Confirmed with Link: Messier leaves Rangers

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
http://snyrangersblog.com/rangers/n...on/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Sad to see him go but this isn't unexpected....

Mark Messier issued the following statement today regarding his future:

“I would like to thank the New York Rangers and particularly Glen Sather for giving me the opportunity over the last four years to work with the Rangers. I am resigning my position with the Team to pursue an opportunity to expand the game of hockey in the New York area by developing the Kingsbridge National Ice Center. Although some will perceive this as a reaction to the coaching decision, nothing could be further from the truth. I completely respect the decision that was made and for all the reasons it was made. I harbor no hard feelings toward Glen or the Rangers. This is a personal choice I am making to create a program in the New York area that will give our children more choices and opportunities in the future. I wish the Rangers nothing but the best in the future.“

New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather statement:

“Mark Messier will always be a part of the New York Rangers family. As a player and then as part of the management team, he brought incomparable passion and dedication to the organization. We wish him well in his future endeavors.”

Punxrocknyc19*

Messier leaves organization again

http://snyrangersblog.com/rangers/news-mark-messier-leaves-rangers-organization/

What a freaking spoiled baby. He left because he didnt get to be head coach.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
I've heard numerous reports from people who met him who said he's a jerk. While I appreciate what he did for us as a player, I won't mourn his departure from management.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
So much for the idea that he just wanted to do whatever he thought he could to help the organization.

charlie460

Stone Age Hockey
Nov 25, 2011
Norway
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 1m
Glen Sather says not getting the coaching job was "part" of Messier's decision.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
Whatever.

Loved him as a player for this team, and he'll always have a role as a club ambassador, but he's proven nothing in terms of his ability to either coach or evaluate talent in the NHL, or any level really.

Not even a measurable loss for this team, let's move on.

abev

Sep 30, 2005
NY
www.fakepuppy.com
The sticking point with Messier is that he wanted two of his guys to be assistant coaches. Sather insisted that at least one coach have NHL coaching experience. Messier said no. Sather said 'see ya'.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Hahaha, predictable.

The best part is he isn't even leaving to coach somewhere. He will not get a coaching job in the NHL so long as he refuses to put in some time and gain some experience at the lower levels.

Now I won't have to worry about him taking over Sather's position as GM anytime in the near future.

Kershaw

Good riddance. Hopefully Graves and the other 94 alumni follow up.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
He went from wanting to be a head coach to leaving the organization. What a little *****. Good riddance. Love Mark Messier the hockey player. Don't care for the other stuff.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
The sticking point with Messier is that he wanted two of his guys to be assistant coaches. Sather insisted that at least one coach have NHL coaching experience. Messier said no. Sather said 'see ya'.

Link?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Eh, he'll be back in some capacity in the next few years. Book it. He's just waiting until Sather retires before he starts being best friends with Dolan again.

Loved him as a player of course but for anyone who follows wrestling or watched Star Trek: TNG, he became a Hulk Hogan/HHH/Patrick Stewart; he had too much of a role in personnel decisions and what happened backstage at the end of his first stint and in his second stint.

As a talent evaluator and tutor; he raved about Brendan Bell from the Spengler Cup and worked on faceoffs with the young centers and neither really went well.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Eh no big loss. This isn't 1997 or 2004. I love the guy & will always apperciate everything he did for this orginization. I hope he stays active at the NHL level in some capacity because I think he van be a tremendous assett to the leauge or a team.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
He went from wanting to be a head coach to leaving the organization. What a little *****.

Yeah great player, but where does this sense of entitlement come from? He had absolutely no coaching experience at all, yet expects to be the first choice? Anyway, should Sather retire, we get spared from Messier and Gorton now is the unanimous heir apparent.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Eh, he'll be back in some capacity in the next few years. Book it. He's just waiting until Sather retires before he starts being best friends with Dolan again.

Yeah, good point. When Sather steps down (in probably 40 years or so) it wouldn't be surprising if Jimmy lets Messier leapfrog all the real candidates and go right into the GM job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad