Mikael Backlund vs. Nazem Kadri

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Backlund.

He's good on the power play just like Kadri (16 and 17 PP points respectively for both last year, with both anchoring their team's 2nd unit which isn't easy).

He's better than Kadri at 5v5. Kadri might putting up better counting stats but when it comes to goal differentials, Backlund has been one of the best goal differential drivers at 5v5 for the last four years, whether that's raw numbers or relative to his teammates, Backlund is a goal differential driving monster. Would you rather have a guy who gives you 30 points and gives up 15 goals or a guy who gives you 35 points and gives up 35 goals?

He's a better PKer than Kadri too, being elite in the NHL in that category while Kadri doesn't even PK. Even if Kadri did PK, he'd have a lot to prove to be on Backlund's tier.

I do give Kadri the blatant edge in individual shot generation arsenal. He reminds me of prime Spezza with how he always manages to make something out of nothing with a flashy, slick move.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I am not sure why a few of you are referencing and comparing entire careers here. Backlund has really blossomed into an elite puck possession and defensive center over the past two seasons specifically, while Kadri was quicker to assert himself into the lineup in a scoring role. Comparing their entire careers does a disservice to the player Backlund has worked to become (i am not saying Kadri hasn't improved either, but not to the same degree)

I don't really buy the notion that Kadri is the better offensive producer at the moment either considering he gets significantly more even strength time and PP time (not this past season in terms of PP time) due to the fact that Nazem doesn't kill penalties.

Over the past two seasons Kadri averaged two more minutes and one more minute a night respectively at even strength and a minute more per night on the PP in 15/16'. Despite this Kadri has only outproduced Backlund by a mere 6 points in that time frame.

Both are tremendous talents and it's for sure a good discussion to have, but Backlund is currently the better player in my estimation. I will take the guy who is relied upon tremendously by his coach and teammates in all situations.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
So the guy who's been on pace for more points and less reliant on special team for points than both Backlund and Kadri for their entire career and takes the hard matchups for the Jets (Scheifele was allowed to be sheltered thanks to Little) is way behind? Come on this is even worse than your underration of Giordano.

I don't underrate gio anymore, ponyboy gold convinced me

little is an insanely overrated player at this point IMO. he can barely stays healthy and is helped in his offensive numbers a lot by blake wheeler. he's a top-45 center easily but not top-25 or so like kadri and backlund.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
This is so close that it's pretty much a preference vote. I voted Kadri just because I like his style and it adds something important to the Leafs lineup that would be sorely missed if he was gone.

Reactions: MaKarter

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
For people saying that the difference in offense is small, you have to compare linemates. Tkachuk alone as a rookie is a better linemate than Kadri has ever had. Kadri has consistently had to carry wingers who are below him in talent level, outside of short stints with JVR and Kessel, and a very brief period of time where Lupul was actually healthy. This year, despite him having the hardest minutes of his career, he produced a career high because the team overall was a lot more talented with lots of depth and he had great PP linemates to work with for once.

Backlund is the better 2-way player but I think Kadri has more inherent skill along with an agitation quality that Backlund doesn't have.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I don't really buy the notion that Kadri is the better offensive producer at the moment either considering he gets significantly more even strength time and PP time (not this past season in terms of PP time) due to the fact that Nazem doesn't kill penalties.

Over the past two seasons Kadri averaged two more minutes and one more minute a night respectively at even strength and a minute more per night on the PP in 15/16'. Despite this Kadri has only outproduced Backlund by a mere 6 points in that time frame.

Well you are including Kadri's unlucky oish% 15/16 year in your time frame. So that mere 6 point lead in that time frame should be higher if it wasn't for that unlucky 1st half in 15/16.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad