Confirmed with Link: Michal Kempny to capitals for a 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Someone else is probably going out. This isn't enough of a slam-dunk veteran upgrade for a playoff push to be spending a 3rd rounder in the coming draft. Makes me think they want to keep this guy, which means room will be made.

Reactions: ovikovy817

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Someone else is probably going out. This isn't enough of a slam-dunk veteran upgrade for a playoff push to be spending a 3rd rounder in the coming draft. Makes me think they want to keep this guy, which means room will be made.

If that's Brooks Orpik (propably not now, in the summer, though) then that might just be the most well spent 3rd round pick in years.

Reactions: ovikovy817 and g00n

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
If that's Brooks Orpik (propably not now, in the summer, though) then that might just be the most well spent 3rd round pick in years.

Kempny is UFA tho.. I would say this trade has very little impact on how they trade Orpik in the summer.... it probably hurts them as they dont have an extra 3rd rounder to throw into the mix to have someone take him off their hands.

I would say there is more chance of an upcoming move.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
In the short-term, Oduya would have been the much better Orpik replacement since he kills penalties and can act as that sort of veteran mentoring. Kempny averaged 44 seconds per game on the PK so he does kill some but not nearly enough to believe he can immediately become a fixture on the second unit. For the time being it's Kempny and Djoos that have overlapping skill sets in terms of overall role. Djoos can play his off side but I'm not sure something like those two plus Bowey and the three vets can work. It's younger, faster and more puck-moving but they'd need a lot more out of Kempny than he's shown thus far. Orpik is not that good, of course, but his main utility relative to the other depth D isn't really addressed with this move.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
The only chance this team has at going deep in the playoffs is to somehow get orpik off the books by the trade deadline and pickup a 2LW (Patches, Neal) and completely alter their "system". Go to the playoffs in an all out, north / south style and hope Holtby gets it back enough to make up for the D.....

And for all that to go right and actually work is a lot of risk.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
In the short-term, Oduya would have been the much better Orpik replacement since he kills penalties and can act as that sort of veteran mentoring. Kempny averaged 44 seconds per game on the PK so he does kill some but not nearly enough to believe he can immediately become a fixture on the second unit. For the time being it's Kempny and Djoos that have overlapping skill sets in terms of overall role. Djoos can play his off side but I'm not sure something like those two plus Bowey and the three vets can work. It's younger, faster and more puck-moving but they'd need a lot more out of Kempny than he's shown thus far. Orpik is not that good, of course, but his main utility relative to the other depth D isn't really addressed with this move.

Propably not.

I'll gladly take the hit, or hope that someone can take a bigger role on the PK if it means improving the overall ES play, and getting some dumb off this team.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Funny....the way he’s crapped on here, you would think any upgrade pushing Orpik to the bench would be seen as much more than marginal.

The assumption that Djoos is going to sit seems like overreaction to me. Djoos has done nothing to even warrant considering it IMO. I am concerned he’s going to get beat up when the physicality ramps up in the postseason though for sure, so this is another layer of coverage for that too.

Are you familiar with coaching career of Barry Trotz?

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Where’s that dumb Cutta pic Strung used to post when I need it?
There are a lot to pick from...this one?

800px-Jakub_%C4%8Cutta.jpg

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
The GMs who are good at drafting)

and coaching that can develop and use that talent. I dont get joy out of comparing things to the penguins.. but they have like 9 players that have contributed to their team this year that were 3rd rounders or later... (some traded for, some drafted and developed in their system) and they have 3 or 4 undrafted players.

The secret to success in today's NHL is getting those unexpected players into the right situation to help you team on a cheap salary cap hit. Caps don't draft all that well in the later rounds nor do they get the most out of them when they do get here.

Wonder what a guy like R Barber would be doing in the Pens system?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

The only thing that is concerning is the sample size. His results are good so far and I think this could end up being a shrewd move.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Decent depth. I'd love to get Orpik off the books and get a vet F.

Still, I don't think this team ever goes anywhere with Trotz... so, whatever.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
3rd round picks have a 12% chance of making the NHL, an 8% chance of playing more than 100 games in the NHL.
The numbers can rationalize all sorts of routine trading of picks outside of the first two rounds and they certainly have tossed away a lot over the years. It's not a killer price but it's also not necessarily a sensible move given the type of players they have in Djoos/Bowey, Kempny's own inexperience and sheltered role to this point in his career and their continued need for a deeper pipeline. We don't really know if he'll help the blueline much. He should be serviceable depth but a third is a fairly high price for a player who hasn't been able to stick as a regular this season, even if they may believe his analytics suggest further upside. The timing suggests he must have been really high up on their list to jump now rather than wait and, again, maybe there's something there. The AAV certainly fits with their current constraints but at this stage of the season it's hard to be fully patient and mix/match down the stretch.

Mostly it's that they have more pressing execution matters to focus on in order to make bigger strides than adding another likely depth defender. They're not mutually exclusive acts but it's just another sign of wastefulness if all that gets adjusted is Kempny with Carlson and Orpik with Djoos or something. There's more fundamentally wrong with them from a pace standpoint than combinations. Again, it's not a huge price to give up in isolation but when it's a habit (trading for Graovac, etc.) it's somewhat troubling and that's not even getting into last season's aggressiveness at the deadline or their other questionable losses last off-season. It's also subtracts an asset should something more significant arise closer to the deadline if the market swings. Any other move will need to subtract a roster player and there are some other assets but I'm surprised it took quite this much for a player that doesn't have much of an NHL track record and wasn't strongly in the mix for Chicago. Again, maybe it's a steal for them and they certainly have given up more for older, worse players but it still seems a bit questionable. Maybe they're not done but even if they're not I'm not sure this is a player they had to secure given his inexperience level and sheltered role to date. I'm also not sure it's the best sign organizationally if it happens to have been motivated less by Kempny's positives than a fear of playing two rookies. Orpik/Bowey likely would have gotten torched in the playoffs but so would a lot of their usual habits and this probably doesn't do much at all to change that dynamic. That's not to say anything short of that has no value but I'm not sure it provides more value than (speculatively) a cheaper, more experienced option like Oduya or Holden. Maybe they just see Weber/Gleason in those guys. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad