Mike Babcock "Hyman is the best forechecker in hockey."

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He's elite at protecting the puck and forechecking but his hands and playmaking ability are 4th line quality. If he could finish or pass the puck well he would be a star.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
is there a site that shows average zone time per shift?

i know its a team game but i would think someone in the top 10 in offensive zone time per shift would have this title.

from the eyeball test from last year's playoffs, i would say it would have to be a player from Anaheim or Nashville.

edit: also i know they get credit for everything so people like to credit board-battler grinders but crosby and macdavid probably rank near the top of this too.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Hyperbole from Babcock, but I think Hyman is getting fairly underestimated around the league. Its pretty difficult to maintain a sub-5% shooting percentage, so I don't think anyone should be surprised if ZH starts converting on a lot more chances this year and sees a spike in production. He is still young, new to the NHL, and playing with some pretty incredible linemates - I think he could really surprise some people.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I think, Babcock meant, that with Hyman on the ice you need to check just 4 players...
giphy.gif

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
So...Hyman is great at getting the puck from the corners, has a fantastic drive train, good player, love what he brings to the team, good guy.

Babcock, basically.
I get what he's saying. Hyman is the guy on that line that will dig for the puck and create energy for the line. For the Leafs, he's one of the better choices in that role.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I do agree he's one of the most tenacious forecheckers. It's a shame he doesn't know what to do with the puck when he gets it, though.
So much this. So good at getting the puck but once he gets it he either loses the puck or kills the play with a cheap shot or intercepted pass to Matthews/Nylander.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Leaf fans can rest easy now, Hyman will be riding AM wing for a significant chunk of the year.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It’s a cap league. If the Leafs are going to challenge for the cup they are going to need cap friendly guys like this to make solid contributions. If the coach pumps the tires a bit in hopes of giving a vote of confidence that’s smart.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Great at pk, great without the puck on his stick and great at forechecking the defense, until it comes to getting the puck. Should be playing no where near Matthews

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
He's elite at getting in on the forecheck, but he's not real great at puck retrieval, or board battles. He gets pushed around and off balance quite a lot.

When he does come out on the winning end of a puck retrieval, it's like he just recovered a grenade, and the pins already been pulled.

Reactions: hotpaws

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
He's elite at protecting the puck and forechecking but his hands and playmaking ability are 4th line quality. If he could finish or pass the puck well he would be a star.

He’s not elite at protecting the puck though. He’s very good to great at pretty much every aspect except for having the puck in his possession/trying to pass the puck

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Can't say I disagree, I've said it before, if Hyman had any offensive talent he would be a highly sought after player.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
He's an excellent fore-checker no question about it, and wins a large share of his board battles also. I hope his hands on the offensive side of the puck catches up with this part of his game. Very underappreciated IMO.
Pretty sure he has average results on winning board battles. Babcock just likes to see effort over results.
Oh man Leafs are gonna overpay him so badly.
2.25 for 4 years. Could be worse.
Yes. Perfect match for Matthews. Like Kunitz with Crosby, Hyman might play the majority of his career with Matthews.
Perfect if you're a Laine fan. :P

Reactions: hotpaws

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad