OT: Michigan Sports Talk III: In Search of a Left Fielder

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Nice to see they've given up calling that ticky tack hand check crap.

Except when they decide to call it anyway, out of nowhere, after letting it go all game.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I have to plead ignorance and say that's the first MSU game I've seen this / last year. I'm not exactly sure what to take out of it, to be honest.

Aug 6, 2012
Nice to see they've given up calling that ticky tack hand check crap.

Except when they decide to call it anyway, out of nowhere, after letting it go all game.

Yeah the officiating was ridiculous. The first 55 minutes of the game they let so much contact go and then in the last 5 minutes they decided to call everything. And then in OT they let most of the stuff go again.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Really thought the Lions should have went after Lovie Smith, but then to miss on Whisenhunt? I don't know. Maybe Caldwell will be better than expected.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Lifelong Lions fan here -

This just further proves my belief that the Lions will never get a quality hire either in the front office or on the sideline until the Ford family sells the team (which likely won't happen any time soon).

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Based off their NFL resumes, what made Whis so much better than Caldwell? I don't really see it. It seems like Caldwell is discredited b/c he had Manning but that is ignored when everyone clamors for Dungy (who was only decent in TB before they got rid of him so Gruden could come in and win the SB).

Both Caldwell and Whis will probably be fired within a few years anyway. Tennessee is a terrible job for any coach; they have little to no talent.

Kiddington

Nov 3, 2008
Reno, NV
Honestly, does it even matter who they got? Look what we're talking about here.

They're one of the most cap-crunched teams in the NFL right now, and they can't even win a division where 8-8 (forget the tie garbage, Green Bay was an 8-8 quality team) is "good enough". Yes a lot of that does fall on the previous regime, which let's be honest here Marty Mornhinweg would probably coach circles around, but still. This team, as a whole, is not very good at all.

I mean, look at 'em. Just really look at the situation, outside of the big names and fantasy stats. The QB is a prima-donna frat boy who refuses to tailor the flaws of his game (those flaws highly enabled by said previous regime, but I digress), the WR's are a nightmare outside of one multi-generational talent that seems to have, in the most fitting instance of Lion luck ever, developed chronic knee pain, and the offense as a whole grinds to a halt whenever he's not in the lineup. And I haven't even gotten to the defense yet, what with that dumpster fire of a secondary that they STILL haven't fixed. Is there literally anyone in existence that even could make this work?

...with that being said, a new coach, really anyone at this point not named Jim Schwartz, can't hurt in the least. I can't and don't expect much out of this roster (the talent level of this team is highly overblown to say the least; they're better than 7-9 for sure, and with a better coach who isn't a lunatic they win that division, but they're not some darkhorse Super Bowl threat either, not with that secondary), but can Caldwell really be any worse than his predecessor? I mean seriously, I don't think they could possibly do worse at this point; he was as toxic as toxic gets.

One last point; it's awfully funny to me that everyone's so jilted over Whisenhunt, when, in reality, we're talking about a guy who lost 10 out of his last 11 games the last time he ran a team. Granted Caldwell didn't do much better, but still; that's awfully Schwartz-esque. Why are upset about not getting this guy again?

Last edited:

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
The QB is a prima-donna frat boy who refuses to tailor the flaws of his game (those flaws highly enabled by said previous regime, but I digress)
Would you consider trading Stafford? If so, what do you think his trade value would be? I don't follow the Lions religiously, just enough to hold down a conversation about them, so I really don't know. But once I heard he said he refuses to get any help I thought he could take the next ticket out of Detroit. That / He doesn't sound like a professional.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Would you consider trading Stafford? If so, what do you think his trade value would be? I don't follow the Lions religiously, just enough to hold down a conversation about them, so I really don't know. But once I heard he said he refuses to get any help I thought he could take the next ticket out of Detroit. That / He doesn't sound like a professional.

they won't trade him. it just isn't going to happen. were in the situation where he's to good to get rid of. but to inconsistent for people to stop wanting for the team to get rid of him. similar to Tony Romo in Dallas.
Caldwell for any issues he has a a coach, Molding QB's isn't one of them. the guy knows his stuff and is going to be great for Stafford.

It also didn't help this year that receivers couldn't hold onto a pass. 3-5 of his interceptions were tips off of his receivers, including one at the end of the game that went in Calvins hands and popped out to end a winning drive, the game and essentially the season as it all fell apart after that.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
So Trey Burke returned to Michigan last night - 20 points, 12 assists.

Dumars sucks.

He only had those stats because the Pistons are turrible.

Just because you can beat up the 6 year old down the street doesn't make you a tough guy. Same idea with Burke.

Aug 6, 2012
KCP is gonna be a good player especially once his shots start falling. Its too bad Jennings and Smith jaf to be signed.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
He only had those stats because the Pistons are turrible.

Just because you can beat up the 6 year old down the street doesn't make you a tough guy. Same idea with Burke.

Burke plays on a team that's pretty bad too. The difference is they are in complete rebuilding mode, Pistons are delusional enough to think they are in "win now" mode. :laugh:

griffs

Sep 17, 2012
Grand Rapids, Mi

I don't think it is even possible to trade him if they wanted given the salary cap hit they would get by trading him.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Not enthused about the Tigers' bullpen. With so many decent-to-very-good bullpen arms out there and the prices at rock-bottom, I just can't imagine why they wouldn't add one. K-Rod would be a great add. Neshek or Ayala would be helpful too.

This seems to be Dombrowski's achilles heel - wasting $150 million rosters by trying to save $3 mil on the bullpen. Foolish.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Not enthused about the Tigers' bullpen. With so many decent-to-very-good bullpen arms out there and the prices at rock-bottom, I just can't imagine why they wouldn't add one. K-Rod would be a great add. Neshek or Ayala would be helpful too.

This seems to be Dombrowski's achilles heel - wasting $150 million rosters by trying to save $3 mil on the bullpen. Foolish.

Their biggest need is a setup man. The closest thing to that on the market is KRod. After that, everyone is run of the mill, mediocre, and not very good in high-leverage plate appearances.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I'd be happy with Fernando Rodney. Or throwing bigger money at Ryan Madson for a year. We have to be a better option than the Mets for these guys, even if they don't get to close. Give them a bit of a payday for a year, a legit shot at a series, and then hit the market again next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->