Value of: Michael Ferland

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Ferland is a middle-6 power forward, treat his value accordingly.

2nd and 3rd for picks, or a younger forward.

Don't think the Flames are willing to part ways with him.

Middle six forwards with consistent physical play are worth more than 2nds or 3rds...

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I don't believe he is being used properly in Calgary, but could be a force in the right situation. He's a big body with great speed and puck carrying ability. Obviously he's got a physical element to his game, but he's a much more skilled player than the current coaching staff gives him credit for - the guy has legit 20g+ powerforward potential IMO

Currently has 8g, 15p with almost no PP time and only 10:40 TOI/game, playing with stars like Matt Stajan and Lance Bouma.

What's he worth?

Ferland gets many of his points on turnovers. He's an ideal energy guy but has done nothing to show that he is a bonafide top 6 forwards or belongs on a PP. Ferland may develop into something more, but your assessment is wrong. The flames are not misusing him.

Ferland is not high skilled. He's a fast physical guy with a descent release. The intensity of his game is also highest when his ice time is limited. In other words an excellent bottom 6 guy.

member 88115

Would love Ferland in LA. After the Expansion draft, maybe McNabb for Ferland.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What would it cost from Detroit?
I can't see him getting moved. The Flames want him to develop into a middle six power forward and believe he can do it. So to get them to move him it would have to be something to make it worth their while and I cannot see a team ponying it up

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
What's he worth? A 2nd or a 3rd+.

Should Calgary trade him for that? Absolutely not.

I've seen him play up close, they guy can create momentum from almost anything.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

This is kind it, thank you. I'm not the biggest Ferland fan myself, but I am willing to admit the team seems to be high on him. I think they value you him similar to how Chicago valued Brouwer and the cost would be similar to get the Flames to trade him. So I think it costs a 1st round pick to get him, even though he's not worth a 1st round pick.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
This is kind it, thank you. I'm not the biggest Ferland fan myself, but I am willing to admit the team seems to be high on him. I think they value you him similar to how Chicago valued Brouwer and the cost would be similar to get the Flames to trade him. So I think it costs a 1st round pick to get him, even though he's not worth a 1st round pick.

It's a matter of trading something that gets Calgary's attention. Hansen is in a similar situation here, where it would likely be best to trade him based on his deployment and given that we might lose him to the expansion draft, but we won't get what we need to move him. No one is offering a 1st for Hansen, and I get it, but that means I would much rather accommodate Hansen and move someone else and make Hansen work.

Cross out Hansen, write in Ferland instead, there isn't a "fair price" that both sides agree upon, so it benefits Calgary most to simply keep him.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I would love him on the Blues! As others have stated, I think Calgary would be foolish to move him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's a matter of trading something that gets Calgary's attention. Hansen is in a similar situation here, where it would likely be best to trade him based on his deployment and given that we might lose him to the expansion draft, but we won't get what we need to move him. No one is offering a 1st for Hansen, and I get it, but that means I would much rather accommodate Hansen and move someone else and make Hansen work.

Cross out Hansen, write in Ferland instead, there isn't a "fair price" that both sides agree upon, so it benefits Calgary most to simply keep him.
Yeah, the only way a guy like that is dealt is if a team is desperate, for lack of a better term. Which is why I brought up Brouwer being dealt from the Hawks, I don't think there was a single one of us that thought he was worth the 1st round pick that the Capitals paid but obviously the Hawks weren't eager to dump him and the Caps were desperate enough to meet that price.

It's refreshing seeing an opposition fan giving a fair opinion, thank you.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah, the only way a guy like that is dealt is if a team is desperate, for lack of a better term. Which is why I brought up Brouwer being dealt from the Hawks, I don't think there was a single one of us that thought he was worth the 1st round pick that the Capitals paid but obviously the Hawks weren't eager to dump him and the Caps were desperate enough to meet that price.

It's refreshing seeing an opposition fan giving a fair opinion, thank you.

Not a problem, it's not an uncommon situation with certain players, and Ferland destroyed the Canucks in the playoffs a few seasons ago. We know what the guy can do.

If you do get desperate to move him though, we always have use for a guy like him though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not a problem, it's not an uncommon situation with certain players, and Ferland destroyed the Canucks in the playoffs a few seasons ago. We know what the guy can do.

If you do get desperate to move him though, we always have use for a guy like him though.
In all honesty Bieksa made him look even more effective than he actually is :laugh:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Does he have his off-ice situation under control?

Ferland isn't Kane, he actually suffered a lot as a kid and got into a drunken state both by environment and weak will (I don't fault him, but there are people who don't get into it). Thankfully he's improved a lot, and was always a team player and classy unlike that POS E. Kane.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Ferland isn't Kane, he actually suffered a lot as a kid and got into a drunken state both by environment and weak will (I don't fault him, but there are people who don't get into it). Thankfully he's improved a lot, and was always a team player and classy unlike that POS E. Kane.

You ever been to Swan River?

He's doing a lot better than some of my family that stayed there haha. Also the reason I own Ferlands Jersey so they can't trade him.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

A player is worth whatever a team will pay. Based on the high amount of interest in this thread, a lot of teams want him, so the price goes up. I think he'd bring in a late first easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad