Value of: Michael Ferland

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don't believe he is being used properly in Calgary, but could be a force in the right situation. He's a big body with great speed and puck carrying ability. Obviously he's got a physical element to his game, but he's a much more skilled player than the current coaching staff gives him credit for - the guy has legit 20g+ powerforward potential IMO

Currently has 8g, 15p with almost no PP time and only 10:40 TOI/game, playing with stars like Matt Stajan and Lance Bouma.

What's he worth?

Reactions: Sk8M8

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Pesce.

Basically, why would we trade him?

We need more depth up front, not less. Or a top 4 D.

Trading Ferland will solve neither problem.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
He's been given shots in the top 6, nothing has clicked.

I want him to be a lifer on the Flames. Ferland - Stajan - Hathaway is the most effective fourth line we've had in as long as I can remember. I will go so far as to say I want to protect him in the draft.

Next year he will have a chance to fight to be on Backlunds wing or to be part of what is hopefully a Tkachuk and Bennett line.

Tkachuk - Bennett - Ferland would be an unreal second/third line. He has all the opportunity in the world to move up if he continues progressing.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yep honestly I have no problem keeping Ferland on the fourth line. He has the talent to play higher in the lineup but always seems to struggle when doing so.

But it just allows him to carry that fourth line and make it effective. I hope he signs a long term deal at around 1.5 million. Then he can play with two scrubs league minimum guys like Hathaway and F. Hamilton, so we can have a cheap yet effective fourth line.

If he can play higher as time moves on, than its a bonus. But he's effective right now.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I would think a team like the Hurricanes would be interested. Maybe something around Ryan Murphy?

I'd prefer Ferland to Murphy all day.

The team needs for Calgary are scoring depth and a defensive minded partner for Brodie. We also wouldn't mind adding a scoring RW given the opportunity.

Barring a return like that we're better off keeping Ferland we become a very soft team upfront without him and we need him to be a shooting threat in the bottom 6.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Yep honestly I have no problem keeping Ferland on the fourth line. He has the talent to play higher in the lineup but always seems to struggle when doing so.

But it just allows him to carry that fourth line and make it effective. I hope he signs a long term deal at around 1.5 million.

If he can play higher as time moves on, than its a bonus. But he's effective right now.

I'd be happy giving him Bouma's contract which was an overpayment for Bouma but Ferland has earned it.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Ferland is a middle-6 power forward, treat his value accordingly.

2nd and 3rd for picks, or a younger forward.

Don't think the Flames are willing to part ways with him.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Doesn't make sense to trade him just because he's playing a 4th line role (very effectively I might add), even though he can play higher up.

He's young, fast, cheap, and plays hard. No need to move him.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Worth way more to the Flames than what he'd bring back in a trade.

Can see Vegas claiming him so we would lose him regardless

Why wouldn't Ferland be protected?

What about Nathan Beaulieu for Ferland?

Less than 30 games of Beaulieu isn't worth Ferland.

The Flames aren't going the 8 skaters route just to protect Beaulieu and therefore lose Frolik. So he most likely gets lost to Vegas and the Flames lose one of their few physical presences for essentially nothing. Easy no.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
^ yeah trading Ferland for a D would have to occur after expansion. Still I think we keep Ferland and look at trading picks for a #4 D.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Ferland has potential to be good middle six player, but at the moment he better fit in the 4th line with Stajan and Hathaway. No reason to trade him, he's worth more to Flames than teams would be willing to pay.

and its Micheal ;)

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Not a chance Ferland will be moved or exposed in the expansion draft. He is one of the few power forwards on the team right now who can hit and skate and be disciplined at the same time. He has an untapped offensive game as well and the Flames without a doubt will be protecting him as the team's 7th forward.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The only dude I know who thinks Calgary will expose Ferland to expansion draft on the Flames board is also a dude who has proven time and time again to know more or less nothing.

Whiskey, unfortunately, Ferland has been given time with the Backlund line to start the season, alongside Gaudreau and Monahan and with Bennett, he just doesn't seem to stick for very long. He's found an excellent niche playing on the 4th line in Calgary. That 4th line can stack up to most 3rd lines in the league with Matty Stajan and Garnet Hathaway. The guy is going to be a 10-15/10-15 guy in the league for the next 5-10 years; who brings all kinds of physicality and can skate ridiculously well. No interest in trading him, unless it's a gross overpayment.

Also for the PP comment, Calgary has the 9th best PP in the league, who is suppose to move exactly?

Would expose Brouwer 10/10 times before Ferland.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
The only dude I know who thinks Calgary will expose Ferland to expansion draft on the Flames board is also a dude who has proven time and time again to know more or less nothing.

Whiskey, unfortunately, Ferland has been given time with the Backlund line to start the season, alongside Gaudreau and Monahan and with Bennett, he just doesn't seem to stick for very long. He's found an excellent niche playing on the 4th line in Calgary. That 4th line can stack up to most 3rd lines in the league with Matty Stajan and Garnet Hathaway. The guy is going to be a 10-15/10-15 guy in the league for the next 5-10 years; who brings all kinds of physicality and can skate ridiculously well. No interest in trading him, unless it's a gross overpayment.

Also for the PP comment, Calgary has the 9th best PP in the league, who is suppose to move exactly?

Would expose Brouwer 10/10 times before Ferland.

Ferland should be a staple on this team for years. You absolutely protect him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad