Confirmed with Link: Messier leaves Rangers

chip chipperson*

Pissed off yet leaving on good terms. You might want to rewrite that. FWIW Sather should have never approached him about it--that's if what Messier claims is actually true. Mark may be larger than life but if he wants to coach then he needs to get some experience. No shortcuts. Do the work and show some commitment to it. Simple as that. Just being Mark Messier is not enough.

i will not rewrite that. this is part of the drama queen attitude i spoke of. mess was pissed and rightfully so. but he acted professionally when he decided to leave.

you're correct, sather should never have approached him. this thread should be attacking sather for the way he handled the coaching situation. not attacking messier for leaving an organization on good terms after not landing a job that he was approached about.

chip chipperson*

1994 Champs.

1979 Stanley Cup Finals. Rangers 40 win underdogs get to the Finals against 52 win dominant Canadiens team.

1972 Stanley Cup Finals. Every game the Rangers lose in the 6 game series is by ONE goal, with exception to game 6. Again dominant Bruins team.

1950 Stanley Cup Finals. Rangers can't play a single playoff game on home ice because of the Circus. Game 7 double overtime. Pete Babando scores.

1940 Champs.

1937 Stanley Cup Final. Rangers lose 3 games to 2. Goal differential? One goal.

1933 Champs.

1932 Stanley Cup Final. Lost handily.

1929 Stanley Cup Final. Lost handily.

1928 Champs.

I didn't even have to look any of that up. But you knew all of that, right? Because you know everything to back up that pompous know-it-all attitude, right?

You know about the political landscape of the NHL through that "6 team" era, right? Such as the Canadiens and Maple Leafs rights within a 50 mile radius, prime player development areas, and the Canadiens had been granted special drafts to maintain rights to players other teams couldn't touch. James Norris basically owned in one way or another the Red Wings, Blackhawks, Rangers, and Bruins at once "The Norris House League". You knew that right? Rangers had to lose high profile players to the second world war. Rangers couldn't play home playoff games...ever.

dropping knowledge.

Wamsutta

I'm Glen Sather IRL
Nov 8, 2011
Connecticut
He didn't get the coach job, and he was NEVER going to get the GM job, there was nothing left here for him. I dont' blame him for moving on. I hope he's successful.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
1994 Champs.

1979 Stanley Cup Finals. Rangers 40 win underdogs get to the Finals against 52 win dominant Canadiens team.

1972 Stanley Cup Finals. Every game the Rangers lose in the 6 game series is by ONE goal, with exception to game 6. Again dominant Bruins team.

1950 Stanley Cup Finals. Rangers can't play a single playoff game on home ice because of the Circus. Game 7 double overtime. Pete Babando scores.

1940 Champs.

1937 Stanley Cup Final. Rangers lose 3 games to 2. Goal differential? One goal.

1933 Champs.

1932 Stanley Cup Final. Lost handily.

1929 Stanley Cup Final. Lost handily.

1928 Champs.

I didn't even have to look any of that up. But you knew all of that, right? Because you know everything to back up that pompous know-it-all attitude, right?

You know about the political landscape of the NHL through that "6 team" era, right? Such as the Canadiens and Maple Leafs rights within a 50 mile radius, prime player development areas, and the Canadiens had been granted special drafts to maintain rights to players other teams couldn't touch. James Norris basically owned in one way or another the Red Wings, Blackhawks, Rangers, and Bruins at once "The Norris House League". You knew that right? Rangers had to lose high profile players to the second world war. Rangers couldn't play home playoff games...ever.

Thanks for the needless history lesson. I did know that, all of it...I know, I know, that only adds to my "know-it-all attitude" Sorry. :(

Im simply asking you why you feel the need to produce a litany of excuses as to why this organization has struggled over the last several decades.

6 Stanley Cup finals in their first 14 years of existence in a 6 team league. Way to go! 4 Stanley Cup finals since - in 73 years. And when pressed for a reason as to why thats the case, the best answer you can come up with is a few bad bounces. Thats a crock. Next time you address me, be prepared to discuss the litany of managerial mistakes over those decades. Because, at this point, I feel sorry for you and your state of complacency.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Whether justified or not, if he feels under-appreciated he's doing the right thing for himself by leaving the organization. Best of luck in your future endeavors, Mark.

“I have tremendous respect for the coaching fraternity and for the art of coaching,” Messier told The Post. “I don’t take it lightly. I understand the benefit of experience.

“But I have a lot of experience in this game and in winning. I’m not 32. I’m 52. There’s a little bit of water under the bridge. I’ve learned a lot. My experience shouldn’t be discounted or under-appreciated, either.”

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I must admit, I understand Messier's point of view based on Brooks' article today. I always figured Messier interjected himself into the coaching search. The fact that Sather approached him about it, then turned around referenced lack of experience -- an issue that was there since the beginning, is pretty slimy and unprofessional on Sather's part.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The funniest thing about all of this is that the kingsbridge armory will not be very successful.
"

Unless there are some great programs and funding setup to assist the local citizens in the Bronx area, you are right. Public skating sessions will lose their luster after a while and will be a seasonal draw. Theyll have the ability to have some nice events there but the real question is will the place be full on a daily basis...thats a lot of rinks and a lot of Ice time to fill.

Multi-rink operations get their money through hockey and figure skating and sooner or later the more privileged, out-of-towner is going to be using the facilities, not the local people which is part of the pitch of the place.

Sure, it will create jobs - but the same thing that's happened in Englewood NJ at the Mackay arena could easily happen in the Bronx. With specific demands for ice time and how its usually blocked out, it will be over-run by out of towners and a lot of the local programs will be driven out over time if there isn't a solid plan in place to delegate that correctly.

So its nice to talk about how this will be a shining star for the community in their sales pitch, but they need to take a look at the reality of the situation and not make any empty promises to the locals that will be difficult to keep.

MadHookUp

Jul 24, 2005
Messier was my favorite players growing up. I remember crying when he went to Vancouver. Saying that, I am so happy he is gone. I desperately didn't want him as the coach, and I am scared he might get the GM job over Gorton when Sather retires.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
So just to confirm, Messier was roundly given crap for having no experience as anything but player, then he leaves to grt experience ny running a program and people still give him crap? Tough crowd...

My reactions are two fold.
1 LOL he left because he didn't get to coach.
2 Who cares? What was he going to be in his current position until he's 90? Even if the impetus was not getting to coach it's none of our business but I'm sure every1 is going to be telling the guy what he should and shouldn't be doing. Hypocritical insults will fly and for no real reason because even if he's a baby or a ******* or whatever it does not matter in any way shape or form in regards to this franchise, we fans, anything of import I guess other than this new rink. The irony and hypocrisy is that even if we call him spoiled and a baby we are simultaneously being spoiled babies

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I must admit, I understand Messier's point of view based on Brooks' article today. I always figured Messier interjected himself into the coaching search. The fact that Sather approached him about it, then turned around referenced lack of experience -- an issue that was there since the beginning, is pretty slimy and unprofessional on Sather's part.

Agreed. Quite unprofessional.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Thanks for the needless history lesson. I did know that, all of it...I know, I know, that only adds to my "know-it-all attitude" Sorry. :(

Im simply asking you why you feel the need to produce a litany of excuses as to why this organization has struggled over the last several decades.

6 Stanley Cup finals in their first 14 years of existence in a 6 team league. Way to go! 4 Stanley Cup finals since - in 73 years. And when pressed for a reason as to why thats the case, the best answer you can come up with is a few bad bounces. Thats a crock. Next time you address me, be prepared to discuss the litany of managerial mistakes over those decades. Because, at this point, I feel sorry for you and your state of complacency.

Agreed I especially like his references to how we ran into dominant teams. Isn't that the point that we NEVER built that dominant team?

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
i will not rewrite that. this is part of the drama queen attitude i spoke of. mess was pissed and rightfully so. but he acted professionally when he decided to leave.

you're correct, sather should never have approached him. this thread should be attacking sather for the way he handled the coaching situation. not attacking messier for leaving an organization on good terms after not landing a job that he was approached about.
We don't know that Sather "approached" him. When you have a spot open within an organisation, people within it should have a chance to apply for the position, of they are qualified (or close to). Even if you don't think they are exactly what you are looking for, it's a way of showing confidence in them.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Allow me to share my two Messier experiences.

1-

At an open practice when they had the facility up in Rye, NY, my family decided to humor my younger brother and I by taking us up there. We arrived quite later than we had thought, and missed the practice session, but thankfully we still well within time to catch he players leaving to get autographs.

I'll never forget Beezer coming out in his Volvo, stopping and telling everyone "Guys, I am SO sorry! I have an engagement I have to get to, and just do not have time today to hang around and sign anything. I truly appreciate your support. I hope you all understand." Needless to say we were all shocked that he would feel the need to even explain himself to us, and a steady stream of "thanks beezer!" "have fun!", etc etc flowed from everyone there. It was so nice to see that he truly appreciated all of us.

Shortly there after, a black bentley, which was being held up by Beezer being so kind, raced passed everyone, missing three kids playing rollerhockey by just feet. It was Messier. He couldn't be bothered with saying a word. I cannot stress to you how close he came to killing or maiming those kids.

2-

I was in NYC walking down by Chelsea Piers when I noticed two familiar faces. It was Brian Leetch and His Royal Doucheness.

I saw a little boy and his father near them. He couldn't have been older than 8-10. He ran up to the both of them so absolutely excited. They were obviously two of his heroes. Leetch stopped to talk to the young boy and sign an autograph while Messier continued to walk away. After a few moments, he turned and shouted "We don't have time for this ****, Brian. Let's go!". You could see the kids eyes tearing up a little. Both Myself and the father of the boy called him out. My exact words were "It's pretty gutless to make a young kid like this feel so bad. You're a joke." Brian, being the decent man he was, thoroughly apologized for Messier's actions and off they went.

I am glad that piece of trash is gone.

This makes me think people need to stop hero worshipping sports figures. The things we choose to worship are so base and vain then we're shocked when "hero's" aren't nice. The world needs a**holes to keep things in perspective I think. Teaches the rest of us how NOT to be and hopefully shows us no matter how good you think someone is YOU can always be better. You can bet I'm going to teach my kids to enjoy sports, marvel at the ATHLETIC accomplishments but understand that many of those people are jerks, many of them are nice and the true judge of a person should be based on how they treat you and others which leaves a lot of gray area. As long as it's not blind worship.

Last edited:

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
We don't know that Sather "approached" him. When you have a spot open within an organisation, people within it should have a chance to apply for the position, of they are qualified (or close to). Even if you don't think they are exactly what you are looking for, it's a way of showing confidence in them.

Messier said straight up that Sather approached him first and asked if he'd be interested in coaching the team next year.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Maybe THIS is his way of saying I have to out and get some coaching experience. What is he going to be doing at the new place? Coaching kids.

Never count out Mark Messier for the future...unless he's dead of course lol.

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
Maybe THIS is his way of saying I have to out and get some coaching experience. What is he going to be doing at the new place? Coaching kids.

Never count out Mark Messier for the future...unless he's dead of course lol.

Perhaps he's realized after four years that he wants to coach, not manage. People change career direction all the time. He doesn't get the job offer and instead of hanging around in a role he's not passionate about, he steps down and dedicates himself to a side project while waiting for another coaching opportunity to arise.

SupersonicMonkey*

First of all, I didn't say a few bad bounces is the reason they have "struggled". What i said is a few bounces one way or another could have changed history. Plain and simple. And it is the truth, or, does a double OT goal in a game 7 not count? Richards doesn't score on a fluky goal with second remaining and the Rangers are likely out in the second round last year. Matteau doesn't score a fluky goal and the Rangers maybe don't get passed the Devils and maybe don't win a Cup in '94.

Second off, I am a Rangers fan. I understand quite well what this franchise's short comings are. I've lived through a lot of it, and have taken it upon myself to read books and have done research in my spare time to learn about the history of the game. I am proud of the positive things the Rangers franchise has been able to accomplish. And feel the pain that only a fan of a team could feel when they are unsuccessful. However, I don't feel the need to carry myself with a defeatist attitude and mope and whine, and cling onto false cliches because they're the easy way out of understanding what really happens in situations.

Change your attitude, figure out a way to respond to posters on these boards without A-first insulting them, B-having a snarky attitude, C-thinking you are above everyone else's opinions. There are a lot of intelligent posters here who know their stuff.

or REFRAIN from responding to my posts. Simple as that.

You want to have an intelligent discussion, go right ahead. I love it. I will not delve deeper into nonsensical chest puffing with you. I'm here to talk about hockey.

Thanks.

The Rangers were contenders in these decades: '20s, '30s, '40s, late '60s, '70s, '90s. With a Cup appearance in 1950. Yes, they've been overall bad, in the last 17 years. With two Conference Finals appearances on the bookends of that span (1997-2012) 2013 was an utter disappointment.

The Stanley Cup, as any championship, in any sport, in any league, at any level, is fetching. There are no guarantees one way or the other, and often the best team does not always win. Rangers have had great teams and have come up short. I can give you an endless list in every sport where that is a normal occurrence. Does that make this franchise awful? No, it does not. They are one of the most successful hockey franchises in the world. 4 Stanley Cups and numerous other appearances in Championship rounds, is a lot more then most sports franchises can speak for.

I believe eventually this franchise will win more Cups. When, who knows.

Chicago Blackhawks have done a complete 180° over the last decade. They were a bottom feeder with awful ownership. Now they have two Cups in four years.

Where are the great Montreal Canadiens the last 20 years? The Vancouver Canucks have exactly ZERO Stanley Cups to their name. Sabres? Blues? Kings just won their first. These are franchises that have been around for many decades.

20 years without a Championship is not a disgrace, when there are 30 teams in a league. 12 different winners in the last 18 years, the 19th year was the New York Rangers.

What are we complaining about, here? They were two wins away from the Finals one year ago. Is there THAT big of a reason to assume they can't get back to that point or further, soon? Oh I know, the Blackhawks, Bruins, Penguins. Again, nothing is guaranteed. Match ups, some luck, some bounces, that's how things happen. RARELY does a team dominate its way from beginning to end. The 2013 Blackhawks are the closest thing to that in decades and at points they scraped by by the skin of their teeth.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009

Agreed, if what Messier is saying is true, I can see where he's coming from. Sather knew Messier's inexperience was an issue all along, so why approach him in the first place? Trying to make sense of these bizarre decisions makes my brain hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad