Prospect Info: Michael McCarron

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If he stays in the AHL the entire year does that make him safe from expansion?

He's in the 2nd year of his contract, so he's safe regardless. From my understanding anyways.

Oh... please, keep him on the right wing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He's in the 2nd year of his contract, so he's safe regardless. From my understanding anyways.

Oh... please, keep him on the right wing.

I agree. Last night against the Leafs was his best game (and I'm not only talking about his goal and fight). As a winger, he was stopping plays the Leafs made along the boards. His big frame and long reach was an apparent advantage last night.

The good thing about him playing center is that it gives the team more options. And certain game situations or injuries will call for him to play center and the beauty is that he won't seem out of place.

I read online today that during his interview on the radio with Ron Fournier last night after the game, Bergevin sounded like Lehkonen and Sergachev will start in Montreal and that McCarron impressed enough to where he might start in the NHL as well.

My question is that if Big Mac does start the year, who loses his spot: Flynn, Andrighetto or Mitchell? It's a safe bet Danault and Byron aren't going anywhere.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Francois Gagnon ✔ @GagnonFrancois
Selon les informations que j'ai obtenues, le #CH n'a pas encore pris de décision finale à l'égard de McCarron. On veut qu'il joue beaucoup

If they want him to play alot, they should send him to St John's.

apexpredator

Jul 30, 2016
It also the attributed to the fact that Wingers is an easier position to play the C. That's why I sometimes don't get the hate for starting Seguin and Galchenyuk on the wings early in their career.

That said, I do agree with the hate that Galchenyuk was moved down the middle a season to late.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
His skating seems to have really improved. He should have a spot on the team by the second half of the season, IMO. 17-18 the latest.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
My question is that if Big Mac does start the year, who loses his spot: Flynn, Andrighetto or Mitchell? It's a safe bet Danault and Byron aren't going anywhere.

It has to be Flynn.

Mitchell is Flynn++

Andrighetto has more talent and represents a bigger risk at waivers.

It's easier to replace a Flynn. Guys like him are on the waiver wire or available for next to nothing all the time. Even DeLaRose could fill in on a bottom line for a few weeks if we had two or three injuries.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
McCarron has done enough to make the team. With that said Habs have an abundance of bodies and 3 more months in the AHL will only help his development. 2013 draft will turn out similar to 1987 and 2007.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
His skating seems to have really improved. He should have a spot on the team by the second half of the season, IMO. 17-18 the latest.

It's a tough call, because I do feel we need his big frame in the lineup now. But who does he replace?

Pacioretty Galchenyuk Gallagher
Lehkonen Plekanec Radulov
Carr DD Shaw
Byron Mitchell Danault
Ghetto

I don't think taking Desharnais out of the lineup is the answer. But if he struggles, Danault could play 3rd line center and McCarron could play 4th line wing.

But the other problem is, if we keep 14 forwards, we can only keep 7 dmen, which means exposing Redmond to waivers. This would leave us very thin on d.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It's a tough call, because I do feel we need his big frame in the lineup now. But who does he replace?

Pacioretty Galchenyuk Gallagher
Lehkonen Plekanec Radulov
Carr DD Shaw
Byron Mitchell Danault
Ghetto

I don't think taking Desharnais out of the lineup is the answer. But if he struggles, Danault could play 3rd line center and McCarron could play 4th line wing.

But the other problem is, if we keep 14 forwards, we can only keep 7 dmen, which means exposing Redmond to waivers. This would leave us very thin on d.

McCarron needs to play and play a lot so to me the decision is easy. Send him down until Christmas or of course he can be the first injury call up.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
McCarron needs to play and play a lot so to me the decision is easy. Send him down until Christmas or of course he can be the first injury call up.
I would love to see him stay, but this is probably where it's all going...poor kid will have to go down, and the likes of DD gets to stay...he will be left shaking his head for sure...thinking, what else do I have to do......:popcorn:

BubbleGumPlant

Jul 2, 2012
I would love to see him stay, but this is probably where it's all going...poor kid will have to go down, and the likes of DD gets to stay...he will be left shaking his head for sure...thinking, what else do I have to do......:popcorn:

He can work on his stamina for one. He could also learn to protect the puck a little more in the cycle. He did this very well at 235lbs but at 220lbs now, he still needs more playing time to adjust his game slightly. If mgmt explains to McCarron that eventually they see him in a 2nd / 3rd line role instead of a 3rd / 4th line role, he'll understand and see the value of playing big minutes in the AHL.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

Let's not pretend that he's a perfect player. He's a 3rd liner right now, there's a lot he can improve on in the AHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Going to be interesting to see what kind of season he has, hope they don't yo-yo him though, give him time to work on things in a less pressure fueled environment.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Happy that he was sent down to be honest. I hope he is relied upon in a go-to capacity in the top6, on the PP, on the PK, as the extra-man, etc.

If not, then sure, come up and be a Brian Boyle. But we should at least entertain the idea of developing him properly.

Happy for him and the IceCaps. Good move.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Happy that he was sent down to be honest. I hope he is relied upon in a go-to capacity in the top6, on the PP, on the PK, as the extra-man, etc.

If not, then sure, come up and be a Brian Boyle. But we should at least entertain the idea of developing him properly.

Agree, fine tuning his Offensive game in the AHL is not a bad thing,

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Right move to start in the AHL this season; likely to be first injury call up. Hoping they keep him at C in the AHL.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

yeah i still see top 6 potential in him. Better developed in STJ on a 1st line then a 4th in MTL.

Let's see what Carr can bring.

I like Big Mac on the wing but we could definitely use an upgrade in both our middle 6 center positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad