Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad [Warning Post #3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
I was unimpressed with Zibanejad as a Sen. He always left you wanting more. He was inconsistent and never drove play. It's not a surprise that he hasn't changed in a single season. But I wasn't a fan of the trade anyway, and the Rangers didn't acquire him to lead the team in the playoffs this season. They got him because he's younger, and they got a pick out of it too. No matter what Zibanejad does this season, the Rangers won the trade from their own point of view. They got what they wanted, and a chance at more. It's too early to give up on Zibby, and I think having guys like Kreider and Miller around him is exactly what he needs.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Really down on Zib. I thought that he started showing signs of being an assertive player after a few weeks back from the injury but after watching 3 games of his pedestrian play in the playoffs i am not too excited about having him as our #1 or 2 center going forward. He doesnt do anything. Doesnt attack, just kinda floats around and tries to find open space. It looks like a lazy game but i feel like he doesnt want to make a mistake defensively and get caught or something. Whatever the case, he sucks right now.

I want gamers who rise to the occasion, especially those in such critical positions who drive the team. I wasnt overly impressed with Smiths game but he is a completely different guy in the playoffs. I have been very impressed with him which is the complete opposite of Zib.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Really down on Zib. I thought that he started showing signs of being an assertive player after a few weeks back from the injury but after watching 3 games of his pedestrian play in the playoffs i am not too excited about having him as our #1 or 2 center going forward. He doesnt do anything. Doesnt attack, just kinda floats around and tries to find open space. It looks like a lazy game but i feel like he doesnt want to make a mistake defensively and get caught or something. Whatever the case, he sucks right now.

I want gamers who rise to the occasion, especially those in such critical positions who drive the team. I wasnt overly impressed with Smiths game but he is a completely different guy in the playoffs. I have been very impressed with him which is the complete opposite of Zib.

Aside from Smith, Vesey, and Lundqvist..who has really elevated their games? Nobody.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Sens fan here chiming in.

Have the Rangers tried playing him on the wing? I get the feeling that he's simply not smart enough, or has enough focus, to play center. That type of play to me seems like he's tentative and lacking confidence to fulfill that role. I feel like if he would be put on the wing, he'd have more confidence to do his thing. No doubt he's a big, fast talented player. I just think he's out of his element playing center, which is one of the most mentally demanding positions in hockey (besides goaltending).

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Sens fan here chiming in.

Have the Rangers tried playing him on the wing? I get the feeling that he's simply not smart enough, or has enough focus, to play center. That type of play to me seems like he's tentative and lacking confidence to fulfill that role. I feel like if he would be put on the wing, he'd have more confidence to do his thing. No doubt he's a big, fast talented player. I just think he's out of his element playing center, which is one of the most mentally demanding positions in hockey (besides goaltending).

He's disengaged emotionally. That's what he's been in NY. Wing suits him, except he can't hit the net.

It's like watching that scrub from the mighty ducks movie over and over again.

It's like he's some sort of pacifist that doesn't want to bruise the goalie on his shots.

Lazy and cavalier.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
We don't really have the option to put him at wing. If he is better at wing that's an issue that Gorton needs to address

I mean it's worth a shot to try him at wing and then if that's successful you move Nash for a center...

Top 6 wingers become:

Miller
Zuccarello
Zibanejad
Kreider

All young and functional. You have Vesey and a reclamation project on the 3rd line, that's OK.

Ragnarok14

Nov 25, 2011
Deutschland
He's disengaged emotionally. That's what he's been in NY. Wing suits him, except he can't hit the net.

It's like watching that scrub from the mighty ducks movie over and over again.

It's like he's some sort of pacifist that doesn't want to bruise the goalie on his shots.

Lazy and cavalier.

Pretty much spot on. The guy looks like he is a million miles away in his head... My least favorite Ranger on this team. The lack of effort is disturbing, and all his potential means squat when he plays like he has been.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
He screwed up the line chemistry so bad that despite Lundqvist having his worst year the team won two more games than last year. Makes TOTAL sense.
You must have forgotten the Rangers' passionate 2015-16 season and their subsequent dominant playoff run.

How is his production down exactly? He has the highest points/60 of his career so far this season. This is true for both even strength and on the powerplay.
They same way that he hasn't helped the PP even though this is the best PP% the Rangers have had post-lockout.

Last edited:

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Pretty much spot on. The guy looks like he is a million miles away in his head... My least favorite Ranger on this team. The lack of effort is disturbing, and all his potential means squat when he plays like he has been.

Also agree. See his face on the bench and he has that blank look. Kind of want to think his tentativeness is from his leg injury. He seems 100% physically but mentally it takes time to get that confidence back.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
This guy has such great tools it's a shame he's lazy. His shot is a rocket but he can't hit the net, the dude is huge, and he is fast. I've said this before if he had Stepans IQ he would be Lemieux. (Joke obviously.)

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Zbad can't play on the rush and even when he sets up on the power play he never hits the damn net! Hoping he can find it tonight along wth Step, Kreider, and Hayes

theres at least a handful of plays hes made that the guys just havent finished. Just like people calling out Zucc last game...he wasnt great, but if Kreider finished that GORGEOUS pass he made....

EDIT...with that said, he was putrid in game 3...but I cant name more than a handful of guys who werent.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Wonder if he plans on playing at all this playoffs? The guy flat out sucks

There may be a bet among forwards on who can be the most underwhelming. Zib has some serious competition on that front, from what I see. peas in a pod as they say.
Edit: And then, and then 2nd period of Game 4 happened right after my missive.

Last edited:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Zibby was better tonight but hope he still has more to give.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad