Injury Report: Mika Zibanejad out with concussion

member 116805

Often with concussions no physical activity is recommended during the recovery period. Getting your blood pumping etc. could trigger symptoms and slow recovery. Him skating is a great sign
Exactly, the head acke you get is excruciating. I guess I should have added the word "severe" to concussion.

I have had several, the last one left me with post concussion symptoms for about 3 months.
Every time I got my pulse up, it felt like someone stuck a knife in my brain.
Needless to say that wife was not happy, lol

Reactions: lucky13 and Krams

member 116805

Thats just simply not true. It depends on the severity and the symptoms vary wildly. If what you said was true, how did Zibanejad take pre-game warm ups a week ago? How is he skating now?
How do you think he noticed something was not right? There are variation of course, but a concussion will absolutely let you know if you are physically active

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Detailed analysis on Zibanejad's time as a Ranger thus far would be great :) Strengths, weaknesses, injuries, history, projection, what types of players he works best with, what kind of C / wings would best complement him, etc. Thanks

Strengths: Skating, size, puck skills, hands, shot, FO's, defense

Weaknesses: Too often he shoots bad quality shots instead of making a pass he should, hockey IQ is iffy

He's best at scoring goals, so he needs to play with guys who can get him the puck. He's part of the team's best line with Kreider and Buchnevich. Kreider's a really good puck retriever and he's among the best in the league in front of the net, thats his role on the line, although he can also chip in with creating scoring chances. Usually Zibanejad and Buchnevich do the playmaking, and they do work pretty well together. Zibanejad is slightly more of a shooter, Buchnevich slightly more of a playmaker, but they can both do either the playmaking or goal scoring. Another reason why the line is so good is that all three are big and good skaters, they are hard to move off the puck, along with being a really skilled line, so they generate excellent possession numbers.

He's had two injuries now, which has slowed him down some. He could be a 1C, I wouldn't say a top 10 center, but maybe 10-20 range in the league, depending on what he shows the next few years.

Last edited:

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Strengths: Skating, size, puck skills, hands, shot, FO's, defense

Weaknesses: Too often he shoots bad quality shots instead of making a pass he should, hockey IQ is iffy

He's best at scoring goals, so he needs to play with guys who can get him the puck. He's part of the team's best line with Kreider and Buchnevich. Kreider's a really good puck retriever and he's among the best in the league in front of the net, thats his role on the line, although he can also chip in with creating scoring chances. Usually Zibanejad and Buchnevich do the playmaking, and they do work pretty well together. Zibanejad is slightly more of a shooter, Buchnevich slightly more of a playmaker, but they can both do either the playmaking or goal scoring. Another reason why the line is so good is that all three are big and good skaters, they are hard to move off the puck, along with being a really skilled line, so they generate excellent possession numbers.

He's had two injuries now, which has slowed him down some. He could be a 1C, I wouldn't say a top 10 center, but maybe 10-20 range in the league, depending on what he shows the next few years.

Right on! Thank you. Just acquired him in a dynasty league for a king's ransom, needless to say I'll be watching more Ranger games.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Right on! Thank you. Just acquired him in a dynasty league for a king's ransom, needless to say I'll be watching more Ranger games.
He honestly doesn't have many weaknesses, he's a very prototypical #1 center. As the poster above said, he's pretty much good at everything. His consistency was also the problem but developed beyond that in New York.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, my only questions with Zibanejad are his passing decisions and the injuries. His passing is fine, but he's not going to be a 50 assist guy because he shoots too much when he gets in positions to shoot or pass on what will be high percentage chances. His passing decisions are probably the biggest problem with his on-ice game. He's not a bad passer, he can make the passes he needs to, its the decision making. He's definitely shoot-first, and leads to some ill-advised shots that most without his shot would pass up to another player. Then again, he also puts more pucks in the net than most centers, so its not really a problem, given it all balances out. His passing decisions could be better though, and why I'd say his hockey IQ is iffy. Its iffy for a 1C, its fine for most players, but he takes some shots that are ill-advised and result in a save that some of the highest hockey IQ players in the league like McDavid or Crosby would recognize that he has a wide open teammate, and it would be a tap in. He's "fine" in this area, just not elite, but I guess if we are to judge him as a 1C, its important to have elite hockey IQ.

Injuries, its unfortunate, but he's now been injured two seasons in a row. He really struggled after the injury last season when he returned.

Brilliant hockey player though, he's been our best player so far this season.

Reactions: brhymes19

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I'll take his ill advised shots any day over another pass first player on this roster.
Totally. Some of those "ill advised" shots hit net.
We could use another "shot first"player, but im okay with our team for now. Believe it or not......i dont think this is just a hot streak thats unprecedented for Jesper and would love to see him on PP till Mika gets back. He is finding his offensive game through his great defensive efforts.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Yeah, my only questions with Zibanejad are his passing decisions and the injuries. His passing is fine, but he's not going to be a 50 assist guy because he shoots too much when he gets in positions to shoot or pass on what will be high percentage chances. His passing decisions are probably the biggest problem with his on-ice game. He's not a bad passer, he can make the passes he needs to, its the decision making. He's definitely shoot-first, and leads to some ill-advised shots that most without his shot would pass up to another player. Then again, he also puts more pucks in the net than most centers, so its not really a problem, given it all balances out. His passing decisions could be better though, and why I'd say his hockey IQ is iffy. Its iffy for a 1C, its fine for most players, but he takes some shots that are ill-advised and result in a save that some of the highest hockey IQ players in the league like McDavid or Crosby would recognize that he has a wide open teammate, and it would be a tap in. He's "fine" in this area, just not elite, but I guess if we are to judge him as a 1C, its important to have elite hockey IQ.

Injuries, its unfortunate, but he's now been injured two seasons in a row. He really struggled after the injury last season when he returned.

Brilliant hockey player though, he's been our best player so far this season.
Not in the same mechanics, but Zib reminds me of the same style of Jeff Carter and how he approaches the game - not a bad thing

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
It's likely more of a paperwork thing rather than a setback. They may be calling someone up and need the roster spot.

This is what I suspect... It might even be retroactively done in order to allow an instant call up

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
How any games has he been out now?

I believe this was his second concussion. Wonder what happens if he gets one more..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad