Mets/Yankees Thread

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It sounds like Cespedes just packed up his stuff and is presumably heading back to his farm in Florida. With the Mets learning mid-game, via his new agent (remember Brodie was his former agent), that he was opting out for the rest of the year.

You really can't make this stuff up. Just another embarrassing moment for one of the worst-run organizations in sports, which is probably competing with Dan Snyder's Washington football team.

Baseball needs to force the Wilpons to sell immediately, or at least take control of the franchise, otherwise they are sure to auction off whatever talent is left for the biggest return in $$$, as opposed to making the best baseball deal.

Since the Wilpons are on their way out, I fully expect them to try and line their pockets however they can. They are probably selling off team memorabilia/historical items at this point.
So Cespedes just up and quit the season without telling the team first? SMFH

Reactions: BTrotts19

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
So Cespedes just up and quit the season without telling the team first? SMFH

Mets are what the Isles were, horrible owners who hire buffoons as GM who hire inept coaches and have a circus around them. Just like the Isles it ends when the Wilpons sell the team and bring in quality front office who command respect.

Last edited:

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
It would not shock me one bit if all this talk of a pending sale results in absolutely nothing and the Wilpons keep the team. Something tells me that family will never relinquish control.

Like, ever.

God I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigtim1988

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
It would net shock me one bit if all this talk of a pending sale results in absolutely nothing and the Wilpons keep the team. Something tells me that family will never relinquish control.

Like, ever.

God I hope I'm wrong.

Under normal circumstances, I too would have my doubts about a sale being completed with those idiots.

However, given the amount of debt they have on the team (and it sounds like they have been increasing it since MLB relaxed the standard debt ratio), loans/bonds they need to pay on the stadium and SNY, coupled with the pandemic (loss of fan attendance and revenue) PLUS the reticence of other owners to extend them anymore loans, I think they will finally be forced to sell.

It also doesn't help them that their real estate business has taken a big hit, Willets Point has been delayed for years and it sounds like the other Wilpons and Katz family members want to cash out. This should finally be the end for them.

The only way I could see them hanging around is if they opt to sell SNY (which is a cash cow under normal circumstances since SNY pays the Mets far below market value for TV rights) and/or they find a sucker to float them some cash, like how they bought the Mets in the first place with Nelson Doubleday as the money man.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
If I am DeGrom I would demand a trade and refuse to pitch for the Mets again . As a lifelong fan it is just disgusting how they have treated this guy. Last time he pitched, they decided to not use Lugo to save him to start and blew the game. They could have pitched him in a DH yesterday where he could have pitched a complete 7 inning game and been ready for the yankees. Instead he leaves with a 4-1 lead and they blow it again. The teams record when he pitches is amazingly bad for a guy with his stats, between not hitting and mismanaging the bullpen in his relief, it is an utter embarrassment. I can't even watch the Mets anymore.. horrible.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Steve Cohen can't get here soon enough. Although watch MLB force a sale to the JLo/Arod group then, in a few years, they get divorced and MLB has another Dodgers situation on their hands, where neither party has the assets to properly run the team. That is so MLB, Wilpons and Mets.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
If I am DeGrom I would demand a trade and refuse to pitch for the Mets again . As a lifelong fan it is just disgusting how they have treated this guy. Last time he pitched, they decided to not use Lugo to save him to start and blew the game. They could have pitched him in a DH yesterday where he could have pitched a complete 7 inning game and been ready for the yankees. Instead he leaves with a 4-1 lead and they blow it again. The teams record when he pitches is amazingly bad for a guy with his stats, between not hitting and mismanaging the bullpen in his relief, it is an utter embarrassment. I can't even watch the Mets anymore.. horrible.

The decision to not start deGrom in the first game back is absolutely baffling. He's well rested, throwing harder than ever... you say "Jake, game 1 is all you" and get a 7-inning CG out of it; save the pen for game 2 (And why was Lugo removed after 9 up and 9 down, 39 pitches?!?!) and then later you get an extra start out of Jake.

Jake should be starting every 5th day, period and you shuffle the other guys around that because the other guys aren't dominant Cy Young guys and Jake is. And you owe it to Jake to give him the 7-inning game when he bullpen has less chances to blow it for him.

Jake has a 2.03 ERA in his last 70 starts and only has 23 wins with 30 no decisions. That's insane.
70 starts:
4+ ER 6 times, 0-4, 2 ND
3 ER 7 times, 0-5, 2 ND

2 ER 16 times, 5-6, 5 ND
1 ER 21 times, 9-2, 10 ND
0 ER 20 times, 9-0, 11 ND

57 starts, 1.28 ERA. more No Decisions than Wins (23 wins, 26 no decisions, 8 losses)

Reactions: JoeM

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Enough is enough. Everyone in Yankees front office has to go.

Injuries cannot be bad luck anymore. Cashman is absolutely inept at putting a good rotation together.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
STEEEEEEVE

SparseSmallAfricanrockpython-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I hope the other MLB owners approve Steve Cohen, because I can't wait to see him lay waste to the Mets front office and team employees who are Wilpon sycophants. It is time for a reckoning and nobody should be safe.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
After today’s Mets TDL haul all I can say is thank God for the Islanders.

Brodie is clueless and pure torture to listen to. Just a terrible GM who not only needs to be fired by Steve Cohen, but should be roughed up by security on his way out.

I loathe Todd Frazier almost as much as Brassard. I can't believe they brought him back again.

I am convinced that the Mets only have scouting reports on like 75 players, which is why we see them recycling retreads like Frazier, Familia, Lagares, Kirk Nieuwenhuis, den Dekker, etc.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Tom Terrific had as perfect a pitching motion as there ever was. Compact left leg raised to chest height, high but not absurdly so, ball hidden behind head and torso till the last possible second, powerful push off the rubber, right knee just grazing the dirt, perfect follow through and finally, just a little hop to bring him utterly square to the batter, ready to field his position. A beautiful thing to watch. Bryan Adams said it best, it was the summer of '69.

RIP

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA