Michael Grabner

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Its amazing that 21 games into the year he is still looking for his first goal of the season. That would have been hard to predict and unfortunately it makes his trade value = 0 right now also.

Wendigo

Nov 27, 2013
I had some hopes for this guy, he's definitely a north-south skater with lots of speed, not a lot of lateral movement; sort of like Tie without, you know, all those side-benefits of intimidating other players, and serving knuckle sandwiches.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
He is really fast and it allows him to create a some good chances for himself but hes got zero finish so far. Hes gotten really limited opportunity but really hasnt looked like he deserves a bump up. I guess the only bright spot of his season so far has been the PK.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Reminds me of a softer Grabovski, or Raymond without the finish.

Would love to get another guy on his line who can keep up with him, meaning allot of 2 on 1's and not just him rifling that puck into the goalie.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Grabner is rush player with a cycle coach.

He would have looked good with Kessel as one of the few guys who could keep up with him.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Reminds me of a softer Grabovski, or Raymond without the finish.

Would love to get another guy on his line who can keep up with him, meaning allot of 2 on 1's and not just him rifling that puck into the goalie.

This is what has been so confusing for me. He used to be a great finisher. Not just the 'nose for the net' type that get's 20 goals, but a real shooter. He could flat out snipe when he first joined the Islanders. One 30 goal season, a 20 goal season, and a 20 goal-pace season.

I remember laughing that Vancouver let him go for nothing, while he filled the net with some highlight quality stuff. Did injuries ruin his shot? He had a concussion and hernia surgery in 2014. But, if anything, I would expect that would hurt his speed, and it clearly hasn't.

Where did the shot go?

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
This is what has been so confusing for me. He used to be a great finisher. Not just the 'nose for the net' type that get's 20 goals, but a real shooter. He could flat out snipe when he first joined the Islanders. One 30 goal season, a 20 goal season, and a 20 goal-pace season.

I remember laughing that Vancouver let him go for nothing, while he filled the net with some highlight quality stuff. Did injuries ruin his shot? He had a concussion and hernia surgery in 2014. But, if anything, I would expect that would hurt his speed, and it clearly hasn't.

Where did the shot go?

He stopped getting big-minutes with Johnny T.

Jason Blake syndrome (Yashin)

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
I'm still a big fan of his. He had two really good seasons a few years ago and opposing defenses really had to change their approach when he was on the ice. It seemed like over time, opposing teams eventually figured him out and his production plummeted. I'm still a fan of the guy and hope he can turn things around fast in Toronto

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He's had some really good chances unfortunately he's had some stone hands as well... gripping the stick really tight.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
He's had some really good chances unfortunately he's had some stone hands as well... gripping the stick really tight.

Yeah he's seemed to develop a bad case of stone hands over the past few years..with his speed, he always happened to get 1-3 breakaways a game, but rarely be able to finish. It would get pretty frustrating

champs*

Yeah he's seemed to develop a bad case of stone hands over the past few years..with his speed, he always happened to get 1-3 breakaways a game, but rarely be able to finish. It would get pretty frustrating

and we also have this guy Shawn Matthias that gets breakaways every game too but cant score :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
None of those players traded would have even gotten you a 7th round pick. Better off with Grabner, 1 year left on his contract, and he can MAYBE give you a 7th round draft pick with salary retained + you empty contract slots. Sure, they are prospects, but we also have Scouts on the team that know more then all of us.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Its amazing that 21 games into the year he is still looking for his first goal of the season. That would have been hard to predict and unfortunately it makes his trade value = 0 right now also.

Not that hard to predict as this is why he was made available by the Islanders in the first place. Junk for junk type trade from the onset.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Ignoring his cavernous offensive output, would you say he is a worthwhile player on the PK and in general on the defensive side of the puck? My general feeling watching him is that he is good defensively and is good on the PK but maybe one of our local advanced stat gurus could confirm my eye test.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Don't think any team would trade for him as I just don't see any teams would give up a pick for him. Sure he is good at PK and the 4th line but which contenders and pretenders don't have a player or two like that already. Teams like Chicago, LA..will always look for depth DMen and depth scoring come TDL. Guys like PAP, Polak, And maybe Spaling will be attractive.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Don't think any team would trade for him as I just don't see any teams would give up a pick for him. Sure he is good at PK and the 4th line but which contenders and pretenders don't have a player or two like that already. Teams like Chicago, LA..will always look for depth DMen and depth scoring come TDL. Guys like PAP, Polak, And maybe Spaling will be attractive.

There will definitely be options. Also it seems pretty common that for whatever reason, players that are acquired at the deadline for depth just seem to go on huge tears, ex. Stafford last season for the Jets, or how about the time HF went crazy when Stempniak scored 14 goals, 18 points in 18 games with the Coyotes after the deadline when he was so bad with us? Some players just get huge wake up calls when they are moved at the deadline, I can see this happening with Grabner.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The Montreal Canadians traded Kordic to Toronto for Russ Courtnall. They were impressed with his speed, but realized he had never seen the defensive side of the game. They put him in a new role and taught him the defensive side of things. Has Babcock just realized that Grabner needed to 'rebuild' his game? And now that he has, expanding that role?

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
There will definitely be options. Also it seems pretty common that for whatever reason, players that are acquired at the deadline for depth just seem to go on huge tears, ex. Stafford last season for the Jets, or how about the time HF went crazy when Stempniak scored 14 goals, 18 points in 18 games with the Coyotes after the deadline when he was so bad with us? Some players just get huge wake up calls when they are moved at the deadline, I can see this happening with Grabner.

Booth last year went on a big tear after he realized there wasn't any demand for him at the deadline.

MapleLeaf

Sep 29, 2015
When the Leafs acquired him, I was expecting him to play somewhere on the top two offensive lines. Maybe he will be a good fit going forward with Kadri and Komarov. I know it is only one game and hopefully this can continue...his speed is deadly!

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I've been impressed with Grabner lately. He's proving himself to be a fairly useful player. I can see a playoff team having interest in him at the deadline. He'd be a solid pickup to round out a 4th line on a contender.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
When teams are adding a player at the trade deadline they are looking for more than offense. In Grabner's case, he can boost a team's PK and give them a bottom 6 forward who is skilled enough to do those little things like breakouts and cycling well. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Grabner is traded then returns in the off-season as a re-invented inexpensive role player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad