Player Discussion Michael Grabner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Re-sign this man!

Yes, he won`t be too expensive - he is our best pk guy and one of AV best players in his puck dump & skate/chase AV system. It make no sense to move him, and I don`t care about his age - he is still one our fastest guys on the ice compare to youngsters and newly drafted like Lias Andersson.
And not sure if AV is still here end of the season, but Grabner is a solid keep. It was a huge mistake by Islanders to let him go some years ago. :)

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
What's he gonna get on the market? He'll be coming off back-to-back 20-goal campaigns, he has tremendous speed which everyone covets, PKs, is great at the end of games, and could easily be wearing a letter. He's also on a team that gets a lot of exposure and is successful, which further drives up that price. I obviously want him back but I'm worried about what he'll command.

Reactions: eco's bones and Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
What's he gonna get on the market? He'll be coming off back-to-back 20-goal campaigns, he has tremendous speed which everyone covets, PKs, is great at the end of games, and could easily be wearing a letter. He's also on a team that gets a lot of exposure and is successful, which further drives up that price. I obviously want him back but I'm worried about what he'll command.

Yes within reasons, but he is 30 and the GM`s knows this and Grabner knows with a discount contract - he will be on the orginial 6 team who always compete for playoffs each year. And with a core that always battle and never gives up, resilient team - we were behind twice vs Nucks on sunday - we battle back and to get our 2 pts. and soon a record home winning streak! :)
He is playing with Miller & Zucc two great players - he is not a 4th line guy and I hope AV give him a chance to find chemistry with Miller & Zucci who can feed him plays when Miller don`t finish plays as he should, because he has a great shot he use too seldom. I can compare Miller to Derick Brassard shot which he use too seldom.

I know Grabner don`t have too many fans here on HF since he is from EU, but he is playing very well with Miller & Zuci, and he had a great season last year as well.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Assuming he doesn't drop off too much, I think his cost is going to be a lot higher than we might realize.

He's a 30 year old winger who plays the PK, can be dropped into multiple situations, nets 25-30 goals, and has one of the most sought-after attributes in today's NHL - speed.

I think he's the right fit for this team, but I also think he knows that this is probably his last best chance at a very good contract.

The hard part is that someone is going to be looking for their "Carl Hagelin" type addition at this year's deadline and his return is likely to be very tempting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ori

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I'd give him a few years @ $2.5-2.8m and hope he accepts it.

Chimera was coming off a 20/20 season and got 2.25m

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If he is in the 30 goal range (or above), that's a very real possibility.

And that's the problem. I want him back but most definitely not at 4M/year. But to think he's going to take a deal for like 2 years 5 mil or 3 years 7.5 mil from us coming off a 27 and possible 30 year deal I think is just entirely unreasonable.

He actually has the 12th most 5v5 goals in the league since last year and third highest G/60.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Re-sign this man!

Yeah I think I remember saying the same thing about a month ago but someone should bring up re-signing him every so often. I'm not even interested in trading him unless we get something like a 1st rounder for him but even if we did trade him I'd be after him in the off season. He'd be a priority. Grabner is kind of like fine wine--he's getting better as he ages. That speed--the way he jumps on opposition mistakes with the puck and he's got a tricky shot--that one he scored yesterday ain't the first time I saw that. Great on the PK--great at protecting a one goal lead. Clutch goal scoring. Wish he were a better playmaker but I guess you can't have everything.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah I think I remember saying the same thing about a month ago but someone should bring up re-signing him every so often. I'm not even interested in trading him unless we get something like a 1st rounder for him but even if we did trade him I'd be after him in the off season. He'd be a priority. Grabner is kind of like fine wine--he's getting better as he ages. That speed--the way he jumps on opposition mistakes with the puck and he's got a tricky shot--that one he scored yesterday ain't the first time I saw that. Great on the PK--great at protecting a one goal lead. Clutch goal scoring. Wish he were a better playmaker but I guess you can't have everything.

I think his mind has caught up to his feet

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Grabner, in many ways, is the engine of this team. You saw what happened when the Rangers got rid of their last engine (Hagelin) - it wasn't pretty. The Rangers have a tough decision to make because Grabner won't come cheap.

Reactions: Larrybiv and bl02

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Grabner, in many ways, is the engine of this team. You saw what happened when the Rangers got rid of their last engine (Hagelin) - it wasn't pretty. The Rangers have a tough decision to make because Grabner won't come cheap.
You can also see the risk of signing this type of player for too much if you look at Hagelin currently.

IMO if Grabs is happy here and is willing to take a reasonable hit to stay here, I'd be very happy to have him. If he wants to cash in on his goal numbers and max out his deal, that's certainly within his rights but I wouldn't want him to do it here.

Reactions: Edge and mrjiggyfly

mrjiggyfly

Jun 1, 2011
Las Vegas, NV

Nice Post. I think it's a great way to proceed. Didn't he say that he could have got more originally from other teams but that he liked the system and New York. I might be making that up. So move him to a real contender at the deadline for most likely an early second rounder (most likely?) Nashville seems like good spot off the top of my head.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
You can also see the risk of signing this type of player for too much if you look at Hagelin currently.

IMO if Grabs is happy here and is willing to take a reasonable hit to stay here, I'd be very happy to have him. If he wants to cash in on his goal numbers and max out his deal, that's certainly within his rights but I wouldn't want him to do it here.

Agreed. Im just saying I feel that Grabner is one of those players who is more valuable than his stat line. Hes a guy you can move up and down the lineup and will speed up any line he is on. In a league that is predicated on speed more and more each day, that is quite a luxury. Not worth breaking the bank for, but does a re-tooling on the fly type of team really have cap troubles that would prohibit overpaying this guy by $500K-1M per year? Given his importance, I think not.

Reactions: eco's bones

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Agreed with all the Grabner love... but are we all just gonna pretend that goal wasn't awful goaltending by Markstrom?

heres hoping his age and past inconsistency keep his price low.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Agreed. Im just saying I feel that Grabner is one of those players who is more valuable than his stat line. Hes a guy you can move up and down the lineup and will speed up any line he is on. In a league that is predicated on speed more and more each day, that is quite a luxury. Not worth breaking the bank for, but does a re-tooling on the fly type of team really have cap troubles that would prohibit overpaying this guy by $500K-1M per year? Given his importance, I think not.
Fair enough, depends on what his money comes out to even after a modest overpayment.

I agree that his speed and versatility is extremely valuable. Also seems to keep himself in really great shape based on pretty much any photo of him without all the gear on. Not sure if that's always been the case or if he's taken it more seriously over the years as I never followed him very closely before he came here, but it's good to see when we're talking about a somewhat older player going forward.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'd rather give Grabner a $4mil per contract than Rick Nash as in you have one player that's putting two really solid years together and seems to be getting better as he ages and the other one who is a few years older whose been on a decline for a while.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I would love to resign him and I'm glad at least he's getting some positive recognition.
This guy has been on the Fast level. Gives you everything and more. His work ethic, combined with his speed and hockey sense is so important. You saw it in a game like yesterday.
Unfortunately, He's probably not gonna accept a price we can afford but Gorton should at least try. 2.5 per for 2 years.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Agreed with all the Grabner love... but are we all just gonna pretend that goal wasn't awful goaltending by Markstrom?

heres hoping his age and past inconsistency keep his price low.

He deserves the love and he leads the league in third period goals which is mind boggling considering he gets zero powerplay time. I know some are empty netters but still a guy making a million bucks showing up in third periods when it counts. His inconsistency seemed to have been left in toronto. Hasn't followed him to NY thats for sure. Just imagine how worse off our pk would be without him as well

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think his mind has caught up to his feet

I think a lot of it is also how he is deployed. Being in a role where he can be plug-in player and not have to "drive" an offense has helped him considerably.

The challenge for Grabner in a lot of other stops was that he was still "young enough" that people put all kinds of expectations on him. They saw the speed, they saw that he was a physical specimen, and they had certain expectations.

I think the Rangers had a pretty clear vision of what they wanted to be and how they wanted to use (a Hagelin replacement). The higher level of production is a bonus.

Grabner, more or less, goes out there and keeps it within his wheelhouse. The Rangers, more or less, keep him within his wheelhouse. It's a good match.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

It's funny you should mention Hagelin. In my mind, Grabner feels a lot older than him. But the reality is that he's only 10 months older.

I also agree with the concerns about going long-term or too high on the terms, and Hagelin is also a prime example of that.

Like Grabner, Hagelin looks very good in the right role, in the right system, with the right linemates, and with the right usage. You stray from that and it starts to go off the rails. You get tempted by the speed and try to put him in a role with a brighter spotlight, it starts to go astray as well.

Unfortunately, that can also create a challenge when trying to find the right number. If I'm the Rangers, I'd love to do a two year deal at $2.5-$2.8. But I'm also pretty darn sure that there is going to be at least one team out there who goes significantly higher.

It quickly becomes a catch-22. He's too important to let go and not feel the consequences, but not quite the type of player you necessarily feel comfortable over-extending for.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
He deserves the love and he leads the league in third period goals which is mind boggling considering he gets zero powerplay time. I know some are empty netters but still a guy making a million bucks showing up in third periods when it counts. His inconsistency seemed to have been left in toronto. Hasn't followed him to NY thats for sure. Just imagine how worse off our pk would be without him as well

just for perspective, half of his 3rd period goals are empty netters.

I still agree with your overall point though

Reactions: bl02
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad