Confirmed with Link: Mika Zibanejad Re-Signed 2 Years: AAV 2.6M

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Good deal.

Similar to what Greening is getting but far better player. Now to get Stone and Hoff signed before offer sheets are allowed.

Greening was getting paid for UFA years though... When he was still on RFA years, he got paid 816 666$ a year. Let's not forget that he came in the NHL older than most.

Except Greening was overpaid from the start?

He was actually underpaid or way underpaid in his first 4 seasons.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/player_stats/1517-greening-colin

850 000$ (pro-rated on the number games played in his rookie season) and then 816 666$ for 3 years

Also found this on Greening

http://thehockeywriters.com/why-the-vocal-outcry-against-colin-greening-amongst-sens-fans/

Sucks that I have to defend the Sens player I have disliked the most in the last few years, but the hate around here is always so irrational that we have bring a little dose of reality

WhiteLight*

Greening was getting paid for UFA years though... When he was still on RFA years, he got paid 816 666$ a year. Let's not forget that he came in the NHL older than most.

850 000$ (pro-rated on the number games played in his rookie season) and then 816 666$ for 3 years

http://thehockeywriters.com/why-the-vocal-outcry-against-colin-greening-amongst-sens-fans/

Sucks that I have to defend the Sens player I have disliked the most in the last few years, but the hate around here is always so irrational that we have bring a little dose of reality

Just because you are underpaid the first few years of your career, it doesn't give you the right to be overpaid after that. The Senators are not a charity.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Good read.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
what a jok. $2.5million+ for a guy that hasn't even put up 50 pts. that's like 8X what my doctor makes and he's SAVING LIVES.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
what a jok. $2.5million+ for a guy that hasn't even put up 50 pts. that's like 8X what my doctor makes and he's SAVING LIVES.

If we are going to compare Hockey Players salaries to Doctors then we might as well just come to the realization that when it comes to value of the job they (Hockey players) are WAY overpaid no matter who the player is.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
so all he needs to do is have back to back 30 goal seasons, and boom he is knocking on the doors of 6-7 million dollar contract

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
so all he needs to do is have back to back 30 goal seasons, and boom he is knocking on the doors of 6-7 million dollar contract

If the kid scores back to back 30's, he's going to make north of 30 million dollars.

I doubt he does this, but the opportunity is there.

IMO he won't reach his potential until after his 2 year contract. When he's around 25. He's always been a raw talent who needed to grow into his body, so he's a number of years behind a Bobby Ryan-type development curve. Which is fine, because then we can lock him in long term after this contract for 'not insane' money.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Perfect term and cap hit. A true show-me contract for a player who already looks comfortable in the top 6 and is trending upwards. I like that this deal will be up with still more time for Mika to develop and improve as a player. Sets us up well for a longer term contract that will hopefully not break the bank.

Ttracer*

If we are going to compare Hockey Players salaries to Doctors then we might as well just come to the realization that when it comes to value of the job they (Hockey players) are WAY overpaid no matter who the player is.

Give me a freakin break if anything pro athletes are underpaid. You know how much money these teams make?? Who should see that money the ownership or players?

I don't understand why Ottawa loves Swedes so much, maybe they just kept Mika around for Karlsson's sake. WE all know Lehner is on the way out. Zibanejad plays like a giant weakling, hopefully he can toughen up and earn this big contract

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Just because you are underpaid the first few years of your career, it doesn't give you the right to be overpaid after that. The Senators are not a charity.

Greening was on RFA years and performed really well for 80% of his first 4 seasons. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to live up to the expectations built on his first 3 years, which was how his UFA contract was structured from.

Simple as that. Some players have very short shell life. Greening lost his role to better younger players and wasn't able to produce enough to justify his contract then, but metrics shown he was still doing a fine job on the 4th line, which was all he could get. Good news, many better forwards arrived on the Sens from when he began his career.

Overall, for 7 years contract, Greening made 1.58 per season. This is far from disastrous. Only real problem is what to do with the last 2 years of his contract? He could be fine as a 4th liner on a deep forward group, but too expensive and people are going to complain non-stop. Might as well move him.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
This thread is quickly becoming the lockout thread from two years ago all over again.

Great deal for both sides. Fair value for how he's performing right now and it will give him enough time to showcase that he's the real deal for a raise in another two years.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Greening was on RFA years and performed really well for 80% of his first 4 seasons. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to live up to the expectations built on his first 3 years, which was how his UFA contract was structured from.

Simple as that. Some players have very short shell life. Greening lost his role to better younger players and wasn't able to produce enough to justify his contract then, but metrics shown he was still doing a fine job on the 4th line, which was all he could get. Good news, many better forwards arrived on the Sens from when he began his career.

Overall, for 7 years contract, Greening made 1.58 per season. This is far from disastrous. Only real problem is what to do with the last 2 years of his contract? He could be fine as a 4th liner on a deep forward group, but too expensive and people are going to complain non-stop. Might as well move him.

Greening got the contract he did because he was Spezza's winger. Lets not kid ourselfs here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad