OT: Michigan Sports Talk V: Lions and Tigers and Wolverines and Spartans! Oh My!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Sarcastro - the answer is easy. Don't hire someone who seems smart, hire someone who *is* smart. If you can't tell the difference, chances are that you shouldn't be the one making personnel decisions.

Dombrowski knows more about baseball than all of us combined, and he thought Ausmus was smart. Whoops.

It's not as easy as you make it out to be.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Dombrowski knows more about baseball than all of us combined, and he thought Ausmus was smart. Whoops.

It's not as easy as you make it out to be.

What's strange is that coming in Ausmus had that reputation of being a bit of a stats guy, but we saw none of that while he managed. The difference seems really odd.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
It's mind-blowing how often Ausmus' Ivy League education is cited by the media. Went to an Ivy? Must be a genius.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Sarcastro - the answer is easy. Don't hire someone who seems smart, hire someone who *is* smart. If you can't tell the difference, chances are that you shouldn't be the one making personnel decisions.

If there is a difference there, it's really small.

Anyway, Michigan won today. that's good.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
MSU dfence probably just saved whoever said not to run the clock's job.

I wouldn't have run it either. I would go for the knockout. Oregon moved the ball so well, who cares if they have one timeout, two timeouts, they had at least two minutes of clock no matter what.

If I'm playing Wisconsin? Yeah, I run it. Against this team, in this situation, I go for the knockout.

Aug 6, 2012
It's crazy how just not long ago we would've went nuts over beating Oregon. Now we are the favorites. It wasn't pretty but they got the job done. Dantonio finds so much talent out of Ohio its ridiculous.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I wouldn't have run it either. I would go for the knockout. Oregon moved the ball so well, who cares if they have one timeout, two timeouts, they had at least two minutes of clock no matter what.

If I'm playing Wisconsin? Yeah, I run it. Against this team, in this situation, I go for the knockout.

Sure, But if you can't even complete a good pass or gain a decent amount of yards before you have to punt it, I don't understand why you don't run the clock or make oregon waste a timeout. That one was probably the stupidest option they could do when they were up 21/31

Pass it on the 1st and 2nd if you get nothing, Run it.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Sure, But if you can't even complete a good pass or gain a decent amount of yards before you have to punt it, I don't understand why you don't run the clock or make oregon waste a timeout. That one was probably the stupidest option they could do when they were up 21/31

Pass it on the 1st and 2nd if you get nothing, Run it.

I get what you're saying, but in college a team with a good offense can go 80 yards in less than a minute pretty easily, even with no timeouts. MSU wouldn't have been able to bleed the clock enough to really matter. If they throw and get the first down, the game is over. It was worth the risk. You don't gain any tangible advantage by running clock, but you can end the game if you throw.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
What was that about the Lions D still being good..they got torched for nearly 500 yards of offense today. And Stafford is still a riddle wrapped in an enigma.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
What was that about the Lions D still being good..they got torched for nearly 500 yards of offense today. And Stafford is still a riddle wrapped in an enigma.

The defense was worn down in about 100 degree weather because the offense couldn't do squat. Time of possession was nearly doubled in favor of San Diego.

Detroit needs Levy back ASAP and hope that Slay is okay. But it's not going to matter if this offense continues to underachieve.

On the brightside, we do have a ton of picks next season.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I hope the Lions can rebuild like i Thought they were gonna have to. If anything this was their last year before CJ slows down. And that just Shows that Stafford isn't a clutch qb.

I think Stafford is fine, he just isn't clutch. Like Brady or Rodgers.

Rebuild, rebuild

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I hope the Lions can rebuild like i Thought they were gonna have to. If anything this was their last year before CJ slows down. And that just Shows that Stafford isn't a clutch qb.

I think Stafford is fine, he just isn't clutch. Like Brady or Rodgers.

Rebuild, rebuild

Not sure the Lions are capable of rebuilding, they have some terrible contracts and Stafford isn't a leader. This team will be mediocre and continue to make poor decisions drafting, it's what they do - it will never change.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Stafford is quite similar to Romo. For him to look even passable as a good starting qb he will need a top 5 offensive line. Which is rather obvious we don't have that at all.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Stafford is quite similar to Romo. For him to look even passable as a good starting qb he will need a top 5 offensive line. Which is rather obvious we don't have that at all.

When it's a QB league and you don't have a QB capable of beating good teams, you're always going to be a bad to average team.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

One game missing their best player and we're gonna decide the defense isnt good now?

The defense was worn down in about 100 degree weather because the offense couldn't do squat. Time of possession was nearly doubled in favor of San Diego.

Detroit needs Levy back ASAP and hope that Slay is okay. But it's not going to matter if this offense continues to underachieve.

On the brightside, we do have a ton of picks next season.

This exactly. The Lions opened on the road to a solid team and lost a really close game and people are ready to jump off of buildings it seems.

The offense needs to figure it out, why is it that Lombardi never goes into a hurry up offense until the fourth quarter and a score is needed? The Chargers came out and picked up the tempo to start the second half and marched the field, the Lionsdecided to not do it until 5 ins left in the game and they marched for a TD as well. I really think Lombardi might be holding this offense back, we'll see as the season goes on but in the second season they need to pick it up or he should be gone.

Abdullah looked amazing today as one of the only bright spots for the team and while Ebron had a drop early he looked solid outside of that and ended up leading the team in receiving yards with a TD as well. Good start for him

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
You need to have a good team before you can rebuild it.

They've been building for sixty years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad