any NHL franchise.

You really should get off this game label. There is a reason why people pay this kind of money to the players or executives in big business the salaries or end of year bonuses they get. Bottom line.. there aren't many people in the world who can do what they do at the level they do it at.

I'm sure your uncle is a great carpenter, but really, in this world, I'm absolutely certain that I could find thousands of carpenters to do an A-1 job for me. This game is a billion dollar enterprise, so please try a little harder to compare your uncle's 100k a year job to something a little more on scale to his business.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
Wait a minute...

Yup, but at least he has the balls to tell it like it is. If someone is playing in the minors or in Europe, at least have the guts to say " I dont mind playing under a cap", because obviously they dont mind.

At least we are seeing more players come out each day.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
shakes said:
This marginalizes the work and the effort that they do. To compare what it took for player to get to such an elite level to someone who works at GM, drives a cab or works in a big glass building in the city is quite frankly.. stupid. If it was so easy to "play a kids game" for a living then everyone would be doing it. This is why they make millions.
I dont think that is the issue. Ya, its hard to get to where they got. I've worked hard to get to where I am. We can find millions that have storys of sacrificies that have been made to make a living.

Like someone earlier who said the players risk life and limb. Sort of like the 13 minors killed in Russia this week? Thats risking life and limb to make a living.

The players have worked hard to get to the elite level, but is it really working hard if its something they love? So many people have worked hard to get to where they are in their life, so to state what you stated trivializes everyone else on the planet.

They are paid millions becasue of their talents. The hard work is secondary, becasue if the talent is there, the hard work is a little easier to take, since its something they love and theres a pretty big carrot at the end to motivate them.

Please note I never said they arent worth millions. I just think your reasoning for adulation is a little off. Praise their talents. Their hard work and dedication is not that far ahead from everyone on the planet, as you seem to state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad