Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad [Warning Post #3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
So go change your name to OTT and watch the Sens then if you like him so much.

He's no longer a part of the team and does not need to be discussed. This is a thread about Zibanejad not a thread about Brassard.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Brassard...All day long and on Easter Sunday!

Brassard is a better musician than Zibanejad and a better passer. But considering current situation, age, cap hit, RFA years etc, I will pick Zibanejad.

And I was the biggest Brassard fan here while he was here. I have a game-used stick of him on my wall. I love that kid. But long-term, Zibanejad is the better player. Number-wise, he is the better player now already

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

He's no longer a part of the team and does not need to be discussed. This is a thread about Zibanejad not a thread about Brassard.

It was about Zib until you changed it to Ott but good job. You make a ton of sense...Pffttt!

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Playoffs
Player A : 2 points in 2 playoff games.
Player B: 0 points in 3 playoff games.

Which player do you prefer?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Playoffs
Player A : 2 points in 2 playoff games.
Player B: 0 points in 3 playoff games.

Which player do you prefer?

Player A

But it's also an incredibly small sample size, soooooooooooooooooo...no answer is really correct here.

Ragnarok14

Nov 25, 2011
Deutschland
Really becoming my most hated Ranger . The guy has ZERO compete, and is baby crap soft... I'm going to be pissed when we inevitably sign this upper decker to a long term deal.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I'm dissapointed in this guy, I thought he would be a really good fit on this team. But his hockey sense seems to be lacking and his hands aren't that great.

Ragnarok14

Nov 25, 2011
Deutschland
Only reason I like the trade is the draft pick and Zibanejad's age, not his play.

I'm so sick of hearing about the age difference making the trade good. Brassard isn't 35, and at least plays with fire unlike Mika. I can't even count how many fly bys and soft plays he has made this playoffs, made even more frustrating by the knowledge that Brass would be hustling in his place.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I really question Gorton's ability to target the right players. Staal, Zibanejad, Holden. Apparently he also had a big role in our acquisition of Etem. Not a great start to his tenure as GM.

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
Player A: 37 points in 56 games
Player B: 39 points in 81 games

Which one do you prefer?

Player A. Invisible in playoffs. Was he even AT MSG tonight?
Player B. Clutch performer against tough teams. Had a clutch (but easy) GTG yesterday.

Which one do you prefer?

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013

Ok. Where was Zibanejad tonight because he certainly wasn't at MSG?

i would scratch him for Buch and split up the bobsey twins. Miller can center 2d and Hayes center 3rd.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Zib hasn't been good but Oscar is the only center that showed up for us in the first 3 games.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
People calling the Brassard trade a fail are too short-sighted. Zibanejad is 23. Brassad is 29

Brassard was 25 when he was traded to the Rangers. 26 when he first saw playoff hockey.

Zibanejad had 2 less points in about 25 less games in the regular season this year (even with a broken leg).

Zibanejad is a right-handed shooting center.

Zibanejad should have more years of control than Brassard.

The Rangers also received a 2nd rounder in the deal.

This is what you get when you trade for a less experienced younger player. The ups and downs are more pronounced in general. It's why coaches consistently play the older more experienced players in the playoffs and down the stretch. There is something to be said for knowing what you are going to get every night.

In saying that, the Rangers made the conscious decision to help develop Mika as a Ranger and they knew there would be ups and downs, like there are with pretty much every player not named McDavid or Matthews.

None of the above changes because he has looked bad in the first 3 games of the playoffs in games where the team has also, for the majority of the time, looked disjointed.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes I agree, we need to have some patience with him, but I would like to see a different line tomorrow.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
He has been flat out pathetic. Corpse like. I dont think this guy has pulse. No heart. At least Brass cared. This guy looks like a passenger in coach. Just along for the ride.

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
People calling the Brassard trade a fail are too short-sighted. Zibanejad is 23. Brassad is 29

Brassard was 25 when he was traded to the Rangers. 26 when he first saw playoff hockey.

Zibanejad had 2 less points in about 25 less games in the regular season this year (even with a broken leg).

This is what you get when you trade for a less experienced younger player. The ups and downs are more pronounced in general. It's why coaches consistently play the older more experienced players in the playoffs and down the stretch. There is something to be said for knowing what you are going to get every night.

In saying that, the Rangers made the conscious decision to help develop Mika as a Ranger and they knew there would be ups and downs, like there are with pretty much every player not named McDavid or Matthews.

None of the above changes because he has looked bad in the first 3 games of the playoffs in games where the team has also, for the majority of the time, looked disjointed.

Thank you for this post! Dead on! :handclap:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

I agree with all of this. Hopefully, Z's upside is realized.

I guess the question you have to ask is was the timing right and how much does it cost us in this year's playoffs and my answer to that is: not much - because the rest of the team isn't showing all that much either. I love Brassard and what he brings but it wouldn't have saved this team. The entire team, aside from your HOF goalie, needs to elevate and reevaluate its passion. Starting tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad