OT: Michigan Sports Talk V: Lions and Tigers and Wolverines and Spartans! Oh My!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I know a lot can happen, but the Lions really should enter the game against Green Bay 11-4 in the final week. Now they need to get it done to be that when they get there, will be interesting to see what happens in the rest of the conference, very well could be a game for a top 2 seed or the third seed with them playing the very next week again. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds, would like to watch either Philly or Dallas fold though here in the next couple weeks.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Did anyone expect the Bears to do anything but screw the pooch? They are abysmal on the road.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I'll admit, let my emotions get the best of me there. Still though, I have trouble believing in this team with that offense. I think they need to try and spread the field a lot more than they do.

The offense needs to keep this kind of play calling up for the rest of the year. Today, it was clear (after the disastrous first drive) that they wanted to throw the ball to set up the run. In previous weeks it was the opposite, which clearly wasn't working with the offensive line.

Stafford was good, and even though Megatron finished with 10 catches, I feel like Matt wasn't locked to him like he usually does. 9 different guys caught passes today.

Also, i'm over Reggie Bush. Riddick has totally won me over as a receiving back.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Basically the Lions must win all the remaining games except the automatic loss in the last round @ Green Bay.

Yup. Hate this playoff format. 3 8-4 2nd place teams (us, Cowboys, and Seahawks), and one of them is gonna get ****ed over for the pitiful 5-7 Saints. Hopefully it isn't us.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Winter meetings coming up. Any predictions?

I think they'll deal Price and sign Scherzer.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I will be heading to Lambeau for the Lions week 17 matchup against the Packers.

Pretty excited.

With the way the Packers are playing, that'll be a snuff film. The Lions need to put these next three games in the bank or there's no prayer of making the playoffs if winning in Lambeau is what it'll take.

...but have fun. :nod:

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Winter meetings coming up. Any predictions?

I think they'll deal Price and sign Scherzer.

Saw that rumor a month or so back on bless you boys, so if that did go down, and adding in the Fister "trade" (which IIRC was rumored to be a case of freeing up money to sign Scherzer), I'm not exactly sure what kind of team DD is trying to build anymore.

Defensively suspect, hitting on paper good, SP on paper good, bullpen is a dumpster fire, coaching is umm, umm...learning on the job?

Or maybe Ilitch has a thing for starters, Prince a couple years ago, and then Price last year, but that pullpen and defense still weak points.

And then I look at the Giants and rage. Good/great defensively, horseshoes in their pockets, clutch in the PO.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
^ yeah, he's quietly a stud.

And I'm anxious to see how this Michigan football coaching search turns out. But again, none of this freaking mess of the past 7 years happens if Les Miles isn't c-blocked the first time around. Michigan's big dogs at the time let politics and personal feelings play a role and it ruined their freaking program while they get to sit quiet and look pretty. Makes me sick.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Saw this posted somewhere else...

Please keep this here, because I don't want to burn anyone; I've done my best to make sure you guys have as much info as I can reasonably give...

As far as I have gathered in the past couple weeks the three guys I believe to be "Plan Bs" are:

Bob Stoops
His agent reached out to UM before Brandon was fired - per someone I talk with regularly in UM administration* and a reporter
Stoops' agent told Hackett that Bob is interested in talking if/when Hoke is out - per same administrator
At least one UM beat reporter hinted at it and was then asked by their UM source to keep it quiet bc it is "sensitive" - per that reporter

Les Miles
Balas has an anti-Les source (per both Balas and Borton), plus Balas seems to be himself pretty anti-Les
Les is on the list - per a reporter (who reiterated in an email this morning), a big (not huge) donor, and the administrator

Butch Jones
Big (not huge) UM donor asked me (and a few others) if we had an opinion about Jones last week
Someone in UT's AD told someone in UM's AD that Hackett has been in touch with Jones within the past few days - per the person in UM's AD who was contacted

Other names I've heard but don't trust or have enough to verify:
Greg Schiano - Do people just bring him up because he was offered by Martin or is he an actual candidate? No confirmation from any source on UM interest, just what has been posted on message boards.
Brian Kelly - At one point my contact in the AD was certain he's a candidate; source is very uncertain now and admits they didn't hear it directly from Hackett in the first place.
Others - At one point a few weeks ago the administrator said there are "about five top candidates." If we assume Harbaugh, Stoops, Miles and Jones then that could be it, or we have 1-2 more Plan Bs.

* For context, this administrator reports directly to an executive officer and is assisting Schlissel and Hackett with some aspects of the athletic department transition from Brandon (i.e., Schlissel's often-repeated ideal of bringing the AD back closer to the University community). This administrator also happens to be my client.

On Jim Harbaugh...
I hesitated a little yesterday to say more because I learned this information through a professional interaction, but in trusting everyone to keep it here...a major donor (on par with Ross) told me in no uncertain terms that Hackett has said he has Jim locked up. The donor believes that Hackett will indeed land him.

Take it all for what it's worth obviously....and I hate to act like a ***** about it, but given much of this was learned through my work for UM I want to reiterate that I really hope and expect y'all will keep it here.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
The Tigers should be all over Nick Markakis.
Wouldn't wooing Nori Aoki make more sense? While Markakis has more power, Aoki is the better baserunner, defensively at least even and most certainly a much cheaper signing. He could bat leadoff, which has become a troubled spot after Davis/Kinsler regressed to mean and Jackson was traded. The money saved may be invested in a good lefty reliever.

By the way, I'd be very happy with trading Price - as long as an equally good pitcher can be signed. That would mean Scherzer or Lester, but frankly not even Shields.

Gruß,
BSHH

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Saw this posted somewhere else...

Interesting, but all we can do is sit and wait now. I think the longer this plays out obviously it favors Harbaugh. And he's obviously plan A for pretty much everyone. A lot of people seem to think he's staying in the NFL though so we'll see.

Stoops and Miles would likely be able to get the program back to a relevant state, but I don't think they can take it where JH may be able to. I will say that regardless of who gets the gig, if they know what they're doing (and I'm assuming they will this time around), then a very quick turn around is a real possibility.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Wouldn't wooing Nori Aoki make more sense? While Markakis has more power, Aoki is the better baserunner, defensively at least even and most certainly a much cheaper signing. He could bat leadoff, which has become a troubled spot after Davis/Kinsler regressed to mean and Jackson was traded. The money saved may be invested in a good lefty reliever.

By the way, I'd be very happy with trading Price - as long as an equally good pitcher can be signed. That would mean Scherzer or Lester, but frankly not even Shields.

Gruß,
BSHH

I'm not sure they're willing to spend the money to bring in someone like Markakis or Aoki. And if they are going to spend for them, might as well shell out what's needed for Melky Cabrera and get the best player of the bunch.

Saw Toronto let Dirks go after picking him up from us. Assuming we're not looking at shelling out a lot of cash, I'd try to get him into camp and see if he's healthy. If he's healthy enough to play, roll the dice (again) and see if he can stay healthy for a change.

The move I'd be looking at is dealing Kinsler. Had a horrible second half and is unlikely to repeat the defensive numbers he put up. We have a number of young infielders we can plug holes with (Perez and Suarez to start with) and we would then have the financial wiggle room to go get another bat and/or arm somewhere.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Jeff Moss (hilarious blogger, by the way) is reporting that Michigan will put in an offer to Harbaugh that will make him the highest-paid coach in football (including NFL).

Moss has a good UMich source... wonder if he's right about this one.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Jeff Moss (hilarious blogger, by the way) is reporting that Michigan will put in an offer to Harbaugh that will make him the highest-paid coach in football (including NFL).

Moss has a good UMich source... wonder if he's right about this one.

No way the President of Michigan signs off on paying a coach 9 or 10 million a year.

And an NFL team would surely match it anyways.

Last edited:

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
I'm not sure they're willing to spend the money to bring in someone like Markakis or Aoki. And if they are going to spend for them, might as well shell out what's needed for Melky Cabrera and get the best player of the bunch.

Saw Toronto let Dirks go after picking him up from us. Assuming we're not looking at shelling out a lot of cash, I'd try to get him into camp and see if he's healthy. If he's healthy enough to play, roll the dice (again) and see if he can stay healthy for a change.

The move I'd be looking at is dealing Kinsler. Had a horrible second half and is unlikely to repeat the defensive numbers he put up. We have a number of young infielders we can plug holes with (Perez and Suarez to start with) and we would then have the financial wiggle room to go get another bat and/or arm somewhere.
Markakis seems to be signed by Atlanta for $ 11m/year. Aoki's contract should be cheaper and shorter. I also think he is a better OF solution than Melky Cabrera, since Aoki is so much better defensively, a better baserunner and should be able to produce a similar OBP. Cabrera would be another #3-#5 type slugger, cost much more money and a draft pick, while still leaving the leadoff spot vacant.

While I expect the Tigers to utilize the money saved with not re-signing Scherzer and Hunter at least for one bonafide outfielder, giving Dirks a minor-league contract looks like a great gamble to me. I did not understand why he was let go so early instead of a replaceable player like Romine.

Trading Kinsler is an interesting proposal. It seems unlikely to me, since his contract will be too rich for most teams, he is one of newly desired small ball-type players and the Tigers recently traded away 2B top prospect Travis. I don't think the Tigers are looking to spend much more money on pitching than they already do.

Gruß,
BSHH

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I'm not sure spending more money will make a difference and get the Tigers over the hump.

The core of the roster is incapable of winning a World Series. They are basically the San Jose Sharks. The core is getting worse too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad