Rumor: Michael DiPietro given permission to seek trade

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Michael Dipietro's best case career trajectory at this rate is probably similar to Spencer Martin—who ironically enough is the goalie that took Dipietro's role within the Canucks org,

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think DiPietro's best chance is waivers or after clearing waivers

Edit: nm seems like he is exempt from waivers?

Last edited:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Arizona has a slot open at backup. Does a low round pick get it done? Maybe some other AHL level prospect?

Can't see it taking more than a 4th. Goalies have really low value on the trade market. Even stars like Hasek and Roy had poor returns when they were traded.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
During the Covid year, when teams were allowed to carry extra players, they let him rot in the press box instead of sending him down to further his development.
Yep. Another failure of the previous "management" team.

Arizona can have DiPietro for a 4th! But wait, there's more! Trade for DiPietro and they can get a Tucker Poolman OR Jason Dickinson for free! In fact, the Canucks will graciously accept a 6th in that case :D

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
KHsmc96.png

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Yep. Another failure of the previous "management" team.

Arizona can have DiPietro for a 4th! But wait, there's more! Trade for DiPietro and they can get a Tucker Poolman OR Jason Dickinson for free! In fact, the Canucks will graciously accept a 6th in that case :D
The more you buy the more you save!

• Haha
Reactions: Soups On

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Can't see it taking more than a 4th. Goalies have really low value on the trade market. Even stars like Hasek and Roy had poor returns when they were traded.
He has no nhl track record. So not much to base a return on.

Also for Mikey, Curtis Sanford has just left his role with Abbotsford that he held while with Utica Comets as the goalie consultant. So, Mikey will be getting a new coach either way.

Not sure he adapted well with the coaching by Clark. He’s a smaller guy compared to the others that Clark has worked with like Bob and the others in CBS, plus Markstrom, Nilsson, Demko, Silovs, and even the 2 guys they drafted the past 2 years in Koskenvuo and Young.

I’d say Nashville with Sarros seems like a fit but they have Ingram there so not a fit depth chart wish, not with Askarov coming.

Not many smaller goalies so the ideal for Dipietro is finding a goalie coach who has works well for a smaller guy. Not sure where that would be.

JTK1967

Jul 15, 2009
Windsor
As a Leaf fan, how about Diper for 2 or 3 AHLers? We (I think) may want to create some more contract spots.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
As a Leaf fan, how about Diper for 2 or 3 AHLers? We (I think) may want to create some more contract spots.
No thanks. Not taking a hit to move him, when he can just be loaned somewhere else or sent to the ECHL. 1 for 1 change of scenery trade, is what makes the most sense

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
He was at one point a very solid prospect who really had his development botched by Benning.

With that being said he was cleared surpassed by Silovs and Spencer Martin.

I'd take a 7th rounder for him.

I think most Canucks fans would take a 7th for him. He has been surpassed by Martin and Silovs in our organization.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Guy has starter potential and is sitting behind a Vezina caliber goalie who is only 26. Makes sense
He really doesn't. Too small and apparently un coachable with a massive ego. What goalie this age demands a trade with those numbers. Story checks out.

JTK1967

Jul 15, 2009
Windsor
He was at one point a very solid prospect who really had his development botched by Benning.

With that being said he was cleared surpassed by Silovs and Spencer Martin.

I'd take a 7th rounder for him.

I think most Canucks fans would take a 7th for him. He has been surpassed by Martin and Silovs in our organization.
True, but you have contract spots open. The Leafs might want to move out a contract or two. Why not do 2 or 3 AHLers who are worth a 7th or more instead of the pick?
I.e Pavel Gogolev+Axel Rindell + Bobby McMann for Dieps

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Hopefully he/his agent drum up some sort of market for him. And by that, i mean i hope he finds a team that is willing to take him on and try to get his career back on track after the recent derailments. Pretty much have to expect that at best, it's one of those situations where some other team has a prospect somewhere in the organization that has been passed on the depth chart/unhappy there for some reason that they can swap for him.

Don't really blame Dipietro for wanted to seek a change of scenery though. His development has been pretty botched, and the writing is clearly on the wall for him when it comes to Vancouver. Being dumped in the ECHL probably isn't going to be the ticket to get things back on track for him...and that's pretty much where it's headed. That's the only place he'd be able to get the games that he needs organizationally, and as a smaller reflex guy, he's also clearly not a great fit for the Canucks goaltending coach Ian Clark.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Might need to add a pick for that
I actually think Poolman has value, based off of what Gudbranson signed for. His migraine issue lowers that value though. I say future considerations, because 2.5m is a bit much for a #5 dman and we just want to dump that salary, which GM's will use to not pay anything for DiPietro.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
True, but you have contract spots open. The Leafs might want to move out a contract or two. Why not do 2 or 3 AHLers who are worth a 7th or more instead of the pick?
I.e Pavel Gogolev+Axel Rindell + Bobby McMann for Dieps
All the reasons you want a contract spot or two open? Yeah us too

Reactions: Red

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad