Value of: Michael Ferland

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
A player is worth whatever a team will pay. Based on the high amount of interest in this thread, a lot of teams want him, so the price goes up. I think he'd bring in a late first easily.

Trading him for a late first makes no sense. The first could turn into a.... Ferland :laugh:

We would need a more proven piece coming back IMO. And I doubt we get what we would need to trade him. So yeah, very doubtful he's moved.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Trading him for a late first makes no sense. The first could turn into a.... Ferland :laugh:

We would need a more proven piece coming back IMO. And I doubt we get what we would need to trade him. So yeah, very doubtful he's moved.

I'd take a first and run with it. As a fan of his I would be upset, but a first is a first.

Hathaway, Bouma, Stajan and Hamilton make a decent 4th line.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I'd take a first and run with it. As a fan of his I would be upset, but a first is a first.

Late firsts bust about 2/3 of the time.
You got about a 30% chance at a solid NHLer.
Or about a 1/15 chance of getting an impact player.

I don't like those odds.

And then you consider this draft is weak...

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Late firsts bust about 2/3 of the time.
You got about a 30% chance at a solid NHLer.
Or about a 1/15 chance of getting an impact player.

I don't like those odds.

And then you consider this draft is weak...

Ferland isn't quite a boat so I'll go for the box

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Can see Vegas claiming him so we would lose him regardless

How so?

Flames can protect 7 forwards;

Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett, Brouwer, Backlund, Frolik, Ferland

Who do you see them protecting instead?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don't believe he is being used properly in Calgary, but could be a force in the right situation. He's a big body with great speed and puck carrying ability. Obviously he's got a physical element to his game, but he's a much more skilled player than the current coaching staff gives him credit for - the guy has legit 20g+ powerforward potential IMO

6 goals in 8 games since being used properly, he's got Johnny and Monahan playing their best hockey of the year. Anyone in this thread ready to eat some crow?

Ferland gets many of his points on turnovers. He's an ideal energy guy but has done nothing to show that he is a bonafide top 6 forwards or belongs on a PP. Ferland may develop into something more, but your assessment is wrong. The flames are not misusing him.

Ferland is not high skilled. He's a fast physical guy with a descent release. The intensity of his game is also highest when his ice time is limited. In other words an excellent bottom 6 guy.

You care to amend your statement?

Would you still take a first and run with it?

LUV Carti*

Mar 3, 2017
Kiss Land
He's not available. He has a rare blend of speed, physicality, rocket of a shot and hands. Who knows what he'll be in two years.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
6 goals in 8 games since being used properly, he's got Johnny and Monahan playing their best hockey of the year. Anyone in this thread ready to eat some crow?

You care to amend your statement?

Would you still take a first and run with it?

It's great to see him doing well, but this isn't the first time he was placed on the top line, saw a hot streak, then drifted off. I'd love to see him continue this play, but I wouldn't bet on it. I hope I'm wrong though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's great to see him doing well, but this isn't the first time he was placed on the top line, saw a hot streak, then drifted off. I'd love to see him continue this play, but I wouldn't bet on it. I hope I'm wrong though.
No kidding, it's 8 games. He had 7 real good games against the Canucks in the playoffs and then looked mediocre for the next year.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah he's been a stud. Now he's translating his game to the top line.

I took huge flack for saying what I've said about this guy over the years. He's just got so much skill. If he can find consistency he'll be a modern day Bertuzzi pre-Steve Moore.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I mean what your describing hasn't even happened this season, it's like you are already assuming that his play is going to fall off lol. When did he ever do what you have described? If you can be specific that would be helpful.

I don't think anyone expects him to score at a 60 goal pace, but he's very easily a 20-30 goal power forward when given the chance.

No kidding, it's 8 games. He had 7 real good games against the Canucks in the playoffs and then looked mediocre for the next year.

He looked fine the next year, just had terrible puck luck. He shot at like 3%.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
How so?

Flames can protect 7 forwards;

Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett, Brouwer, Backlund, Frolik, Ferland

Who do you see them protecting instead?

They'll protect Ferland

It's between Lazar and Brouwer

Ferland has been very inconsistent but who wants to gamble that he wont find the consistency? Especially they way he is playing right now.

It's moronic to trade him for a pick unless it's a lottery pick.

The Flames (Tod Button) have had little success in the first round outside of the lottery. I wouldn't trade Ferland for a fricking pick even a 1st rounder

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I mean what your describing hasn't even happened this season, it's like you are already assuming that his play is going to fall off lol. When did he ever do what you have described? If you can be specific that would be helpful.

I don't think anyone expects him to score at a 60 goal pace, but he's very easily a 20-30 goal power forward when given the chance.

He looked fine the next year, just had terrible puck luck. He shot at like 3%.

Fairly often. Ferland is a pretty inconsistent player. Ferlands emotions can really dictate his play. When he's fired up, he's very effective. The problem is that tenacity isn't always there. When it's gone, he's a serviceable bottom 6 forward, nothing more. Even when he was a Wheat King, this was often the case (granted, not as drastic).

He's doing really well right now, but so is the entire team minus the Bennett line. He's on a line with a hot Gaudreau/Monahan, and the defense has been putting up a lot more offense as well. Yes, he had a 3% shooting %, but his goal total wasn't his only issue last year. The tenacity that he's shown was missing as well. He's also shooting at about 32% over the last 8 games.

As I've said, I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong here. On paper, he's an incredible fit on the top line. I just don't see him being able to do this consistently. I do think he'll be more than a bottom 6 forward, but I don't see him being a top line guy either. I think he'll cap out at about 20g/20a if things go well.

Last edited:

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Ferland having a breakout year should end up with 15-18 goals, for his next contract that's at least $2M-$2.5M per range on a bridge, as besides the goals he's a great power type forward.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
A month ago I would've taken the first. Now he's playing like the player I always wanted him to be.

First isn't good enough now. Even assuming he'll come back to earth. Nice to know his ceiling is so high.

Aug 3, 2010

Even if he is/will be streaky and inconsistent, he is still a good player with the tools at his disposal.

He's everything Calgary wanted Rene Bourque to be.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
People just don't really see Ferland's upside. They look at the round he was drafted in, and then see the year he was drafted in, and look at his point totals, and think they have him figured out.

This is Ferland's 2nd full season. Is he a finished product?

He was a late starter to hockey. He had fitness issues and also battled personal issues up until 2 seasons ago - Hartley helped to get him straightened out IIRC.

You watch this kid with the puck, and you start seeing the upside. You see him shoot the puck, and you realize he has a really good shot. He is a fantastic skater, and his hits are absolutely devastating. Then you scratch your head and wonder why he just isn't putting up better numbers.

Well, he is now. He is still very much a work in progress. Not every player is a finished product at age 22. I would bet that Ferland (and I said this a few years ago) would have a few 30 goal seasons in him - his shot is that good, his hands are that soft.

Lofty expectations? Zero-in on him next time. Kid does everything so well. People just see his hits and pigeon-hole him as a grinder, maybe even a fighter, and that's it. He is a very unique story and he does possess a very unique skill-set.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
The only player I'd trade him that I think would be fair and not unreasonable is Calle Jarnkrok. Jarnkrok is better defensively, but Ferland is far more physical while not being a sloch himself. Solves a handed balance. I think the Flames would have to add. I'd do Ferland + B prospect (Center and LW are biggest need for Nashville) for Jarnkrok.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Jarnkrok (Try him on the top line and see what he can do)
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Lazar
Bouma-Stajan-Hathaway/Chiasson

Forsberg-Johansen-Arvidsson
Ferland/Fiala-Fisher-Neal
Fiala/Ferland-Kamenev-Smith
Watson-Sissons-McLeod/Salomaki

This is under the assumption that Wilson is claimed. Personally as a Preds fan as well I'd rather lose Wilson and Jarnkrok and get Ferland and a B prospect instead of just losing Jarnkrok (Most likely that Vegas claims him) and getting nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad