OT: Michigan Sports Talk V: Lions and Tigers and Wolverines and Spartans! Oh My!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I find this fascinating:

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-tigers/post/_/id/292/tigers-havent-forgotten-being-booed-by-fans-in-last-years-alds

I mean obviously no player likes to be booed, and had these comments been made say the week or day after this happened, I wouldn't be surprised at all. Seeing comments like these seasons afterwards is pretty shocking to me.

Could you imagine Zetterberg or Yzerman calling out the fans for what happened over a year ago, when they were swept. Especially when they had one of the biggest payrolls in the game, and had never won anything of note. I mean I will say its harder to make baseball postseason than say basketball or hockey, but it is absurd that this Tiger's team never won a world series.

The fact that one of the team's leaders is basically saying that the fans were spoiled and will learn their lesson by the Tigers not making the playoffs is crazy to me. I could never imagine something like that being said by a member of the Wings, and we are truly spoiled as sports fans. 24 years in the playoffs + multiple cups + multiple Presidents trophies and conference finals/ SCF finals, is something to be spoiled by. Wings fans have also most definitely booed them as well over the years, and I remember the odd comment here or there but usually it comes back to the players saying they don't like the boos but recognize that they need to play a lot better.

Yzerman never really crossed that line in terms of fans but people forget some of the things he did before he started winning and some of the things he held onto after they did start because of the treatment he received.

One of the reason the Wings keep virtually all media types at arms length aside from the super friends hearkens back to the days of Yzerman who very much did grow weary of coming up short and being called out on it at one point in time.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
See that look JV gave him right after the homer? lol

I realize I'm probably the only one watching :laugh:

Just blasted that all over sport center. They made it seem like Verlander was trying to get the crowd to keep booing Ausmus. Really I think he was trying to get them to root on the Wilson... But still he looked pissed the whole time. Verlander is not going anywhere and is a star perhaps you saw the moment where the dressing room is starting to publicly let people know get this guy the **** out of here.

Not sure anybody needs to be told that as we all know, but still if guys like Miggy and Verlander turn on him he is dead in the water regardless of how people feel about him up top.

Aug 6, 2012
Just blasted that all over sport center. They made it seem like Verlander was trying to get the crowd to keep booing Ausmus. Really I think he was trying to get them to root on the Wilson... But still he looked pissed the whole time. Verlander is not going anywhere and is a star perhaps you saw the moment where the dressing room is starting to publicly let people know get this guy the **** out of here.

Not sure anybody needs to be told that as we all know, but still if guys like Miggy and Verlander turn on him he is dead in the water regardless of how people feel about him up top.

Yeah he was definitely supporting Wilson there. Now way he would blatantly root against Ausmus, though that would be hilarious :laugh:

JV is your franchise pitcher. I don't understand why you don't let him finish that game. He got you that far, one more batter isn't going to kill him. Ausmus way overmanaged that. As I'm typing this I realize how pointless it is:(

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I find this fascinating:

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-tigers/post/_/id/292/tigers-havent-forgotten-being-booed-by-fans-in-last-years-alds

I mean obviously no player likes to be booed, and had these comments been made say the week or day after this happened, I wouldn't be surprised at all. Seeing comments like these seasons afterwards is pretty shocking to me.

Could you imagine Zetterberg or Yzerman calling out the fans for what happened over a year ago, when they were swept. Especially when they had one of the biggest payrolls in the game, and had never won anything of note. I mean I will say its harder to make baseball postseason than say basketball or hockey, but it is absurd that this Tiger's team never won a world series.

The fact that one of the team's leaders is basically saying that the fans were spoiled and will learn their lesson by the Tigers not making the playoffs is crazy to me. I could never imagine something like that being said by a member of the Wings, and we are truly spoiled as sports fans. 24 years in the playoffs + multiple cups + multiple Presidents trophies and conference finals/ SCF finals, is something to be spoiled by. Wings fans have also most definitely booed them as well over the years, and I remember the odd comment here or there but usually it comes back to the players saying they don't like the boos but recognize that they need to play a lot better.

I don't know if in baseball there's as much emphasis on character as there is in hockey. Baseball is less of a team game anyhow. In hockey, there's much less tolerance for individuals putting their moods etc. above the welfare of the team whereas in baseball, there's a history of people kinda doing their own thing and not giving a damn.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Comments after the game point to Verlander clearly having a beef with the fans booing. He even acknowledged that Perez is a guy whose had his number throughout his career. Really, pulling Verlander at that point isn't some crazy thing to do.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Comments after the game point to Verlander clearly having a beef with the fans booing. He even acknowledged that Perez is a guy whose had his number throughout his career. Really, pulling Verlander at that point isn't some crazy thing to do.

I think if they have a shot at the playoffs, sure. But when the season is basically over? Not so much.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think if they have a shot at the playoffs, sure. But when the season is basically over? Not so much.

The goal is still to win games (all appearances aside), and that was the "right" move. Rightness of the move aside, this is the first time Verlander's been healthy and pitching well in a couple of years, and he was up to 114 pitches. Lets say he stays in the game, but Perez gets on base. Then you're looking at 120+ pitches. It's arguable that Ausmus' mistake was sending Verlander out there at all in the 9th.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Michigan needs to get a QB. Hopefully Peters can get to Ann Arbor and Harbaugh turns him into his Andrew Luck because Rudock is bad. The defense looks amazing already, if Harbaugh can develop an offense that can stay on the field against good teams it will only get better

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
i kind of missed this but why did harbaugh go to coach michigan?

surely he would've had plenty of opportunities in NHL.

There weren't many good coaching jobs open this year. The Broncos we're going to hire Kubiak, and otherwise you had teams like the Jets, Bills, etc.

Also, if he got an NFL job he wouldn't have gotten his checks from the Niners. This way he can cash both paychecks and rebuild his NFL value while he waits for a good NFL job to open up.

I'm amused when UM folks talk about him being the next Bo. He's going to jump back to the pros as soon as possible. He's way more Nick Saban than Bo.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
There weren't many good coaching jobs open this year. The Broncos we're going to hire Kubiak, and otherwise you had teams like the Jets, Bills, etc.

Also, if he got an NFL job he wouldn't have gotten his checks from the Niners. This way he can cash both paychecks and rebuild his NFL value while he waits for a good NFL job to open up.

I'm amused when UM folks talk about him being the next Bo. He's going to jump back to the pros as soon as possible. He's way more Nick Saban than Bo.

More Nick Saban doesnt make sense at all to what youre saying.. Saban had a two year stint in the NFL, and has exclusively coached college. How does you thinking Harbaugh will go back to the pros make him more like Saban?

As for thinking he'll leave Michigan when a good NFL job opens up, I guess we'll see. Harbaugh was raised in Ann Arbor, his Dad coached their for years, he played there and is one of the best QBs in school history while raising a young family. Most coaches dont have that many ties to the school they coach at or even close, so to think hes jumping to the pros ASAP is a little silly as well, Neither of us have a clue what hes going to do

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
This isn't about Michigan, But it's related to them at least.

I think it's hilarious that Notre Dame overexcessively celebrated because Georgia Tech didn't make a 3rd or 4th down and he almost injured himself :laugh:

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
More Nick Saban doesnt make sense at all to what youre saying.. Saban had a two year stint in the NFL, and has exclusively coached college. How does you thinking Harbaugh will go back to the pros make him more like Saban?

As for thinking he'll leave Michigan when a good NFL job opens up, I guess we'll see. Harbaugh was raised in Ann Arbor, his Dad coached their for years, he played there and is one of the best QBs in school history while raising a young family. Most coaches dont have that many ties to the school they coach at or even close, so to think hes jumping to the pros ASAP is a little silly as well, Neither of us have a clue what hes going to do

By like Saban I meant that he's just a mercenary, in it for his own glory and advancement. Saban screwed people at every stop, MSU, LSU, until he got his NFL gig. Then he found out he's a lousy NFL coach and screwed them over by jumping at the Bama job despite multiple promises about how he wasn't going to coach Bama.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
It's a good thing I want the Tigers to lose their remaining non-Verlander games. That call was absolute ****.

Then again, he should have been out by ten feet if Dyson doesn't pooch the throw. That was not deep enough to score on.

Then again again, Yost already lost his challenge so I'm not sure why they let him challenge again. They'll probably say it was umpire initiated, after they weren't going to review until Yost complained.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I knew as soon as he pulled Verlander the Royals were going to tie it.

It was the right move to pull him and Wilson has been the only bright spot in the bullpen this year. So naturally it was only fitting to watch him blow it.

We're still in line for a top 10 pick so I don't mind beating the Royals the past two nights. After being a disappointment in the first half, Kinsler has been terrific in the second.

Too bad it's a lost year regardless.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
By like Saban I meant that he's just a mercenary, in it for his own glory and advancement. Saban screwed people at every stop, MSU, LSU, until he got his NFL gig. Then he found out he's a lousy NFL coach and screwed them over by jumping at the Bama job despite multiple promises about how he wasn't going to coach Bama.

Except who has Harbaugh screwed over? He left each previous job at natural points and was basically fired by SF b/c the owner hated him.

Plus, he was insanely successful in the NFL. I don't get the comparison to Saban at all.

He's in a pretty unprecedented situation. Established NFL coaches basically never come back to college. Saban wasn't an established NFL coach like Harbaugh was.

Michigan will be a power in 2017 and beyond with Harbaugh.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Harbaugh isn't leaving Michigan unless he cannot win a national champ with this team, or until he wins one.

Michigan will Have good years of football for almost 10 years or so.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Harbaugh isn't leaving Michigan unless he cannot win a national champ with this team, or until he wins one.

Michigan will Have good years of football for almost 10 years or so.

Agree. Harbaugh's 52. Carroll didn't stumble out of USC until age 60 for his most recent NFL gig. Comparing Harbaugh to Saban's fairly shallow, and it also ignores the alma mater relationship which is significant, especially as it relates to Michigan.

The idea that Harbaugh would bleep all over his alma mater by leaving inside of the 7 year term of his current contract is pretty bodacious. He'd have to get fired, which obviously isn't impossible, in order to leave and retain his reputation... odd as that may sound.

I think Michigan fans would be far more willing to forgive failure than they would be to forgive desertion.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Agree. Harbaugh's 52. Carroll didn't stumble out of USC until age 60 for his most recent NFL gig. Comparing Harbaugh to Saban's fairly shallow, and it also ignores the alma mater relationship which is significant, especially as it relates to Michigan.

The idea that Harbaugh would bleep all over his alma mater by leaving inside of the 7 year term of his current contract is pretty bodacious. He'd have to get fired, which obviously isn't impossible, in order to leave and retain his reputation... odd as that may sound.

I think Michigan fans would be far more willing to forgive failure than they would be to forgive desertion.

This is a guy that did **** all over Michigan's academics when he was at Stanford. Sorry I don't think you can reliably say Jim Harbaugh will carry out his contract, he has no real history of doing that in his three previous jobs.

Understand U of M fans thinking this will be different, but we also don't know who his NFL suitors will be and what their offers will be. That could change quickly for Harbaugh if the right franchise approaches him.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA

I had no idea that Pete Carroll was 64... The dude could pass as 45 (no pun intended).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad