OT: Michigan Sports Talk V: Lions and Tigers and Wolverines and Spartans! Oh My!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I hope they can "keep it close" next week at New England. The next four games should be winnable. It was inevitable that the Packers caught them.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
The end times must be near, Michigan Tech is number 1 in this weeks college hockey poll at USCHO. :yo:

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-mens-poll/

Now it just means they'll start losing games, but it's been about 15 years since I saw them as a 4 win team.

Don't feel so bad about them sweeping Michigan a couple weeks ago. Then they swept Ferris the next week. They appear to be legit. Parity has definitely bled into college hockey. Love seeing teams like UMass-Lowell, Union and Tech are hanging with the traditional powers.

Bob Probert Owns You

Sep 25, 2007
MI
Don't feel so bad about them sweeping Michigan a couple weeks ago. Then they swept Ferris the next week. They appear to be legit. Parity has definitely bled into college hockey. Love seeing teams like UMass-Lowell, Union and Tech are hanging with the traditional powers.

Tons of credit to Mel Pearson. I really, really, really hope Michigan gets him back when Red steps down as HC.

Aug 6, 2012
Fail to score again with a 1st and goal with all the weapons on this offense. Really tired of watching this offense.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Did any really think they had a prayer today? I'm trying not to give up on them when they're behind but this is a different animal.

Brady always knows where the open man is...Stafford hopes someone gets open. Bell once again is the only thing worth a damn on offense. The tight ends are useless.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Fail to score again with a 1st and goal with all the weapons on this offense. Really tired of watching this offense.

It's not about your "weapons"...it's how you use them. The Pats are killing them with Wright (not Gronkowski) and Edelman. They know they won't win the game on the ground...they run when necessary. The Pats are taking these guys to school. The Lions are pretenders...a wild card team at best.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
This was easily one of their "mark it down as a loss" games on the schedule. The next 3 should and must be wins. Whether that happens is obviously a huge question mark and would anybody really be shocked if they lost 2 of them?

I don't know about the OC. I mean, if Brady was the QB I guarantee the offense would be much more efficient at putting up points. It is what it is and I've accepted it. With Suh gone next season and the defense going to take an inevitable hit as a result, this was their chance at a miracle season. But I don't think this QB regardless of weapons can get it done. And it certainly doesn't help that his line has regressed. But at the end of the day I think a legit top 5 QB would make this team real interesting this season. But obviously those guys don't grow on trees so it is what it is.

Btw, I'm still annoyed by the Ebron selection.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
That drop by Ebron was a killer. I'll cut him some slack because he's not been healthy all year but don't ever pick a TE in the first round again. Fauria was a street free agent.

Those next three at home are "should wins" but I'd also like to see them go into Chicago and get one there. 3-1 in the next four games is vital. They're not making playoffs with less than 10 wins. 3-1 puts them at 10-5 with the finale in Green Bay. You gotta hope their playoff hopes don't rest on that last game.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
3 end zone drops, blame Stafford.

I wonder if some posters even watch the games

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
3 end zone drops, blame Stafford.

I wonder if some posters even watch the games

Was at work and only saw the highlights but did seems like a lot of drops, even Calvin had a couple where he normally would have caught. Looking at the stat line we keep trying to rush and Bell isnt getting it done

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Stafford threw like he was either injured or he's lost his confidence...but there's no excusing some of the drops.

I liked some of the early play calls...getting the ball into Tate's hands off rub routs. Calvin needs to be used all over the field and not just along the sideline where he be walled off by bracket coverage. When Revis is such a good coverman...they can throw a guy like Browner on Johnson when they've got safety help over the top.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
The Stafford apologists always have excuses and that's what annoys me. When he plays great, I'll say it. But we never hear the end of "dropped balls" or "injuries on the offense/not enough weapons" or "offensive line couldn't block" or "play calling." A great QB finds ways to improve the offense. And a great arm doesn't not equal a great QB.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I'm not defending the day he had but he's not to blame for every incompletion. You don't complete under 40% in a game and not have a few drops. He threw a lot of bad balls too.

On the flip side...Brady was razor sharp but how many of his completions were just simple bubble screens and quick outs to Edelman or Lafell. He had a lot of high percentage throws but he also made some tough throws into coverage.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Stafford was hot garbage as was most of our entire offense. That 4th down slide was one of the dumbest plays I have ever seen.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The Stafford apologists always have excuses and that's what annoys me. When he plays great, I'll say it. But we never hear the end of "dropped balls" or "injuries on the offense/not enough weapons" or "offensive line couldn't block" or "play calling." A great QB finds ways to improve the offense. And a great arm doesn't not equal a great QB.

And what annoys me is I havent seen one person rag on a guy like Calvin who has been dropping passes all year and not his usual self. It cant be a guy like Calvin though right, its gotta be Stafford. The offense didnt score today, must br Stafford. Stafford only put 3 balls right in receivers hands in the end zone. He should do way more than that on the road in New England.

Stafford hasnt been great this year, but hes no more to blame than most other guys on the offense. The only person meeting expectations is Tate. Everyone else on the offense needs a wake up call. Stafford needs to play better but 3 end zone drops and a missed FG is 24 points left on the field by guys who couldnt make plays that Stafford executed just fine.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
And what annoys me is I havent seen one person rag on a guy like Calvin who has been dropping passes all year and not his usual self. It cant be a guy like Calvin though right, its gotta be Stafford. The offense didnt score today, must br Stafford. Stafford only put 3 balls right in receivers hands in the end zone. He should do way more than that on the road in New England.

Stafford hasnt been great this year, but hes no more to blame than most other guys on the offense. The only person meeting expectations is Tate. Everyone else on the offense needs a wake up call. Stafford needs to play better but 3 end zone drops and a missed FG is 24 points left on the field by guys who couldnt make plays that Stafford executed just fine.

I've been calling Calvin out all year. Golden Tate has surpassed him in terms of being the #1 WR here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad