Confirmed with Link: Michal Kempny to capitals for a 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
This move is imho an upgrade over one of young defenders in the gm eyes. whoever says it's an upgrade over orpik is clueless (mostly the main board), no one in their right mind goes to the playoffs with basically 3 rookies on D. we will see brooks orpik in the playoffs and we will see him a lot.

as for shmidt, this move in my eyes is basically GM admitting he screwed up with shmidt. he basically looked for shmidt and got this guy, only shmidt has a solid playoffs resume. bad asset management all around.

What exactly do you see in Orpik that gives you confidence in him over pretty much any NHL level replacement at this point?

I'm not even very familiar with Kempny but his numbers and the comments from Chicago fans already lead me to believe he is a huge upgrade on Orpik because it's hard to be worse than one of the worst in the league.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
If y'all think this move bumps Orpik, your delusional. Trotz will keep him on the 3rd line... :(

They'll send Bowey to Hershey

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
It meant waiving Chorney. See if he clears.

They need to trade Orpik. Get Detroit to take him in a deal for Mike Green

If they can somehow con the Wings into taking Orpik - great, but I don't see how you do it without giving up key pieces / picks. I wouldn't be willing to trade a #1, or any blue chippers for Greenie (who I liked more than most when he was here).

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
If they can somehow con the Wings into taking Orpik - great, but I don't see how you do it without giving up key pieces / picks. I wouldn't be willing to trade a #1, or any blue chippers for Greenie (who I liked more than most when he was here).

Oh they would have to include the #1. But if that got them Green while also removing the Orpik headache, I would do it. Wouldnt need to have Det retain either.

Niskanen-Orlov
Carlson-Djoos
Green-Kempny
Bowey

Thats a lot better defense than what we are trotting out now.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Oh they would have to include the #1. But if that got them Green while also removing the Orpik headache, I would do it. Wouldnt need to have Det retain either.

Niskanen-Orlov
Carlson-Djoos
Green-Kempny
Bowey

Thats a lot better defense than what we are trotting out now.

I’d consider a first and Orpik for Green but I have to believe other teams would offer better packages for Green.

If they are going to trade their first round pick I’d rather trade it for a guy like Hjalmarsson who has an additional year on his contract. Arizona could easily eat Orpik’s salary or at least most of it.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd sooner fire MacLellan than let him deal the first rounder to get rid of what was obviously going to be a problem contract. But it is straight out of the Grunfeld playbook and we've seen how viable that's been in remaining employed by Ted. It's a huge problem for them right now but it's not the only one by any stretch. Part of the problem in even dealing Orpik at this point is how soft their blueline would become, esp. with 2/74 playing so weak. Orlov would be their toughest, most consistent defender (and, I mean, imagine that not all that long ago).

There is a lot wrong with this team when it comes to playoff style hockey. Orpik's contract sticks out in restricting them in making further upgrades but even if they manage to pull that off I'm not at all convinced they have the right mix or attitude regardless. It's why a house cleaning remains the most viable move to make for a franchise that seems to lack vision. While I do believe MacLellan understands their current competitive shortcomings there's a failure to tighten it up and make tangible strides that I can't doesn't speak well to anyone's leadership. They're chugging along as usual but an all-in type mentality again at the deadline without that crossing over into how they conduct themselves in practice is idiotic.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Step back from the ledge....they’re not wasting assets before the deadline to dump Orpik OR acquire Green. My prediction.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'd sooner fire MacLellan than let him deal the first rounder to get rid of what was obviously going to be a problem contract. But it is straight out of the Grunfeld playbook and we've seen how viable that's been in remaining employed by Ted. It's a huge problem for them right now but it's not the only one by any stretch. Part of the problem in even dealing Orpik at this point is how soft their blueline would become, esp. with 2/74 playing so weak. Orlov would be their toughest, most consistent defender (and, I mean, imagine that not all that long ago).

There is a lot wrong with this team when it comes to playoff style hockey. Orpik's contract sticks out in restricting them in making further upgrades but even if they manage to pull that off I'm not at all convinced they have the right mix or attitude regardless. It's why a house cleaning remains the most viable move to make for a franchise that seems to lack vision. While I do believe MacLellan understands their current competitive shortcomings there's a failure to tighten it up and make tangible strides that I can't doesn't speak well to anyone's leadership. They're chugging along as usual but an all-in type mentality again at the deadline without that crossing over into how they conduct themselves in practice is idiotic.

I agree with most of this but the bolded I couldn't disagree with more. There's nothing about Orpik's game that makes him tough to play against. He's the very definition of "soft" in that respect and losing him would immediately make the team more difficult to play against, especially if a decent upgrade is included in the return.

I probably wouldn't want to give up a first round pick for a rental so I'd probably reconsider my opinion on trading it for Green, but I absolutely think it'd be worth it to get rid of a problem contract and acquire someone more difficult to play against and with another year, like Hjalmarsson or hitting a home run with someone like McDonagh. They shouldn't throw picks around like candy but this team's window is closing and their prospect pool is already thin, which somewhat paradoxically makes it worth it even more to go all-in now IMO.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Twabby doesn’t believe in the value of physicality in the playoffs. It’s ok to be wrong.

How have the Capitals fared recently in the playoffs with Orpik in the lineup?

How have the Penguins, with one of the least physical blue lines in the NHL, fared in the playoffs?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ahh yes.....futile attempt to lay team blame at the feet of an individual you’ve carried a grudge for since arrival.

Ended with the classic sad faced Caps fan defense.....”Bring up Penguin success”.....forgetting to mention that formula requires two elite centers....perhaps among the greatest of all time for the formula to work.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
6 puck movers on D? Orlov, Djoos, Kempny + Carlson, Nisky and Green!

I do think Reirden will have options now. Like Kempny-Niskanen. Not your ideal 2nd pair mind you... But its making the only rookie left on D certainly playing not higher than 3rd pair.

Orlov-Carlson
Kempny-Niskanen
Orpik-theBetterRookie/trade

The thing concerning potential extension: We have Lujo and Siege too for next season. There is still veteranish type D need in top4.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He can’t be worse than Orpik is with the puck on his stick. Agreed....lots of options for Trotz and company indeed.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Orpik for Hjalmarsson would be nice. Maintains the window for this and next playoffs. Allows to pay more to Carlson.

Should be doable. Next year Orpik's salary is almost even with NJ's. We could pay something other than #1 perhaps. Florida's #2?

Green is really not worth it because we can't sign him further (Bowey is better suited for bottom-4 RD).

Hjalmarsson is almost ideal for the situation. Reasonable. Proven winner. Not old.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Ahh yes.....futile attempt to lay team blame at the feet of an individual you’ve carried a grudge for since arrival.

Ended with the classic sad faced Caps fan defense.....”Bring up Penguin success”.....forgetting to mention that formula requires two elite centers....perhaps among the greatest of all time for the formula to work.

I'm not blaming him for the failures of the team. I'm saying he and his style of play are not important for a team looking to compete for a Cup.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Also... Siegenthaler could be expendable if we are getting Hjalmarsson or similar player. Another chip that is not #1

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not blaming him for the failures of the team. I'm saying he and his style of play are not important for a team looking to compete for a Cup.

When you have two of the greatest players of all time....right....got it. Hawks, Kings, Bruins, Wings....all had players with a significant physical presence contribute to their Cup wins.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Also... Siegenthaler could be expendable if we are getting Hjalmarsson or similar player. Another chip that is not #1

From what I’m reading from our Hershey fans, doesn’t seem like he’s going to make the big club next year, so yeah....certainly a trade option.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
How have the Capitals fared recently in the playoffs with Orpik in the lineup?

How have the Penguins, with one of the least physical blue lines in the NHL, fared in the playoffs?
Pittsburgh may not have had a bruiser but they were tenacious from top to bottom and weren't really soft either. They were quick and could move the puck but guys like Dumoulin and Hainsey are pretty diligent defensive players that I'd consider hard to against. Letang has some bite to him at times (see his suspension). Whereas the Caps don't share that work rate as much--starting with their exits--and likely still wouldn't have that tenacity to them if you put Hjalmarsson or McDonagh into the top four. It's in part cultural.

I don't dispute at all that they would be better without Orpik but his physicality (albeit one-dimensional) is an aspect they would nonetheless miss. I don't think there's a realistic series of trades that changes the uncomfortable reality that this is a transition season and by going away from relying on Djoos and/or Bowey they may only lengthen that transition period or potentially stunt their development by jerking them around and not giving them a vote of confidence when they're not really the problem. It's just seems like the typical anxiety regarding a lack of experience that should be trumped by hockey sense, confidence in the process and an accountability level that should be way higher than it actually is.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Pittsburgh may not have had a bruiser but they were tenacious from top to bottom and weren't really soft either. They were quick and could move the puck but guys like Dumoulin and Hainsey are pretty diligent defensive players that I'd consider hard to against. Letang has some bite to him at times (see his suspension). Whereas the Caps don't share that work rate as much--starting with their exits--and likely still wouldn't have that tenacity to them if you put Hjalmarsson or McDonagh into the top four. It's in part cultural.

I don't dispute at all that they would be better without Orpik but his physicality (albeit one-dimensional) is an aspect they would nonetheless miss. I don't think there's a realistic series of trades that changes the uncomfortable reality that this is a transition season and by going away from relying on Djoos and/or Bowey they may only lengthen that transition period or potentially stunt their development by jerking them around and not giving them a vote of confidence when they're not really the problem. It's just seems like the typical anxiety regarding a lack of experience that should be trumped by hockey sense, confidence in the process and an accountability level that should be way higher than it actually is.

Again, not disagreeing with most of this at all. Hainsey and Dumoulin are different than Orpik because they are diligent defensive players as you mentioned, whereas Orpik simply is not. And I'm certainly not arguing your point about work rate and overall hockey sense being lacking on this team, but again how does subtracting Orpik from that hurt them in any way? Their exits are junk but Orpik is probably the worst on the team in that regard, not to mention if the forwards actually do manage to get the puck in the offensive zone with possession they are effectively playing 4v5 if Orpik is on the ice.

Orpik isn't a physical player. He hits, that's it. I'd consider a "physical player" as someone who is actively good close to the net or in the corners (either offensively or defensively) and it's just hard to make that case for Orpik. I don't think the team would miss what he brings, at least on the ice, one bit.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I’d consider a first and Orpik for Green but I have to believe other teams would offer better packages for Green.

If they are going to trade their first round pick I’d rather trade it for a guy like Hjalmarsson who has an additional year on his contract. Arizona could easily eat Orpik’s salary or at least most of it.

I've been pushing for Hjalmarsson all season, so if you want a fanclub member from the Caps, I've been chartering it for a while. But I think we would need to add more to it for AZ, as Hjalmarsson has an other year on his deal. Green's FA status makes him easier to acquire from a cost perspective.

But YES, Hjalmarsson would be an ideal pick up, even if we kept Orpik for the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad