Confirmed with Link: Messier leaves Rangers

chip chipperson*

I told this story before on here I worked for the Messier foundation for many years. Messier and his family are extremely weird almost to a fault. They are extremely close to a point the relationship between his sister and him is creepy .. I worked tons of messier private details and spent many hours a lone talking hockey with mark and his dad which was a thrill and honor. I have also seen a dark mean side of messier towards fans and people when cameras aren't around Mark can be nasty unfriendly and very rude. I was at a rangers vs devils Hal per season a few years ago when mark refused to shake hands with me and when I reminded him that I worked for him I got a fist bump and a excuse me lol . mark can be odd

so if mess shooke your hand would you have still written a post (more than once as you claim) airing mess' laundry regarding relationships with his family? im sure he appreciates your story.

chip chipperson*

Because he's an *******. Who only cares about himself and feels like the Rangers owe him. Which I guess we do, having won us a Cup and getting us the 4th round pick that became Callahan, but he doesn't have to be a dbag about it.

so... your boss approaches you and asks if your interested in a new prominent position within the company. you think about it and gain interest. you respond yes and go on an interview. you don't get the job. how do you feel about it? mess did what any person wants to do in that position. he left. we all wish we could do that, but close to 100% of the time we stay because we need to. he didnt. he said alright well **** this and left. its not a big loss to the organization, but he did what he felt was right. good for him.

now explain how he is a dbag and an *******, please.

i dont understand the rationality or the reasoning for some of the conclusions some people are coming to.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
This thread reads like a bunch of Devils' fans whining and *****ing about Parise.

Messier wanted to be the coach, and he saw something more interesting than being a "special assistant" , and when he didn't get the promotion, he went elsewhere.

He wasn't throwing a fit, or being a crybaby. Any and everyone here would do the exact same thing, and the wouldn't be at all wrong for it.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Some players are better left as the legends you remember them as on the ice. Not what they tried behind the bench (ex Gretzky)

I have no ill feelings towards Messier leaving. All the best and hope to see you with the org again down the road.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
Glad to see him go. I don't like when stars put their legacies on the line again after their playing careers. I much prefer when they stay in positions where you can always root for them.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
This is probably best for the organization as Messier needed to put in the work if he was interested in a significant role. Hopefully he is still out of the picture when Sather steps down.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Sather asked Messier about the coaching job? Within a few hours of Torts getting fired,Messier's name was front and center as the replacement. How Messier could have had the Oiler job last summer. Someone leaked that stuff. Someone leaked how much Messier wanted the coaching job without any experience. Messier doesn't believe coaching experience is important because he is 52 and played the game. Messier wanted the job and left the organization when he did not get it. He is not replacing Sather either. Mess doesn't want to put the work in. Sather said he needs experience. Mark doesn't get it. He doesn't even have the guts to explain why he left. Good riddance. Excellent player. Great player. You can have the rest.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Something I did? I was a kid. I even told him I idolized him and he wouldn't acknowledge me

Ouch that must have hurt. Seems like Mess picks his spots?

Says a lot that this organization cut ties with its favorite son

Time to stop living in the past

chip chipperson*

Sather asked Messier about the coaching job? Within a few hours of Torts getting fired,Messier's name was front and center as the replacement. How Messier could have had the Oiler job last summer. Someone leaked that stuff. Someone leaked how much Messier wanted the coaching job without any experience. Messier doesn't believe coaching experience is important because he is 52 and played the game. Messier wanted the job and left the organization when he did not get it. He is not replacing Sather either. Mess doesn't want to put the work in. Sather said he needs experience. Mark doesn't get it. He doesn't even have the guts to explain why he left. Good riddance. Excellent player. Great player. You can have the rest.

MOD, see posts 172 and 177.

Last edited by a moderator:

chip chipperson*

so besides a few bad interactions with mess, no one has yet to articulate why mess is an ******* and can justify the "good riddance" comments. drama queens. mess was approached by sather and then sather didn't hire him. mess has every right to be pissed off about it. he left on good terms with sather and the team, and left to promote a hockey program in the bronx. yea what a dbag. grow up you phonies.

SupersonicMonkey*

That should be the slogan of the team.

Catchy. Its also complete BS. 1 cup in 73 years. 27 of which occurred in a league with 6 teams! 6!!!

Thats a ton of bad bounces

1994 Champs.

1979 Stanley Cup Finals. Rangers 40 win underdogs get to the Finals against 52 win dominant Canadiens team.

1972 Stanley Cup Finals. Every game the Rangers lose in the 6 game series is by ONE goal, with exception to game 6. Again dominant Bruins team.

1950 Stanley Cup Finals. Rangers can't play a single playoff game on home ice because of the Circus. Game 7 double overtime. Pete Babando scores.

1940 Champs.

1937 Stanley Cup Final. Rangers lose 3 games to 2. Goal differential? One goal.

1933 Champs.

1932 Stanley Cup Final. Lost handily.

1929 Stanley Cup Final. Lost handily.

1928 Champs.

I didn't even have to look any of that up. But you knew all of that, right? Because you know everything to back up that pompous know-it-all attitude, right?

You know about the political landscape of the NHL through that "6 team" era, right? Such as the Canadiens and Maple Leafs rights within a 50 mile radius, prime player development areas, and the Canadiens had been granted special drafts to maintain rights to players other teams couldn't touch. James Norris basically owned in one way or another the Red Wings, Blackhawks, Rangers, and Bruins at once "The Norris House League". You knew that right? Rangers had to lose high profile players to the second world war. Rangers couldn't play home playoff games...ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Also, I bet he goes to Vancouver. :sarcasm:

We already rioted twice. Don't tempt us again. :P

This thread reads like a bunch of Devils' fans whining and *****ing about Parise.

Messier wanted to be the coach, and he saw something more interesting than being a "special assistant" , and when he didn't get the promotion, he went elsewhere.

He wasn't throwing a fit, or being a crybaby. Any and everyone here would do the exact same thing, and the wouldn't be at all wrong for it.

Not if you legitimately aspired to coach at the NHL level. People are calling him a baby because he felt entitled to the position. Pay your dues and learn the position, which is what being an assistant would accomplish. He could take over for AV down the road perhaps. A team like the Rangers on the cusp of being a perennial cup contender needs the best talent, not someone who can't take over his ego.

If Patrick Roy could handle juniors for five years. Messier could coach in the AHL or be an assistant.

Last edited:

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
so besides a few bad interactions with mess, no one has yet to articulate why mess is an ******* and can justify the "good riddance" comments. drama queens. mess was approached by sather and then sather didn't hire him. mess has every right to be pissed off about it. he left on good terms with sather and the team, and left to promote a hockey program in the bronx. yea what a dbag. grow up you phonies.

One of the better posts I've seen on HF. :handclap:

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
I've heard numerous reports from people who met him who said he's a jerk. While I appreciate what he did for us as a player, I won't mourn his departure from management.

Didn't he get some women or woman pregnant when he was a player and refuse to help her and she filed a paternity suit against him? He sounds like a dick!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Pissed off yet leaving on good terms. You might want to rewrite that. FWIW Sather should have never approached him about it--that's if what Messier claims is actually true. Mark may be larger than life but if he wants to coach then he needs to get some experience. No shortcuts. Do the work and show some commitment to it. Simple as that. Just being Mark Messier is not enough.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Messier wanted the coaching job. He didn't get it. He decided to leave the organization to pursue something else. That's his choice and I'm not going to kill him for it.

Maybe he didn't really like what he's been doing the last 4 years and saw the coaching opportunity as something he'd rather do. Maybe he doesn't really know what he wants to do and just wants to try different things.

I agree that if he wants to coach, then he should start at a lower level or at least as an assistant. But he saw an opportunity to start at the top and he went for it.

None of us are inside his head, so it's unfair to make assumptions about what he's thinking. Personally, I'm glad he left the organization for the simple fact that I don't think he would have made a good coach or GM. But I don't harbor any ill feelings toward him. It's his life. He can do what he wants with it.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
If we're going down Memory Lane I have 2 Messier stories: first story my uncle and I used to have partial season tix and we'd wait for autographs before the game and Messier, Leetch, Lindros would take a limo to the Garden. Leetch and Lindros would sign for the fans but Messier would blow everyone off every time. Second story my uncle and I caught Messier in the lobby before a game so I was maybe 15 at the time, I kept walking with him while my uncle asked if he would take a pic with me. Messier never stopped so my uncle had to snap a quick pic, needless to say he wasn't even posing for the pic and you see me trying to get him to sign a puck in the pic. Complete ****** both times I met him.

Maybe he doesn't want to be bothered before a game.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007
Messier wanted the coaching job. He didn't get it. He decided to leave the organization to pursue something else. That's his choice and I'm not going to kill him for it.

Maybe he didn't really like what he's been doing the last 4 years and saw the coaching opportunity as something he'd rather do. Maybe he doesn't really know what he wants to do and just wants to try different things.

I agree that if he wants to coach, then he should start at a lower level or at least as an assistant. But he saw an opportunity to start at the top and he went for it.

None of us are inside his head, so it's unfair to make assumptions about what he's thinking. Personally, I'm glad he left the organization for the simple fact that I don't think he would have made a good coach or GM. But I don't harbor any ill feelings toward him. It's his life. He can do what he wants with it.

It became a dead end job for him. He wasn't the coach and it looks like Gorton has the fast track to be GM. So....why stay? Move on, and keep your options open.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad