OT: Michigan Sports Talk III: In Search of a Left Fielder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Even if the Lions somehow scrape out the division title, seeing this team boot a golden opportunity to win the division (and win it comfortably)...I've lost confidence in this coaching staff. Mayhew has built a talented team but they need the right leaders at the top to get them to the next level. I wouldn't blow up the roster...just get new coaches. The talent is there...they lack discipline and melt down when the going gets tough. Other than killing the Packers on Thanksgiving, they've not answered the bell down the stretch. They deserve to be in the spot they're in.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
He pretty much did was Peppers threatened to do before standing by his commitment. Until he commits somewhere else, there's still a chance he stays with Michigan.

Talking about potentially taking visits because of the uncertainty of the head coach's future and flat out decommitting are two different animals.

Dave Brandon had to come out and say that Hoke was not going anywhere shortly after the Pepper's news. Coincidence? Not a chance.

Campbell seen Michigan's offense look absolutely terrible for most of the season and lose 5 games. And so did the many other coaches who will continue to recruit him until his signing day. He might very well still end up at Michigan but there's a certain school in his backyard that will be playing for a BCS Title. Winning matters and Michigan is losing some recruits because of it.

Pepper's is probably the most excited I've ever been about a Michigan recruit though. He needs to get some touches on offense too because basically wherever he plays on a football field he's going to be the best athlete, ala Charles Woodson.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not much left on the market bullpen wise. We need like 3 good arms in the BP still...

People always freak out about bullpens but for me the bullpen aspect almost always comes down to the coach. Spending big on a bullpen really isn't that wise, sure you can have a high priced closer. But look around at some of the leagues best bullpens for the last decade. The A's, Cardinals and Rays almost always have a good bullpen, they just get guys that do some things very well and are under-appreciated. Sometimes they spend on a closer but rarely, they just manage them well. All of a sudden Baltimore has been better at it since a manager switch.

Really for me it is up to Ausmus to make good with what he has. We certainly have one of the better one inning closers in the league. Now he needs to find the other guys and matchups, have a feeling we are going to like the guy we got from Washington.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Trey Burke with 30 points, 7 rebounds and 8 assists vs Orlando last night.

Pretty impressive. Almost doubled the next leading scorer in the game.

not sure if you're going with a Detroit should have picked him post. but it should be noted that Orlando is a really bad team so his stats should be taken with a grain of salt.

Hell, take it with two grains of salt :laugh: Still an excellent game, at the least.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Burke is still inconsistent but then it's not like the Pistons' pick has been setting the world on fire.

With regards to the Lions: I hope Schwartz collects his pink slip tomorrow morning.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Some might think I'm crazy but what does everyone think about maybe Mike Shanahan? Stafford is more his style QB and he's been a house waiting to collapse since they drafted RG3. (the owner loved him but Shanahan didn't even really like him. hence drafting Cousins only a few rounds later.) plus the guys won before. I'm not saying give him a 5 year deal but maybe a 2 year deal with a team option for a 3rd.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I like Bill O'Brien from Penn State. He's got a history of success as NFL OC and now college HC and he's shown he can build very solid offenses around QBs.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
any coach that comes in has a huge advantage. they get the best Wide receiver in the game still in his prime. a QB who has all the natural ability you need and a great front 4 on D. Schwartz is far from perfect but I'll say this. the guy is a hell of a rebuild starter. he knows talent and isn't afraid to take a risk on a player that could be great. (Ansah).

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think in the NFL you can rebuild very quickly to be honest. Look at some of the teams that are now quite decent and where some of them were just a few years ago. KC, Cincinnati, Arizona, Carolina, Seattle even Denver have been really terrible at some point over the last few years.

In that league there's no need for a 5 year plan, a good coach should have a team competing within 2-3 years.

Aug 6, 2012
I don't get it. The Lions have so much, but they just can't win.

The best wide receiver, maybe best player, in the NFL. A QB with as good of an arm as anyone in the league. An offensive line and defensive line that are both capable of dominating. Reggie Bush and Joique Bell tandem.

Its gotta be management.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada

The best wide receiver, maybe best player, in the NFL. A QB with as good of an arm as anyone in the league. An offensive line and defensive line that are both capable of dominating. Reggie Bush and Joique Bell tandem.

Its gotta be management.

Bad play calling and lack of disipline has killed them this year. 3rd and one? Empty back field and an incomplete pass.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Yeah, it's clearly the coaching. Schwartz can't be shipped out of town fast enough.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

Its gotta be management.

Stafford maybe have one of the best arms in football, but that doesn't make him one of the best quarterbacks in football. He's very inconsistent with his accuracy, has poor mechanics (arm angle and foot work), and is undisciplined when it comes to turning the ball over. He has the physical tools needed to be elite, but at this point in time he's far from elite. In fact, he's been horrible the past month or so. Horrible.

QB is by far the most important position in football. It's probably the most important position in all of sports. QB play can completely make or break a team.

To me that's been the biggest problem right now. When Stafford plays good, the Lion's typically win. When he doesn't, well just look at the last two seasons.

With that being said, Stafford isn't the only problem. Just the biggest. The team overall is undisciplined, the secondary is far from a strength, and the play calling is definitely questionable at best.

Schwartz likely lost his job with this last loss and meltdown and Mayhew could very well be on his way out as well.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
No Jim, this was a failure.

Schwartz is doing his part by playing it off like he expects to be back next year...still putting value into perparing for this Sunday against the Vikings. Bottom line, this team should've won this division and done it comfortably. A coach that has control of the situation doesn't lose 5 of 6 when you have the division in the palm of your hand. It's one thing if they were a team that fought back from adversity...let's say they played without Stafford or Johnson for a stretch and they hung in but fell short.

This team shouldn't have been in this situation...the mistakes were too many to count. This is where the lack of discipline and not having an attention to detail killed this team when all they needed to do was the little things to pull out some of these late season losses.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
I think they'll fire Schwartz and bring in an offensive minded coach with experience developing QB's to help bring out Stafford's potential. He's still only 25 and had a really good year in 2011, and sometimes it takes QB's until their later 20's to really develop into their own. O'Brien makes some sense.

They've got pretty good lines and Johnson/Bush/Bell is decent to build around offensively and Fauria has a lot of potential even if he's only a threat in the red zone. I imagine their top priorities in the draft will be finding a #2 WR and upgrading the secondary.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

You only have to look at my above post to know that I believe Stafford is the biggest reason why Detroit doesn't win more frequently.

With that being said I do believe he has the opportunity to turn it around.

But it is refreshing to read that article. Especially the beginning where has brings up all the gaudy stats that Stafford supporters have constantly brought up in any Stafford discussion. Yes Stafford has those yardage numbers, but that's only because he's basically had an opportunity that no other QB has had in terms of throwing the ball and throwing the ball to one of the greatest WRs ever. I hated when Pat Caputo would be on the radio using those numbers as a reason to why Stafford was elite a month and a half ago. I'm laughing now.

Last edited:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
He's not a bust, he's just very underwhelming. He is anti-clutch and it drives me crazy. Just once, I'd love to see him hit a guy on a go route. We would have won a couple more games if he had that ability. He can be so good at times, but so depressingly bad at times. I don't know how much accuracy he gain, I've always thought that was a skill you either had or didn't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad