Mika 'DJ Z-Bad' Zibanejad, Part 3: Electric Boogaloo Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
This is one of the couple of ways that young players become stars. There really is nothing for it but to watch. I could be a hot streak and that would be normal, or he could be on his way to his potential ceiling now that he has some experience with the NA game and 'gets it'. This would be normal as well for a player who is destined to develop into a star.

Rarely do guys walk in as rookies and become stars right away, rarely happens. Guys fumble and learn and then break out. This is Zib's break out. This is what I and everyone else is hoping for.

There is no need to hedge your bets, just sit back and enjoy it, and hope that we are witnessing Zib reach the potential we can all see in his game. It sure looks promising at this point.

My opinion

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
So I was big on being patient with Zibby and I believe he of course has room to improve but my impression is his ceiling is probably going to be as a top 3rd line guy.

I don't see the hustle and I really don't see the creativity required for a Centreman. ..He doesn't really generate anything and his recent lack of production with his wingers putting up points reinforces that for me.

Maybe a move to the wing would help but he gets a ton of pp time and plays with the most skilled wingers we have and he still can't really be part of offensive chances.

I am beginning to get discouraged.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The guy is mike fisher. I see it everytime he touches the puck. Just the way he steps in over the blue line the way he shoots. I have zero issues with this kid becoming the best third line center in the league. He's big fast and can score. 50 points a year is totally cool with me.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Hey guys, you realize that Zibanejad is our youngest forward on the team, besides Curtis Lazar right, and tied for 6th on the team in scoring?

50 pts is his ceiling? He's going to come pretty close to hitting that this year. I certainly hope he hasn't hit his prime, at the ripe old age of 21.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
I also think Zibanejad will be 50 point player. I don't think he'll ever be that dominant force that many people seem to think he will be.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Agreed

I was pretty skeptical about him to start the year but we've seen some impressive peaks out of him

He's 21 and our team isn't very good, I'm more than willing to see how he develops before clamouring he'll never be more than a third liner

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I guess it only took 2 weeks to re-give up on a 21 year old.

Kesler at age 21 had 23 points in 82 games during the highest scoring NHL season in a very long time.

Kesler didn't match Zibby's 20 year old season until he was 23, on a higher scoring team.

You gotta be patient with these types of players.

Guarantee the same thing happens to Lazar when he's not scoring 60+ points at 21.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Lazar hasn't shown any offensive upside yet though, none whatsoever

Zibanejad showed offensive upside almost instantly

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
This conversation reminds me of how people used to always talk about Foligno. Hit his peak, limited player, tweener, max 45 pts guy etc.

He came in at 19 so had a bunch of NHL games under his belt by 23-24 and people stopped giving him any slack, meanwhile our other prospects like Smith, Greening, Butler, Petersson, etc were all projected to be way better options, even though some were actually older than Foligno.

Zibanejad's performance this year has been a real positive to me. He's starting to look more and more dangerous offensively and I think this is the start of a breakout. Who knows where he ends up but he's not there yet.

I look forward to revisiting this short-term view conversation for Lazar in a couple years.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
its still early to know what Zibanejad is

a lot of players take a little time i remember wondering if Johansen would reach his potential not too long ago

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This conversation reminds me of how people used to always talk about Foligno. Hit his peak, limited player, tweener, max 45 pts guy etc.

He came in at 19 so had a bunch of NHL games under his belt by 23-24 and people stopped giving him any slack, meanwhile our other prospects like Smith, Greening, Butler, Petersson, etc were all projected to be way better options, even though some were actually older than Foligno.

Zibanejad's performance this year has been a real positive to me. He's starting to look more and more dangerous offensively and I think this is the start of a breakout. Who knows where he ends up but he's not there yet.

I look forward to revisiting this short-term view conversation for Lazar in a couple years.
I was against the Methot/Foligno trade at the time, I thought Foligno was getting better every yr & he could play centre or wing, was tough & an excellent defensive player & on the PK. LW is now an area where Ottawa needs an upgrade & even with so many LWers in Bingo, I'm not sure there is one we can use in Ottawa right now. Most will say Puempel or Prince but if you look at the roster in Ottawa right now I'm not sure adding another smallish forward is going to make this team better. Michalek is the guy that management was expecting to put up a lot more pts than he has but that has not materialized just yet. Ottawa definitely need a couple more forwards who can score consistently & hold their own in the NHL.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ugh. Saying zibanejad will be a 50 point player throughout his career is NOT giving up on him. It's not bashing him. It's not calling him a bust. He's a responsible two way player. That comes with a sacrifice of points (unless you are in the elite centers group).
50-55 points with really good defensive play is an excellent ceiling.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Foligno is playing with Ryan Johansen and getting a lot of PP time

He wouldn't be getting that kind of opportunity here

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Ugh. Saying zibanejad will be a 50 point player throughout his career is NOT giving up on him. It's not bashing him. It's not calling him a bust. He's a responsible two way player. That comes with a sacrifice of points (unless you are in the elite centers group).
50-55 points with really good defensive play is an excellent ceiling.

When he has the potential to be a more than a 50 point player and he's already close to being a 50 point player, that is giving up on him.

The timing gives it away too.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Foligno is playing with Ryan Johansen and getting a lot of PP time

He wouldn't be getting that kind of opportunity here

I think Maclean would have played him until he died, he is a little bit older with a good worth ethic and gives it his all every shift

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
When he has the potential to be a more than a 50 point player and he's already close to being a 50 point player, that is giving up on him.

The timing gives it away too.

Right. Because of his pace. Pace says it all

Lots of players are inconsistent throughout their NHL careers

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
How can you say you've been patient with him, and then write him off at 21 years old? you clearly havent been patient, the average player breaks into the league at 23, breaks out at 25. Zibby is 21 and is on pace for .5ppg that is remarkable, its almost scary to think what kind of a force he can become once he asserts himself into this league with his shots, speed, and size.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think Maclean would have played him until he died, he is a little bit older with a good worth ethic and gives it his all every shift

We don't have anyone close to Johansen's level

Foligno is currently playing with one of the best centres in the NHL, he wouldn't be putting up those kinds of numbers on the Senators

Karlsson2Turris*

Among the first round of that draft, he is fifth in points. There was no one picked after him in the first round who has more points than him, other than Couturier (who has played in 88 more games).

The jury is still out on Zibby but that draft overall wasn't great. Only player I would take over him at 6th OA would be Dougie Hamilton.

And saying he will top out as a 3C is ridiculous. He has averaged 37.6 points per 82 games in his career (age 19-21), which is high end 3C production already...

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Like Karlsson2Turris said, the jury is still out. He is young at 21, and of course inconsistent.

There's no denying that his inconsistent play currently is not doing favors for his linemates

If he could be a Ryan Kesler, I will jump and scream like a teenage girl going to a One Direction concert.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The jury is still waaaaaaay, out. And being patient for a few weeks, a few seasons, isn't actually being patient, you're being impatient.

You start being patient when the kid is 24.

He has transitioned from Sweden, I'll pass judgment on how things are when he's 24, and dole out patience then if it's needed.

Some of you cats are jokers.

Instant, unearned gratification for all!

Yup, I barked at a cloud...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Giving up on Zibby would be one of the biggest mistakes this franchise could make. We've seen glimpses of what he can do. Just wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad