Mike Commodore using some logic....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Bicycle Repairman said:
He wasn't optioned to Lowell. He went there of his own volution.

And your "quote" only reinforces my point.

Is he doing it for the $50,000 paycheque, or is he doing it because he is a fringe player who has zero job security and can't afford to be forgotten about?

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
dawgbone said:
Is he doing it for the $50,000 paycheque, or is he doing it because he is a fringe player who has zero job security and can't afford to be forgotten about?

I think it's a good thing he's doing it. Others have a problem with it. You'll have to query them.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Cawz said:
I dont think that is the issue. Ya, its hard to get to where they got. I've worked hard to get to where I am. We can find millions that have storys of sacrificies that have been made to make a living.

Like someone earlier who said the players risk life and limb. Sort of like the 13 minors killed in Russia this week? Thats risking life and limb to make a living.

The players have worked hard to get to the elite level, but is it really working hard if its something they love? So many people have worked hard to get to where they are in their life, so to state what you stated trivializes everyone else on the planet.

They are paid millions becasue of their talents. The hard work is secondary, becasue if the talent is there, the hard work is a little easier to take, since its something they love and theres a pretty big carrot at the end to motivate them.

Please note I never said they arent worth millions. I just think your reasoning for adulation is a little off. Praise their talents. Their hard work and dedication is not that far ahead from everyone on the planet, as you seem to state.

I'm not saying other professions aren't valued. IMO, pretty much every other profession out there is more important than being a professional athlete. Again, my beef is the people who are stuck on the "game" thing and give no credit to what it took to get them there. NHL calibre hockey players are rarities, and you pay premium dollar for rarities, not for carpenters, computer repairmen, mechanics etc. I guess it's just my pet peeve listening to people compare the pay they get working for some company to someone getting paid to play pro hockey.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
I think it's a good thing he's doing it. Others have a problem with it. You'll have to query them.
I think others have a problem with millionaire superstars doing it. Commodore may very well have been playing in Lowel if the NHL season was on anyways.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
Bicycle Repairman said:

There are guys who's careers don't depend on doing it... alot of the guys out in Europe don't fit that bill.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
shakes said:
I'm not saying other professions aren't valued. IMO, pretty much every other profession out there is more important than being a professional athlete. Again, my beef is the people who are stuck on the "game" thing and give no credit to what it took to get them there. NHL calibre hockey players are rarities, and you pay premium dollar for rarities, not for carpenters, computer repairmen, mechanics etc. I guess it's just my pet peeve listening to people compare the pay they get working for some company to someone getting paid to play pro hockey.
Ya, I guess some people are just frustrated. You cant compare the entertainment business to the real world. No-one is willing to drop $100 to watch me do anything dammit.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
Cawz said:
I think others have a problem with millionaire superstars doing it. Commodore may very well have been playing in Lowel if the NHL season was on anyways.

Are you sure? If he is indeed on a one-way contract, it'd be pretty bad economically if he were sent down there. He'd be making NHL money to play AHL hockey.

chara

Mar 31, 2004
More players have to speak out. If Goodenow won't listen or feeds them some 'keep the faith' union line, go to the media.

When each team has a majority of players in favour of a cap, each player rep has to bring that forward to Goodenow. If Goodenow doesn't listen, then good bye Mr.Goodenow.

A good portion of the NHLPA is made of guys like Commodore and if the union won't listen to them, the fans will and respect them for their guts to speak out. And to those players who threaten these gutsy guys, heed this warning: Fans will remember you.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
It really does seem that while Mr. Goodenow is doing a good job representing the point of view of the elite, like Mike Modano (who has a fabulous pet who it turns out is quite expensive to feed), he may not represent the masses. They say the meek shall inherit the earth, and there's a lot more Pothiers and Commodores and Dagenais in the NHLPA than Modanos. Watch out, Bob, the hoardes are gathering. :D

Off topic, but couldn't Commodore make more money doing commercials for McDonalds than playing in the "A"???? :help: :help: :help: :help:

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
There is a difference between the player saying " we've got to stick together here" and then heads off to the Alps or swims with lockmonsters, and the player who thinks this is complete ********* that caters to the top members of the union only. He wants a damn cap and does not mind saying it.He is playing in Lowell because his union is in denial about the direction this game is headed. You need only look at the ridiculous TV deal to see the dirty looking creek and lack of a paddle.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
There is a difference between the player saying " we've got to stick together here" and then heads off to the Alps or swims with lockmonsters, and the player who thinks this is complete ********* that caters to the top members of the union only. He wants a damn cap and does not mind saying it.He is playing in Lowell because his union is in denial about the direction this game is headed. You need only look at the ridiculous TV deal to see the dirty looking creek and lack of a paddle.
Oh I see. So there's "Good" Mercenaries and "Bad" Mercenaries.

I wish they had color coded hats or something they could hand out so everyone could keep things straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->