Mikael Backlund vs. Nazem Kadri

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Tough choice. I think Backlund is a better two way player (opinion) but Kadri is pesty as hell. For me it largely depends on what Backlund's contract will be.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Backlund is the Flames' most valuable forward and a better two-way player than Kadri (finished 4th in Selke voting last year), so I'm going with him.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Pardon me?

You heard me.

Right now, the Flames' most valuable forward is Mikael Backlund. He was consistently phenomenal the whole season, elevating everybody he played with. He was the driver of one of the top-2 lines in hockey, along with Bergeron's in Boston. While both Gaudreau and Monahan were frustratingly inconsistent throughout the season, Backlund was always fantastic and the backbone of the Flames' forward group.

I'm not saying valuable as in "who would return the most in a trade" -- I'm saying, who contributed the most to the Flames' success last year. It was Backlund, rather easily.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Flip a coin. Backlund is one of the most underrated players in the western conference, and I think these two are very comparable players. I'll take Kadri because he's a rat, but it's close regardless.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
2yrs

Back (28): 163gms, 17:01, 43gls/100pts (22gls/50pts), 53.7cf%/+5.8rel, 42.0ozs%, 47.7fo%
Kadri (27): 158gms, 17:24, 49gls/106pts (25gls/55pts), 52.6cf%/+2.0rel, 44.2ozs%, 48.6fo%

Damn that's tight.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Kadri is better and younger, so him pretty easily.

He is one year younger and Backlund has consistently done well with super difficult zone starts and competition. I'll give Kadri credit that he was better overall this season but a lot of had to do with power play scoring. Kadri constantly has a negative impact on his team's relative goals allowed and goals for percentage. Backlund on the other hand constantly has a positive effect, and don't get me started on the "Oh but Kadri takes a lot of difficult matchups." Backlund takes even more and more Dzone starts, and yet still performs better. Kadri also plays a style that ages worse, so him pretty easily is just homerist bias.

Backlund has proven more and has proven he can be a defensive relied center, Kadri has only proven that in one season and in this season whenever he was on the ice his team got outscored a lot more and he barely scores more to make up for it, not the case for Backlund ever.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Aside from perhaps the hitting game, Backlund is one of the most well-rounded forwards in the NHL.

Constantly gets the hardest matchups.

Constantly makes everyone around him better.

Wish he would play on a contending team.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Close poll. Kadri better offensively, but Backlund better defensively. Wouldn't be wrong with either choice here.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I prefer Kadri here, but it's super close. I just love his compete level and that kind of pest nature is what'll get him killed but also draw so much attention from opposing teams in the playoffs.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Close poll. Kadri better offensively, but Backlund better defensively. Wouldn't be wrong with either choice here.

My thoughts exactly. Kadri plays with more of an edge, and better offensively. Backlund is a smarter player, better defensively.

Personally, I'd prefer Kadri. The thought of a Tkachuk - Kadri - Frolik/Ferland line does things to me that if I said it, I'd get an infraction.

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I actually don't get the age argument. Kadri is one year younger than Backlund but plays a style that usually ages worse (And yes I know Kadri isn't a pure crash and bang player, but nevertheless Backlund relies more on finesse and smarts and less on physica play and extreme skill).

For next season only I wouldn't be against choosing Kadri, but in going forward multiple years those who chose Backlund have a lot of valid reasons.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Easily Backlund, elite defensive 2C.

Kadri is the better offensive player but defensively he can't hold Backlund's jockstrap.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Backlund is better away from the puck, but Kadri is significantly ahead offensively.

19g/30pts more in 53 less games for naz

I take the 30g/60pt C here

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I actually don't get the age argument. Kadri is one year younger than Backlund but plays a style that usually ages worse (And yes I know Kadri isn't a pure crash and bang player, but nevertheless Backlund relies more on finesse and smarts and less on physica play and extreme skill).

For next season only I wouldn't be against choosing Kadri, but in going forward multiple years those who chose Backlund have a lot of valid reasons.

He is closer to 2 years than 1. drafted 2 years apart, so there is that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad