Confirmed with Link: Mika Zibanejad Re-Signed 2 Years: AAV 2.6M

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I think best part of Zibby and Stone signing is that it sets a narrow window for Hoffman to negotiate in.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I think best part of Zibby and Stone signing is that it sets a narrow window for Hoffman to negotiate in.

Has the goals to ask for 3.5mil AAV Stone got, but not the defensive play to back it up. Puts him in the 2.5-3mil AAV range at a 3 year contract.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
3 years at 2.75 seems fair.

Bury Greening in the AHL/trade one of Greening/Neil/Phillips/Cowen/Legwand/Lehner/Anderson and we'll have enough room to sign Chiasson+Condra with emergency relief (although we have so many bodies I doubt we'll have any need to call up someone).

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Great deal for Mika. He's gonna make it look like an absolute steal in that 2nd year (and than cash in the following summer, but I have no issue paying guys who earn it).

KingK

Jan 14, 2014
If we are going to compare Hockey Players salaries to Doctors then we might as well just come to the realization that when it comes to value of the job they (Hockey players) are WAY overpaid no matter who the player is.

No hockey players are actually paid properly in relation to revenue and profit from the company they work for.. its all the other jobs the CHUMPS LIKE US work at.. that are underpaid my friend

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Greening was getting paid for UFA years though... When he was still on RFA years, he got paid 816 666$ a year. Let's not forget that he came in the NHL older than most.

He was actually underpaid or way underpaid in his first 4 seasons.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/player_stats/1517-greening-colin

850 000$ (pro-rated on the number games played in his rookie season) and then 816 666$ for 3 years

Also found this on Greening

http://thehockeywriters.com/why-the-vocal-outcry-against-colin-greening-amongst-sens-fans/

Sucks that I have to defend the Sens player I have disliked the most in the last few years, but the hate around here is always so irrational that we have bring a little dose of reality

Greening's career high is 37 points in 2011-12.....and that was playing with Spezza. Saying he was ever underpaid is not reality.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Greening's career high is 37 points in 2011-12.....and that was playing with Spezza. Saying he was ever underpaid is not reality.

0.40 to 0.54 PPG in your first 3 seasons (153 games) for a salary between 816 666$ and 850 000$ is not underpaid? It's a pretty good output per cost if you ask me

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Good bridge deal.

Hopefully he continues to improve and earns himself a good pay cheque at the end of this contract.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Zibanejad gets 2 years $2.625 M per. While the less successful in the NHL so far same draft year, same pedigree players Larsson gets 4.167 for 6 years. Courtier gets 4.333 for 6 years.

So if Zibanejad gets 5.6/5.7 per in his next deal we come out ahead overall.

I was an advocate of signing Stone long term and possibly Zibby. But both were better them Courtier or Larsson so far in the NHL and both Sens had bigger roles on an actual playoff team and both signed seemingly steal deals for Ottawa.

I saw kudos to Murray and the Sens management. We got better deals for our players and are not taking on risk.

Seems we learned from the Cowen contract. Perhaps Zibby and Stone were just eager to sign and not hard negotiators?

Either way Ottawa looks great here I think.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Still trying to figure out how Murray managed to sign a two-way, at least 40pt forward for only 2.6 mil.

Because it was only 2 years. If it were a long term contract it would be at least the same as Couturiers.

Taking the more money now approach which Couturier did is guaranteed money.

Zib has guaranteed money for 2 years, though not as much as Couturier. Difference being Zib is able to negotiate what will in all likelihood be a long term contract, at at least 5.5 +.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I would guess the agents know a lot of money is coming off the books in 2 years, so they're aiming for a new deal when the team has the cash to give a big contract (in theory).

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Because it was only 2 years. If it were a long term contract it would be at least the same as Couturiers.

Taking the more money now approach which Couturier did is guaranteed money.

Zib has guaranteed money for 2 years, though not as much as Couturier. Difference being Zib is able to negotiate what will in all likelihood be a long term contract, at at least 5.5 +.

Regardless though, Zib coulda still got 3.5+ even if it was just 2 years. What a steal.

Plus, this will encourage Zib to continue getting better to earn that bigger contract which will help to push him to become a better player by then too. Win-win.

Zibanejad has enormous, potential, imo. Kesler in his prime. Which is near top 10 C in the game, imo.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Zibanejad gets 2 years $2.625 M per. While the less successful in the NHL so far same draft year, same pedigree players Larsson gets 4.167 for 6 years. Courtier gets 4.333 for 6 years.

So if Zibanejad gets 5.6/5.7 per in his next deal we come out ahead overall.

I was an advocate of signing Stone long term and possibly Zibby. But both were better them Courtier or Larsson so far in the NHL and both Sens had bigger roles on an actual playoff team and both signed seemingly steal deals for Ottawa.

I saw kudos to Murray and the Sens management. We got better deals for our players and are not taking on risk.

Seems we learned from the Cowen contract. Perhaps Zibby and Stone were just eager to sign and not hard negotiators?

Either way Ottawa looks great here I think.

It's like Stone and Zibanejad know it will pay off down the road so they are not going for the moon right away, like if they have more faith and confidence in themselves. Cowen and Chiasson on the other hand are trying to get the most dollars possible right away (in case of injury and their career is done?), instead of doing like Pageau, Stone and Zibanejad and don't waste too much time and energy on contracts negotiation and instead concentrate on hockey. Not everyone has the same relation with money, it looks like O'Reilly for example is a guy that really likes money and will try to squeeze every dollar possible out of any contract.

Last edited:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Ahh still remember some of the "reputable" HF poster putting him in a tier with Greening, Smith, and Cowen in the trade boards at the seasons start.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
ROR combines both approaches, want more now, but knows he'll get more later, and gets more later

ROR is no fool; neither are his agent and advisors. He has done what needed to be done to get paid fairly for his services and productivity and performance under the NHL-NHLPA agreement. He has got the jam! Good for him.

I remember the days when the NHL owners totally hosed the players, including the greatest players in the game back then (Gordie Howe included). The WHA broke that owner monopoly and the new leadership of the NHLPA used their powers to get fairer payments for their members! Bravo!

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
what a jok. $2.5million+ for a guy that hasn't even put up 50 pts. that's like 8X what my doctor makes and he's SAVING LIVES.

How many lives has your doctor saved. How many people have been entertained by zibanejad.

Supply and demand my friend. Not very complicated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad